Sponsored by:

track seat options/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:10 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default track seat options/opinions

Looking at all the seats out there and I'm probably not going to get to test them before I buy them (not many places around here sell them, nevermind stock them) so I was hoping to hear some opinions.

Here is who I've considered so far, have I missed any?

OMP
Corbeau
Recaro
Sparco
Cobra

I need a wide and tall seat to accomodate my size but feed back on general quiality would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Kanata Ford Motorsports should have some Sparco seats in stock.

I have the OMP Big in my GT3. It's a TIGHT fit in the car. The back is a lot taller than other seats and this is something I had to have.

I had someone measure me to figure out what seat was right for me.
Seat dimensions are available online from each manufacturer.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:01 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How tall are you and what's your waist size? (I'm 6'6" and. 40-42)
Old 03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

6' 5" / 40 Tall in the Torso.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends in part on the use on the track - DE or racing. For DE the Porsche Euro GT3 seats are a very good choice and easy install. For racing I think you want/need a halo seat and should really try them out before you decide.

BTW although others have used the knock-off GT3 seats for DEs, I don't trust them because I have no idea of the quality of their construction and of course none of them have passed any certification or formal testing that I am aware of. Thus I would only go with the factory seat or the Recaro equivalent in this seat for track use.

Suggest you also post this question in the racing/DE forum if you haven't already.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Depends in part on the use on the track - DE or racing. For DE the Porsche Euro GT3 seats are a very good choice and easy install. For racing I think you want/need a halo seat and should really try them out before you decide.

BTW although others have used the knock-off GT3 seats for DEs, I don't trust them because I have no idea of the quality of their construction and of course none of them have passed any certification or formal testing that I am aware of. Thus I would only go with the factory seat or the Recaro equivalent in this seat for track use.

Suggest you also post this question in the racing/DE forum if you haven't already.
I retrofitted the Euro GT3 seats in my previous 996 and have the GT3/GT2 factory sport seats in my 997. I agree with p-cardriver that these seats are top quality, very supportive, and you know that they are safe and have been crash certified. They are of course, expensive. The main issue will be whether you fit. I'm 6'2" 190 and 36" in the waist and both seats were/are a pretty snug fit. With your size, you should try to find someone with the seats you want to buy before you commit the money.
Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

I've sat in the GT3 seats. The guides for the shoulder belts are in the middle of my shoulder blades. The seatbacks are too short.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 241 Posts

Part of your decision should include whether or not the seats will be used in daily driving as well.

I love my 6-GT3 seats that I have in my 986. They are very snug on my fat *** (5'11, 208 lbs these days) but I don't move at all when cornering (used with 6-pt harnesses). It is not a great set up for a daily driver and fortunately it is not a DD.

Also, if your car is a DD and you are planning on installing harnesses, consider keeping your stock seat belts as well. Things like backing up, drive-thrus, and tolls are a pain when your harnessed in.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:20 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I've sat in the GT3 seats. The guides for the shoulder belts are in the middle of my shoulder blades. The seatbacks are too short.
Then you definitely need to try before you buy. You can get seat specs on line from the mfgr's sites to narrow the field, but from there you should sit in them to be sure of all the fittments.

From there the better shops can help with sliders, brackets, etc to ensure a proper installation in your car.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:25 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
Part of your decision should include whether or not the seats will be used in daily driving as well.

I love my 6-GT3 seats that I have in my 986. They are very snug on my fat *** (5'11, 208 lbs these days) but I don't move at all when cornering (used with 6-pt harnesses). It is not a great set up for a daily driver and fortunately it is not a DD.

Also, if your car is a DD and you are planning on installing harnesses, consider keeping your stock seat belts as well. Things like backing up, drive-thrus, and tolls are a pain when your harnessed in.
I actually preferred my 6-GT3 seats to the standard seats (I'm about your size), except that they didn't have heaters which are a must in winter. I sold them when I decided to stop taking the 997 to the track. While I like their comfort better, its worth noting that for the street they don't have the thorax air bags and you'll need to be sure that your other airbags will deploy if needed. I believe the new GT3 seats pictured above do have the airbags and look more comfy for the street than the old ones, but I haven't sat in them (yet).
Old 03-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I believe the new GT3 seats pictured above do have the airbags and look more comfy for the street than the old ones, but I haven't sat in them (yet).
They do have airbags mounted in the side bolster, unlike the old GT3 seats. Comfort wise, and in terms of fit they are pretty similar; maybe a bit more padding. They are also unheated. The big difference in terms of practicality is that the seatbacks are hinged, allowing better access to the rear.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
They do have airbags mounted in the side bolster, unlike the old GT3 seats. Comfort wise, and in terms of fit they are pretty similar; maybe a bit more padding. They are also unheated. The big difference in terms of practicality is that the seatbacks are hinged, allowing better access to the rear.
If you use the Porsche configurator for the new Boxster Spyder you can spec those seats (or a pair that look very similar) with heaters - so there is some hope that they will become available. Meanwhile your set up is pretty perfect for a DD/DE car because it accommodates both standard seat belts and harnesses, includes the airbags and is otherwise a plug-and-play solution. Plus it looks cool!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
I am 6'5" 240... 38 waist. I sat in a Sparco Evo3 and loved it. The Evo 3 is wider than their Evo and Evo2. I've sat in both the 996 GT3 seat and the 997 Sport Bucket seat...both pictureed in this thread....and they are way 2 narrow and short. PLUS on the seat mounting hardware they also is up way too high and with a helmet on you will never fit in the Porsche seats. Too bad Porsche does not consider in it's offerings taller people fo it's cars!

Which ever seat you get you will need to have custom mount built so that you sit low in the car and propery fit otherwise your helmet will be stick up in the roof.

Another thought....what have you done to get the steering wheel closer to you?

Please keep us informed with the seats you pick and the custom mounting hardware. THANKS!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
I am 6'5" 240...I sat in a Sparco Evo3 and loved it. The Evo 3 is wider than their Evo and Evo2.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

If you use the Porsche configurator for the new Boxster Spyder you can spec those seats (or a pair that look very similar) with heaters - so there is some hope that they will become available. Meanwhile your set up is pretty perfect for a DD/DE car because it accommodates both standard seat belts and harnesses, includes the airbags and is otherwise a plug-and-play solution. Plus it looks cool!
Thanks! Out of curiousity I went to the configurator for the Spyder to check out the seats. Maybe I missed something, but it seems that heat is only available with the optional Leather Sport Seats and climate control. When I chose the standard sport seats (which appear very similar to mine) and tried to check heated seats, it told me "component not selectable".

Quick Reply: track seat options/opinions