Sponsored by:

Recommendations for car cover - Outdoors North West

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
agreenway
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for car cover - Outdoors North West

Looking for a car cover to protect the car from the elements when not driving it.

Sun, Rain, etc.

Would love to hear what people have to say and what you recommend.

I drive the car all year round in Portland, Washington etc.

Griot's Garage cover, OEM Porsche cover or something else. The crest on the cover is not a deal breaker for me.

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Got a waterproof cover some time back from Griot's Garage. You can even launder it as well as dry it in home equipment.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had two problems with car covers that kept me from using them:

-- Difficulty in putting them on and taking them off
-- What to do with the wet cover after taking it off

Unless you put a cover on properly -- and even if you do, I fear -- it is likely to come off (or loose.) Kneeling on the ground in order to snake a cord under the car is a non-starter. The idea is to keep the car clean but not at the price of getting my knees dirty. And getting it off a wet pavement or muddy ground is even less fun.

Even assuming that the cover is on perfectly and functions perfectly, there is still the problem of what to do with it after you take it off -- especially if it is wet. Rolling it up perfectly so that the wet side is not in contact with the dry side is a challenge after the rain has ended and basically impossible when it has not especially if you don't want to put it on the ground.

And then, assuming that you succeed in getting it off , there is still the problem of what to do with the soggy car cover and then how to dry it. Leaving it in the trunk (or wherever in the car) is not a good idea but carrying a heavy, soggy and (probably) awkwardly folded car cover indoors to wash it and dry it is not fun either. And, of course, a wet cover won't fit into its carrying bag. Trust me on that!

Oh yes, there is still one more issue: the soggy trunk or back seat. Even with the cover out, the dampness that remains is a mold magnet. Not good!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I have used car covers forever, but have never bought a waterproof one. If the car is at home I've always had covered or indoor parking. If I'm away from home, I just don't cover the car if it's raining for all the reasons FI Flyer mentioned about wet covers, plus that fact that if it's been driven in the rain already it's probably dirty and shouldn't be covered anyway.

The other thing with waterproof covers is that they don't "breathe". For short term use this probably doesn't matter but moisture and condensation trapped under the cover for longer periods can be a problem. If a breathable car cover is caught out in the rain it will dry pretty quickly with sun or a little wind.

Covers are great for keeping sunlight, bird crap, and other environmental contaminents from damaging your paint and interior, and even provide some protection against general carelessness like door dings etc. I keep my car covered even in the garage and it stays cleaner much longer. I just don't think they work that well for keeping the car from getting wet.

If I had to keep the car outside all the time I'd go with a good quality breathable cover. It would protect from the sun, etc. and would prevent water that beaded up on the car from spotting badly once the sun came out, without allowing moisture to become trapped underneath.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Lots of trade-offs with car covers. Here's a link that you might find helpful: http://www.coverking.com/customcarcovers_materials.html

I'm a big fan of Coverking's Autobody Armor. Fits just like a glove.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by agreenway
Looking for a car cover to protect the car from the elements when not driving it.

Sun, Rain, etc.

Would love to hear what people have to say and what you recommend.

I drive the car all year round in Portland, Washington etc.

Griot's Garage cover, OEM Porsche cover or something else. The crest on the cover is not a deal breaker for me.

Thank you for your feedback.
I have had the OEM for 8 years use on three cars. Does a great job. I use it a lot at the airport garage.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Going on almost 3 years with a WeatherShield outdoor cover. No issues yet and the car must be clean before putting it on to avoid scratches. Not a big deal for a weekend toy, but a daily driver may be another issue.

As for storing a wet cover, I remove it the night before a drive if rain is expected or just us a dedicated garbage pail with a lid to hold the wet cover no need to bring it with you.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I have the OEM outdoor cover (though I keep my car garaged). The plastic buckle broke when I took the cover off in very cold weather, which isn't such a wonderful recommendation. I do plan to replace it with a better buckle from REI as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 PM
997sxv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Griots water proof cover and have had no problems with it. I use it in the summer and fall in all weather conditions to cover the car when we are at the beach and don't have indoor storage. It rolls up into a small bag that fits easily on the back seat. It is weather proof and has never scuffed the car or come off in wind. It removes and stores easily but putting it on usually requires two people. My car is very slippery from wax so the cover slips. I have never let it hit the ground so having and extra set of hands helps. I have done it myself but there is a risk of it slipping while the corners are secured. It was about $500 and worth it. They should make these for boats.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for car cover - Outdoors North West