Sponsored by:

Converting valet key into remote key

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting valet key into remote key

After reading a couple of rijowysock's recent posts about dealing with the plastic key fobs I had an idea. I decided I would post this first to get a little bit of feedback before I start tearing keys apart. I plan on doing something similar to what I did with my Audi A4 valet key. A quick overview of the process is available here.I really don't ever envision myself actually using the plastic key so this might be a cheaper way to obtain a third remote fob. Completing the process for the Audi was very easy and quite inexpensive. I think I spent around $35 total to convert my valet key to an actual remote key.

So here are my questions.....1) Am I overlooking anything major? 2) Is the immobilizer chip removable from the valet key? 3) Is the immobilizer used the same in the valet key and the remote fob? 4) Am I crazy thinking this would work?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

the valet key is made to degrade with use, so over time it wont work anymore... thats why its plastic..

what else are you looking to do? just trying to bypass the cost of a real key? i have a friend @ dealer that gives cost if you need a real key ;-)
Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Hamotee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the valet key is made to degrade with use, so over time it wont work anymore... thats why its plastic..
Exactly my point. The valet key is basically worthless to me. Why not try to convert it into a "real" third key on the cheap?

Quick Reply: Converting valet key into remote key