Review: RSS Solid Suspension Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Review: RSS Solid Suspension Kit

Product Review: RSS Monoball/Solid Suspension Kit

After a lot of discussion I decided to change all the rubber suspension parts in my 997S to solid pieces by RSS.

The idea is that Porsche uses rubber bushings in its road cars in order to avoid excess noises from metal on metal bushings, but the downside is if you track your car, you are not getting the most out of it.

1. Rubber bushings numb steering feel
2. Rubber bushings do not hold tight tolerance alignments and change under hard driving
3. Steering feedback is effected

RSS makes all parts in house in the USA, and supplies many pro teams with these parts.

RSS Monoball Kit:

1. Solid Lower Control Arm Bushings (Front & Rear)
2. Adjustable Solid Toe Links
3. Solid adjustable Upper Control Arms (Dog Bones)

Install was done By Head tech at RSS: Anthony

I have to say , the parts look beautiful and are made very well.

Road Impressions:

many are worried to do this mod, because they still drive their car on the street and feel that it will add to much noise and vibration. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The noise is not noticeable at all until you are on a very bump road and unless you are hearing for it, its almost unnoticeable. I was VERY happy about this:

Road Ride:

It vast improved the steering input and feel, like I can feel the road much better and it can be felt better on the wheel, which means you are getting better feedback.

The ride was not adversely effected, and barely noticeable. You will here a little creaking now in then, like when doing u turns, but its really an after thought. If you have the radio on or loud exhaust, its a moot point.

Now for the goods,

Track Impressions:

This is one of THE BEST mods I have done for the track. Turn in is much crisper and precise, you can feel the car much better through fats corners. I can feel when the car is getting closer too the limit now, and feel much more confident on the track.

It really transforms the feel of the car. Porsche 911's have always FELT like a great car and the steering input and feedback is one of the best in the world.

The RSS solid suspension pieces magnify this feeling even more and your steering FELL improves dramatically, Like the car is doing exactly what you want with no wiggle room.

The Added Benefits:

I wanted to try these parts at a track that I go to a to a lot, and with the only change being the RSS solid suspension parts.

I visited Willow Springs Raceway on testing day.

Last time I was there (same tires (Toyo R888), suspension (JRZ), weight (3280) I was doing 1:42 laps.

With the new RSS solid suspension pieces, that car felt better and more solid, I was able to be more confident and carry more speed into turns.

At the end of the day I was turning 1:38 laps.. and improvement of 4 SECONDS!!!!

I was astonished! I think it was that they car felt more solid, so I was able to push it harder. (Better feel = better confidence = faster laps)

I have to say this is hands down one of the best mods I have done to my car. It really tied together all the other suspension mods I have done and now I feel they are working together as a whole.

Another Benefit is that the alignment specs are held in line by the solid pieces so I don't have to get a $400 alignment done as often.

Conclusion:

If any of you track your cars more than a few times a year or are serious about making your car feel better, YOU HAVE TO GET THESE SOLID SUSPENSION PARTS!

Fron now on any other porsche I get will get these solid suspension parts, including my next car which will be a GT3!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Porsche uses rubber so as to not every car into a competition machine. If you want to stiffen up these cars you;re entitled to do so. But it will be brutal on the public highways!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsche uses rubber so as to not every car into a competition machine. If you want to stiffen up these cars you;re entitled to do so. But it will be brutal on the public highways!
I disagree, I have the full solid suspension pieces and JRZ suspension... and the car still rides great on the street.

Its not much different than if you ride with the sport button on...

If you want smooth comfort all the time I suggest a Lexus.

This is a mod for those of us that love taking our cars to the track and getting the most out of them.

If you don't track your car, then spend money elsewhere, this is not the mods for you.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Is it really that nice still? That's incredible!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
I disagree, I have the full solid suspension pieces and JRZ suspension... and the car still rides great on the street.

Its not much different than if you ride with the sport button on...

If you want smooth comfort all the time I suggest a Lexus.

This is a mod for those of us that love taking our cars to the track and getting the most out of them.

If you don't track your car, then spend money elsewhere, this is not the mods for you.
It's obviously very subjective and there are big differences between what various people will tolerate and think is a great ride. The condition of the roads you drive on makes a difference too. You've obviously got a setup that works great for you. For my part, my old 996 was lowered about 35mm with JRZ shocks, stiffer Eibach springs, and GT3 sway bars. Many of the roads in my area are not in top shape and they hammered that car and me. My enjoyment driving on the street was greatly reduced, although it was a great autocross car. Can't imagine what it would have been like with all solid suspension bits. The sport PASM on my current car is firm enough for occasional track work but rides well and offers a great compromise for me. But for someone like you who tracks your car extensively, I can see where you'd want something more aggressive. And your butt may be more forgiving than mine.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

mobonic thanks for the review...my wife thanks you and my bank account thanks you! LOL This is a mod I want to do and I will not do any mods until I can do this one.

For the track guys I also highly suggest the GT3 Cup Lower Control arms. They will give you a little wider track out front and allow for much more front negitive camber.

I did the control arm mod and have many track and street miles on with this mod. I am very use to the car set up this way. It handles very well. I drove the stock PSDS cars at the Masters class 2 weeks ago and the cars really pushed (understeered) and the steering was not as precise. I really wonder why Porsche just does not put these lower arms with a little more camber and less toe than stock on a Carrera?!?!?!?!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
summit81
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preface: I am not a spokesperson for RSS nor do I have no affiliation with them. I am just a happy customer.

After a lot of research and talking to others, I decided to install RSS control arms/links on my 2011 Carrera S. The reason I chose RSS instead of GT3 cup adjustable control arms is because the RSS lower control arms (or wishbones -- whatever is the correct term) come with metal monoball and no rubber bushings. The primary reason for the upgrade was to achieve more camber up front, but I also wanted a more connected feel, and I was willing to sacrifice noise if it required. It turns out that it is just as quiet and smooth as before even on bumpy roads, but much more solid and connected than the stock 997.2 components. To be quite clear -- there is no noise or unpleasant abruptness to the suspension after adding RSS control arms and links. Another reason that I went with RSS is that all of the stock trailing arms can be used with this kit and caster is still adjustable because the thrust bushings rotate. In my opinion, this is a real clever design and my tech was very impressed with the kit quality and ease of installation. More reasons -- the litronics sensor mount bracket and camber shims are included, all for one price.

This is what I had installed (basically everything in Mobonics picture above plus four adjustable LCA kits):

Part no 361: Porsche 2-Piece Control Arm Kit (Adjustable Hydraulic
Replacement Thrust Arm Bushings, 1/2/3/7mm Shims and
Hardware)

Part no 357: Porsche 2-Piece Control Arm Kit w/ Non-Adjustable Thrust Arm
Bushings (includes monoball end, 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, & 7mm
camber shims, and all necessary hardware; FITS VEHICLES NOT
FITTED WITH HYDRAULIC THRUST ARM BUSHINGS)

Part no. 312 Porsche 986, 987, 996 & 997 Adjustable Toe Steer Kit - Set of 2

Part no. 307 Porsche 996 & 997 Adjustable Rear Link Kit - Set of 4

--------------------------------------

I have not tested the new suspension components of the track yet, but I will on Friday.

Thanks to all for advice and info on components and setup.

Quick Reply: Review: RSS Solid Suspension Kit