Sponsored by:

Accuracy of TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Accuracy of TPMS

I took my 2007 C4S in to top off the nitrogen in the tires as my dash gauge indicated I was 3# low in each tire. Tire shop added nitrogen but TPMS dash gauge reads 3# less on each tire than the actual pressure as measured at the tire shop with 3 different gauges. I have TPMS set to 'PARTIAL LOAD " which according to my manual is 33 # front and 39 # rear. My dash gauge reads 30# front and 36# rear in spite of tire shop assuring me that the actual pressure is 33# front and39# rear. The trip computer pressure indicator on dash indicates that each tire is 1# low on each wheel except for right front which is 2# low. What gives ? Anyone have similar discrepancies ?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am exactly 3 psi low all around...2006 C2S
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

The TPMS on my 07 Targa 4S consistently showed 3 lbs less than as measured with tire gauge at each wheel. What I hated was that as soon as the pressure dropped another pound or 2, it would trigger a warning because the TPMS thought it was 4 lbs below proper pressure, not just 1. Then I'd have to over-inflate the tires to get the TPMS to reset, then bleed back to the pressure I wanted.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Hmm, mine's around 1 PSI different from tire pressure gauge, but mostly accurate. Never seen that much discrepency.

I've been told it SHOULD be slightly different as the pressure inside is slightly different than on the tire valve.

Make sure you tire gauge is a good one. The ones shops use are always off 2-3 PSI, and most of the gauges sold at Walmart are extremely cheaply made in China crap that are good to tell you if you're under-inflated or not, but not accruate enough for our cars. I bought the Porsche gauge and it looks to be similar to the TPMS, at least in my case.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
I bought the Porsche gauge and it looks to be similar to the TPMS, at least in my case.
Of course they're the same. Both supplied by Porsche.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Of course they're the same. Both supplied by Porsche.
I mean... the tire pressure measurements are pretty much the same between the two! Smart a$$
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget about TPMS accuracy (at least for 997.1). It can't be calibrated. If yours is accurate you "won the lottery."

I'd love to be wrong. If there's a Rennlist Resident Expert out there knows how to adjust them to show the correct pressure PLEASE tell us how to do it!

Waiting......., still waiting........ . LOL
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

It is a shortcoming of the system in the car. Ideally, it should allow you to tell it that whatever signal it is getting from a sensor corresponds to a pressure that you enter (based on your quality tire gauge). But unfortunately, Porsche didn't allow us to calibrate the system. Probably the same guy that designed the Nav.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
The TPMS on my 07 Targa 4S consistently showed 3 lbs less than as measured with tire gauge at each wheel. What I hated was that as soon as the pressure dropped another pound or 2, it would trigger a warning because the TPMS thought it was 4 lbs below proper pressure, not just 1. Then I'd have to over-inflate the tires to get the TPMS to reset, then bleed back to the pressure I wanted.

Exact same problem here. BTW, at the risk of starting WW3 or WW4 I hope the nitrogen was free. Otherwise you paid for a lot of hot air and under normal driving conditions in the real world its a waste of $$.
abe
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the TPMS sensors are only accurate to +/- 3psi or +/- 5 psi depending on who you ask.

the justification for the relatively high tolerance is that their intended use is for safety and awareness of leaks, not for precise measurement of the tire pressures.

don't shoot the messenger - i didn't spec the things.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by brendorenn
not for precise measurement of the tire pressures.

)
I'm kind of miffed they (Porsche and Beru) let things slide here. What's the big deal about getting it right? Perhaps they should tell prospective customers "readings are approximate" in their brochures.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine shows 3 psi below actual and the speedo shows 3mph faster than actual. Hmm wonder if there is a hidden meaning here.....
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Somehow they must have gotten it sorted out in the ".2" - mine is very close +/- < 1lb with the Accutire.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

No two air gauges ever agree. The 6 odd gauges I have laying around the garage disagree by 15psi! The three I use most of the time are 3psi apart, so I assume they're at least in the ballpark, but I don't know which one is closest. Honestly, though, it doesn't really matter. If that gauge is off by a little, it's no big deal- neither you or your tires will notice 2psi of difference. Hard to even measure it on the skidpad. It'll vary by that much in the course of a drive as the tires heat anyhow.

So, if TPMS and your tire gauge do or don't agree... they're probably both wrong anyhow. Best you can really do is check with a couple gauges so you know you're close, and try to keep consistent with which gauge you adjust pressure with.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by sjfehr
No two air gauges ever agree.
BTW, you guys make an excellent point.

I think I did this a while ago when I first was bothered by TPMS discrepancy. I'll do it again since I don't remember the details except to have become disappointed with TPMS.

I have three gauges, all non-cheap ones, in different cars, will try to test them all tomorrow or the next day. Got a feeling they will agree with each other and disagree with the TPMS. Why? because they're all electronic, two different mfgrs, two from same mfgr bought a year apart.

If they do disagree, I'll put the one that matches or closely matches the TPMS in the P-car!

Will report back.

Quick Reply: Accuracy of TPMS