Radiator fan staying on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,

997.1 here.

Yes, the AC works. When I turn it on, I do hear the passenger-side front fan comming on at full blast and it is very loud. However, when I turn off the AC, the fan stays on -- again, only the passenger side.

Doesn't sound right.

I guess I'll have to take it in as I don't know much about where the relays are and definitely wouldn't swamp fans out on my own...

Thanks,

-T
Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
netnerduk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got exactly the same problem with my 997.1 s

Did you get it resolved?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Kirk S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had new front driver side radiator fan motor installed in '08 Cayman S, warranty fix (I was reading 997 list and found this thread).

Symptoms on my car were same as described here. Only the front passenger side radiator fan was activating (and usually on very high speed, very loud). Front driver side fan never kicked on.

No check engine lights, no warnings, no elevated temp on temp gauge, absolutely nothing to indicate a problem, other than that I noticed something didn't seem right with the radiator fans behavior (I'm in coastal so cal so ambient temps are mild, so I was able to get away with just having a single radiator fan - apparently).

Dealer said they have seen a few instances of this problem, but it's not common - at least not common enough for the dealer to stock parts for it (had to order the part out of the west coast warehouse, took 1 day to get the part and install).

If they can make the computer inform me that my brake light died then I have to wonder why they can't (or just don't) make it tell me a radiator fan motor died.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:11 AM
mitchell_genoa
6th Gear

Default Fan radiator not working......have a try

Hello,
i recently experienced quite a loud noise from radiator fan in the front driver side.
I checked and the left side fan wasn't working at all, the driver side fan was so noisy because it was balancing the no working left fan.
Before dropping the car at the dealer i suggest you to try what i did.
Raise the car a little bit in order to have access under the front bumper.
Remove the plastic panel just in front of the left front Tyre removing the 3 screws under the bumper and the 4 screws in the wheelhouse.
You should be now able to move a little bit the panel in order to put your fingers inside and move the fan.
If it happens to you what happened to me, some stones a dirt blocked the fan, and turning manually the fan cleaned it.
You should now hear a smooth noise from both of the fans.
Good luck
Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 AM
jwins
Intermediate

I have had my passenger side fan and relay replaced twice after seeing the same symptoms. Both fans should be on. If they are not, one or it's relay have likely failed.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm having this problem right now. The passenger side fan is very loud and comes on without the driver side coming on.
The weather's been cooperative so I've been driving around without AC and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
The fan is only coming on at a higher temp, and it will go off and on, depending on temp. For example, when I pulled into the garage today from my commute, the fan was on but by the time I parked and settled (engine still on), it turned off. I revved the engine, just a bit, and it came on again.
So - I think the on/off is normal. What seems weird to me is the sound level - just seems pretty loud. And also, that the fan noise only seems to be coming from the front passenger side.
I have to go to airport and back, but should be able to troubleshoot and try to clean / clear fans on Saturday.
Interested in any suggestions...

Quick Reply: Radiator fan staying on?