Sponsored by:

Wet Fun- Thunderhill In The Rain. Hankook Tire Report/Spin Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wet Fun- Thunderhill In The Rain. Hankook Tire Report/Spin Video

Did a trackday at Thunderhill Friday, my first time on this particular track. In the wind/cold/rain. Had a blast! Thanks to Hooked on Driving for the "event".

Very challenging track and a lot of fun. Lots of off's in every group because folks were not respecting the wet track and overdriving. My trusty C4S was confidence inspiring at every point and I had no worrisome moments, and nowhere near an off. Coaching by Ron and Bill were great, thanks guys!

Finished off my RE050's a couple weeks ago and just installed Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's after much research. They were wonderfully progessive in these wet cold conditions and I am very happy with them.

At $155 front, $209 rear, less another $100 with a Discount Tire special, they are a PHENOMINAL bargain and fully 102Y rated (rear). For driving to the track, burning up the rubber and driving back home (in cold and slush as luck would have it!) this is the way to go.

My sizes are 235/35/19 and 305/30/19. Pics after track and drive home show superb and even wear. Enjoy the salt crusted front end bubble-wrappers!

My Vmax was approx 125mph end of straight and I experienced zero hydroplaning.

Not my goal to set record laps and I keep up with and pass plenty of cars and I don't have to f' around with tire/wheel changes. Makes me happy!

The C4S especially with Sport PASM (20mm lower) is so, so incredibly capable on a track especially when wet. I just can't heap enough praise on the car. PDK is always on the mark. The limits are so high, and handling dynamics so progressive it is a real joy to track.

Twelve track sessions and 1200 miles since last oil change and none used.

Here is a sample lap and driest lap of the day. I know- my line leaves a LOT to be desired! Only my first time there so no need to harass me...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6EXg61OnX8

By sheer luck my Race-Keeper cam caught one of the better off's of the day, a 370Z hit the go-pedal too aggressively coming off a corner and proceeded into an agricultural moment. No harm to driver/car other than a penetrating mud bath

Watch top right of screen at :32 from right of screen across to left of screen... Whoopsie! Poor guy went about 200' deep and knocked out an electrical box providing communication to back half of track. Needed a wrecker to pull him out. Oh my.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hgivOQdwD4
Attached Images      

Last edited by savyboy; 03-14-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:06 PM
MusicCity_997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post. Hankook's seem to be quite capable in the rain as you've experienced. They will be going on my 4s when our PS2's run out of tread.

Love the video capture with the tach and mph. Great setup.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say, no issue with track decibel limits with your exhaust?

Quick Reply: Wet Fun- Thunderhill In The Rain. Hankook Tire Report/Spin Video