Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any mObridge install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Any mObridge install instructions?

I think I am most probably going to go with mObridge for my iPod/Bluetooth.

I haven't been able to find an install instructions.

Anyone's installed it behind the PCM? Is it easy/hard to do? What's the pros/cons vs. frunk install?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I think I am most probably going to go with mObridge for my iPod/Bluetooth.

I haven't been able to find an install instructions.

Anyone's installed it behind the PCM? Is it easy/hard to do? What's the pros/cons vs. frunk install?

Thanks
Go to their web site - they actually have it all there in pretty good details, look in download section.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Go to their web site - they actually have it all there in pretty good details, look in download section.
Hmm, I did and I don't find it that good. It explains the connectivity, but not how to remove PCM (I found that here), attach the unit behind it, how to wire the iPod module, and how to wire/mount the bluetooth microphone (I wanna use steering column).
Old 03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Removing the PCM isn't hard once you know where the fasteners are. It takes me about 10 or 15 minutes to remove. The best DIY guide is by Edgy when he installed a Tooki. Search under Tooki.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Removing the PCM isn't hard once you know where the fasteners are. It takes me about 10 or 15 minutes to remove. The best DIY guide is by Edgy when he installed a Tooki. Search under Tooki.
Yes, I saw that. Since he's got a Cab, is there any difference in PCM removal vs. Coupe? I think some of the fasteners are in different locations, no?

Also, after putting the unit behind PCM, where/how do I take the iPod/SD card module to?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:43 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I did and I don't find it that good. It explains the connectivity, but not how to remove PCM (I found that here), attach the unit behind it, how to wire the iPod module, and how to wire/mount the bluetooth microphone (I wanna use steering column).
well, all mobridge by itself requires is a connection to the optical ring bus.
what you ask about is how to take off some stock parts... I did not do it. My mobridge in installed in a trunk, but I do not say it is an ideal location.

most people I know had mobridge installed in the space behind glove box, not behind PCM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

well, all mobridge by itself requires is connection to optical ring bus.
what you ask about if how to take off some stock parts... I did not do it. My mobridge in installed in a trunk, but I do not say it is an ideal location.

most people I know had mobridge installed in space behind glove box, not behind PCM.
Thanks!

Do you know if there a gap to pass the wires underneath the PCM where the slot is? That's be ideal to hook up iPod.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

well, all mobridge by itself requires is a connection to the optical ring bus.
what you ask about is how to take off some stock parts... I did not do it. My mobridge in installed in a trunk, but I do not say it is an ideal location.

most people I know had mobridge installed in the space behind glove box, not behind PCM.
When I searched on your posts, you had quite a few issues with mObridge being recognized by PCM.

Was there a particular thing you recommend to ensure it's recognized without a glitch? I got no CD changer, so I hope I should be fine.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Yes, I saw that. Since he's got a Cab, is there any difference in PCM removal vs. Coupe? I think some of the fasteners are in different locations, no?

Also, after putting the unit behind PCM, where/how do I take the iPod/SD card module to?
In the coupe, you don't have a subwoofer to remove on the passenger side. It is more similar to the procedure for panel removal on the driver side. Other than that, the PCM removal is the same once you get access to the screws to remove the upholstered pieces on each side of the center stack.
I mounted a Dension behind the PCM on my last car and ran the cables to the glove box. However, another choice is to run them into the console. However I find the console storage bin awkward to access, so another choice is to run them into the tray at base of center stack in front of shifter. To do that, you need to remove the tray and cut a hole big enough for the connector to slide through. I used a dremel to make a slot for the iPod connector in my current car. To remove that tray, you need to remove the shifter boot, base and trim to provide room to slide the tray out the front.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

In the coupe, you don't have a subwoofer to remove on the passenger side. It is more similar to the procedure for panel removal on the driver side. Other than that, the PCM removal is the same once you get access to the screws to remove the upholstered pieces on each side of the center stack.
I mounted a Dension behind the PCM on my last car and ran the cables to the glove box. However, another choice is to run them into the console. However I find the console storage bin awkward to access, so another choice is to run them into the tray at base of center stack in front of shifter. To do that, you need to remove the tray and cut a hole big enough for the connector to slide through. I used a dremel to make a slot for the iPod connector in my current car. To remove that tray, you need to remove the shifter boot, base and trim to provide room to slide the tray out the front.
I rather don't make holes. Is that required to run cables into glove box?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I rather don't make holes. Is that required to run cables into glove box?
I was able to get the cables into the glove box without drilling holes, but I didn't find that location too convenient.

With a small hole at the back of the plastic tray, you can't even see it. When I subsequently removed the cable, I just installed a piece of black velcro over the slot back in there.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I was able to get the cables into the glove box without drilling holes, but I didn't find that location too convenient.

With a small hole at the back of the plastic tray, you can't even see it. When I subsequently removed the cable, I just installed a piece of black velcro over the slot back in there.
Plastic tray on the back glove box you mean? Do you have any pics of it? Of where the cables can run with least issues?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

When I searched on your posts, you had quite a few issues with mObridge being recognized by PCM.

Was there a particular thing you recommend to ensure it's recognized without a glitch? I got no CD changer, so I hope I should be fine.
I had pretty unique situation as I bought my unit from Ebay and it was pre-configured for mercedes. I struggled a bit with configuration written on sd-card but was able on next day to configure it over bluetooth. if your unit is originally configured for Porsche it is really plug and play thing, it works right away.

yes you can get wires to that storage area under PCM - search some posts here and on renntech how to dismount PCM - you take off right wall from passenger side and after that you can access it I think. it all is not as complicated as it seems. you will need torx bits to unscrew those bolts.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Plastic tray on the back glove box you mean? Do you have any pics of it? Of where the cables can run with least issues?

Thanks
No, I meant the plastic tray at the bottom of the center stack, with the rubber surface on bottom. You can barely see back in there, so any hole is pretty unnoticeable, especially if you have some cable and possibly an iPod sitting in there. I liked it because it can be easily reached from the driver's position (compared to glove box or console cubby), and the space isn't good for much else anyway.

Quick Reply: Any mObridge install instructions?