Sponsored by:

Need Advice on FUN Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The Maserati Q. Comes out real well in 3 or 4 big coupe (correction: make that sedan) shoot out in recent (this month or last month) issue of UK published Top Gear or Evo magazine or even Car. I'm at work and can't do a quick of the mag title.

The Vantage Rapide does well, but costs way more. The Panamera doesn't fare so well, especially in side bar that covers what it is like to spend lots of time in the rear seat.

The drivers didn't like the Panamera that much either. IIRC, the Panamera comes in a 3rd or 4th. Not a good showing for the Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.
OTOH, the March issue of Car and Driver did a comparison test of the BMW 750i, the Maserati Q and the Panamera S and the Porsche came out on top. Guess it depends on who you want to believe......
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, you need to help us, HELP YOU! How big of a car do you like? and what's your budget (apart from less than 150).

I personally don't like anything as large as 7-series, S8, but you had 7-series as one of your options. I personally don't like Panamera at all, so with you on that. The Aston Martin Rapide to me is the best looking 4-door car you can buy, but that's out of your budget...

Here are my choices. I like smaller 4-doors as you can see:

Best Value: Audi RS4. It's the best AWD sedan you can buy today. Wide body, incredible manual transmission, sweet exhuast note, V8 torque, all bells and whistels, nice interior. Can't find new, but can get a pre-owned at great prices!
Best looking: Audi S5. Looks much more expensive that what it costs, best interior in the market, not sure if back seats are as comfortable for you, V8.
Great overall: M3 - definitely one of the best 2-dr/4-dr cars you can get. I HATE the looks of the 4dr, but 2-dr look pretty good IMO. Back seats may not be as comfortable. M5 is a great option but you don't wanna wait till next year and current model doesn't seem to be your preference.

I personally never liked Mercedes too much, but both C63 and E63 AMG have amazing engines and look pretty good.

I've never been in a Maserati Quattroporte, looks amazing, and if the engine the same as the one in Gran Sport (that I've tried), then definitely a great car!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Alex ...I am conflicted for sure. Love the M3, but as a 44yo guy, was not sure if that car is too "ricky racer" for someone my age, which is why I was considering the M5. I also dig the Audi RS4 or 5, but to my knowledge, the cars are not coming to the states anytime soon. So, at this point, leaning toward the S5.

Would anyone consider one of the new Jaguar models? I read / heard that the technology inside is unparalleled
Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

The Panamera rear view is not an issue at all. Try it again.

BTW... the side mirrors are not small. They provide a rather large rearview. Aim them correctly - using the CHP method.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

CHP?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:06 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Jag

I thought about these as an option as I have read the reviews as well.... but to me the styling is just not there. I want the car to perform but look good while doing so and just the Jag styling left me scratching my head....something missing there IMO...

Originally Posted by cole328
Thanks Alex ...I am conflicted for sure. Love the M3, but as a 44yo guy, was not sure if that car is too "ricky racer" for someone my age, which is why I was considering the M5. I also dig the Audi RS4 or 5, but to my knowledge, the cars are not coming to the states anytime soon. So, at this point, leaning toward the S5.

Would anyone consider one of the new Jaguar models? I read / heard that the technology inside is unparalleled
Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

You're right, M3 a bit racy looking. RS4 a lot more *mature* looking. The new models are not available, you can only get the 2008 pre-owned, still a great choice. RS5 coming out in Europe this year, not sure when in US. Maybe also S6? if you like that size of a sedan.

Jaguar's have come a long way, definitely worth test driving.

If you picked a Jag, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE B&W Audio option. I tested a B&W system in a Jag while at CES and it BLEW ME AWAY, the best car audio I've ever heard, great interior and fit and finish too.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
The Panamera rear view is not an issue at all. Try it again.

BTW... the side mirrors are not small. They provide a rather large rearview. Aim them correctly - using the CHP method.
Isn't that subjective? maybe not an issue for you, but it is for the OP!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I thought about these as an option as I have read the reviews as well.... but to me the styling is just not there. I want the car to perform but look good while doing so and just the Jag styling left me scratching my head....something missing there IMO...
Jag styling is an acquired taste, although they've come A LONG WAY, and looks a lot more modern and younger lately. Specially as the main Aston Martin designer took the helm at Jaguar (doesn't the new ones remind you a little of Aston)?
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hmmmmmmm...

BMW X6M?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-8-...eature=related

New, unique, lots of room for two couples...this car is not for everyone that's for sure...not my top choice but can appreciate its appeal to some...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

it does indeed in fact, i like the XF supercharged good looking car, and the technology inside was simply rediculously cool
Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

BMW X6M?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-8-...eature=related

New, unique, lots of room for two couples...this car is not for everyone that's for sure...not my top choice but can appreciate its appeal to some...
I'd rather drive a "vette (kidding)
Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

BMW X6M?

I actually don't like any of these new sport utility cars... they are compromise in all departments!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alexb76
Isn't that subjective? maybe not an issue for you, but it is for the OP!
It's not subjective. It is an adaptive process. You just learn the new interface. When I first drove the Panamera I reacted to the different rearview interface, but once I understood the tools and adjusted them I had no problem. Besides... I do not drive looking rearward most of the time.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

CHP?
... as in California Highway Patrol:

"For the driver's side mirror: Place the side of your head against the window, then adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view. For the passenger's side mirror: While sitting in the driver's seat, lean to the right so that your head is in the car's centerline. Adjust the mirror until the side of your vehicle comes into view."

Quick Reply: Need Advice on FUN Daily Driver