Sponsored by:

Repair of Porsche Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM
chuckla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair of Porsche Sport Exhaust

Did not use the sport button during the long, cold winter. When i hit it a few weeks ago, the accelerator sensitivity and the stiffened suspension worked normally, but I could hear no sport exhaust notes. I took it to the dealer (visit #1 lasting > 1 hour) on 3/12. The tech diagnosed the problem as needing a new solenoid (sp?), which the dealer needed to order.

Visit #2 was a week later. During that visit (> 2 hours), a tech diagnosed the problem as needing a new vacuum hose/thing (?), which also had to be ordered.

Visit #3 was this past Saturday. During that visit (3 hrs), a tech repaced both the vacuum hose/thing and the solenoid. Apparently, noone test drove the car. I took the car and immediately observed that the exhaust was louder but had no ascending or descending sound notes on up and down shifts.

I have a call into the Service Mgr of the dealership to find out why it is having so much difficulty restoring the factory sound setting. This is my first experience with an enhanced exhaust plus I am as non-technical as anyone who ever turned a Porsche key.

So, can anyone tell me what they think about this? That is, why can't the dealership fix the problem and suggestions on what I should do next. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My very non-educated guess is you have a few components involved, and basically an actuator is moving a flap to direct the exhaust one way or the other. This actuator is moved by vacuum, and the vacuum is controlled by a soleniod that receives is signal (voltage) from the switch on your dash.
They tried one component first, the solenoid ot the actuator, and when that didn't fix it, they went with the other component.

Quick Reply: Repair of Porsche Sport Exhaust