Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When will they lower their price...$$$ up against euro!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
beachview
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
California on it's own has a similar GDP to that of Spain..we are in deep trouble here. Los Angeles County could go bankrupt this July I read.

Dave
Source?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beachview
Source?
Meg Whitman on CNBC who is running for Governor..as far as my source for GDP it came from the IMF. Pretty scarey...we both live in this city.

Top Ten according to IMF.

IMF list Overall Rank Rank by country/Rank by US State Country/US State GDP (millions)
- — World 54,311,608
- — European Union 16,905,620
1 United States of America 13,843,825
2 Japan 4,383,762
3 Germany 3,322,147
4 China (mainland only) 3,250,827
5 France 2,772,570
6 United Kingdom 2,560,255
7 Italy 2,104,666
8 California 1,812,968
9 Spain 1,438,959
10 Canada 1,432,140
11 Brazil 1,313,590

These are 2006 numbers US economy is actually closer to $15 Trillion now. Not to mention China has passed Germany for the number 3 spot and closing in on Japan.

Last edited by Dave07997S; 03-18-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
If you think we are in troubble....take a look at Greece, Iceland, Spain...all so heavily in debt they can't pay their loans. There is even talk about kicking the Greeks out! Not much coverage in this country but the dollar is in a 10 month high against the euro! Our economy is crappy..in many (not all) european countries they are far worse. If they want to survive they are going to have to lower their prices...or else you can see massive european unemployment.
I hate the American media...they do not do a good job covering the woes of the EU.
Maybe the price of P cars will drop next year. as the euro slides...okay just wishing.
abe
Who is they?

If anything, the $ prices in the US are subsidized. If anything, its a surprise the prices have not gone up. The US dollar is very very weak against the euro. When the euro was established, it was established with a consideration to what a correct exchange rate should be (comparing market baskets of goods). I think around 1:1 was where it was envisioned. Out of the gate the US dollar was strong at the time and the rate went to $0.80 or so to the euro, but then the dollar weakened so much that it is at historically weak levels where it is. The fact that the Porsche cars (or any other car sold in the US that is made in the euro zone) are not 30-40% more expensive than they were in the year 2000 is a blessing.

If the exchange rate drops way back down to around $1/euro then maybe prices may move down a bit.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't hold your breath for lower prices. We've been fighting this battle for years in Canada with marginal success. We now only pay 23% more than the US down from 45% about 5 years ago. Canada has a strong economy and the Can$ is now close to par with the US$ and is projected to appreciate beyond par in the near future. This falls on deaf ears at PCNA and they continue to charge a significant premium. We can import a used car and pay 6.1% duty but the US dealers are not allowed to sell a new car to a Canadian....
Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Canada, just like the EU believe in wealth distribution; hence, higher taxation rates. Remember, so called free medical care, is not free, somebody has to pay.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
Canada, just like the EU believe in wealth distribution; hence, higher taxation rates. Remember, so called free medical care, is not free, somebody has to pay.
But that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

How a country taxes its residents and businesses and uses that tax money has nothing to do with the exchange rates between international currencies in any significant way.

For the Canadians, when I purchased my car, they never asked me if I was a US citizen. Why not just get a disposable US based cell phone and set up a US bank account and buy the car via that path, if PCNA is going to discriminate based on nationality.

And, I don't see how, if you show up at a US dealer and hand them a pile of cash or a check drawn on a US bank, that they would refuse to sell you the car. Having them deliver it to Canada, that would be a red flag, of course.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Very simple... if you show up at a franchised Porsche dealer and want to buy a car, they will require a valid drivers license and proof of insurance. Unless you can show residency in the US you're not going to be able buy the car and bring it back to Canada.
Why wouldn’t every dealer just buy inventory via the US then?

As far as the tax structure goes and how the gov’t spends money it does have an effect on the value of a countries currency. Currencies are interest rate driven vehicles. The interest rate curve in a country is surely based a lot on how their Federal mechanism for rates relates to the how the economy is. You can bet your life that if Canada lowered the tax rate, particularly on business and the economy took off they would have to raise rates and that would very much raise the value of their currency.

Quick Reply: When will they lower their price...$$$ up against euro!