Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 997 and LOVING IT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=aircooled0801;7337591]Thanks again!

tpenta: Yes, I sold my Speedster back in 2003 and probably did better on the car then than I could now. That car is among my top 3 of favorite cars, QUOTE]

I am curious, given all your experience driving different Porsches, what your other favorites were?

Where does the 997 come in?

Thanks,

-T
Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
aircooled0801
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would honestly have to say the 997 is the best to date. In all fairness, I've only had it a week, but I drove it 9 plus hours from West Palm to Charlotte (playing a bit along the way), and I put another 150 miles or so on her last Saturday. The car truly is the perfect combination of pure sports car/power and plush luxury. Better yet, this is the first 911 I've had where my wife actually "asked" to go for a ride.

As far as ranking my previous P-cars, I'd have to say the following starting at second favorite and going down the list from there in order of favorites:
2. 1998 C2S (wasn't as nice of condition as most of my other P-Cars, but it was a BLAST to drive)
3. 1994 Speedster (had different cams, lightweight flywheel, suspension, etc... and was just FAST and easy to throw around) this car was close to being my second favorite in all honesty.
4. 1992 C2 was just a cool 115K mile car with a scrub here and a ding there. I didn't worry about parking it, and I drove the absolute snot out of this car. The best part was I bought it with Koni's. I put the RS door panels, factory Cups, RSA seats, and just made it my own. The exterior color was stunning, and the car never gave a minute's trouble.
5 and 6. both 1996 C4S's were equal as far as performance. Most recent Polar car was the nicest, but was maybe a bit too predictable with the AWD. I considered ViperBob's conversion honestly before even buying the second one with plans of possibly converting.
7. 1987 Carrera was just a beauty, but I honestly didn't drive it enough, and when I did, I didn't "enjoy" it since it was such a cream puff. I sold that car 5 years ago with only 32K on the odometer. I've since driven the other cars like I stole them which is how this car should have been driven. If I had actually spent the time in it like I should have, it would have been in my top three most likely.
8. 1971 911E which was restored before I bought it. It was a baby, and I truly enjoyed this car. The previous owner added the Carrera flares, and it just never looked right to me on that car. That's the only reason it's as far down the list as it is.
9. 1970 911E for me was a weak car. It was in severe need of a rebuild, and when I drove it home from WV, I had to stop every so often to fill the oil and check the gas. ***NOTE*** HOWEVER, I "sold" this car to my father shortly thereafter, and to this day, this was his favorite car. He was able to stop most of the leaks and deal with some of the rust issues on his own (somehow involving me = on his own).
10. 1987 944... actually, I absolutely loved this car. It's not a fair comparison (IMHO) to compare to a 911, but I must admit that with the 17" cups and beautiful red paint, I had more women come up to me at stoplights and parking lots admiring the car than any other car I've ever owned with maybe the exception of a blue 2002 Z06 I had a few years ago. My job forced me to sell this car or else I'd probably still have it in all honesty. Just a fun car.
11. 1968 912 only because I never officially drove this car. I bought it completely unrestored and dry as a bone. Everything was original including the paint. I bought it for $2K locally here in Charlotte believe it or not, and with the brakes locked up and all, a friend of mine offered me $8K for the car 2 months after buying it... the rest is history, and he has since sold the car to someone in Australia.
12. 1983 DP car was the most unpredictable car I've ever driven. Fast? YES, past the lag! Dated? YES! Practical whatsoever? NO! I still talk to the guy who bought it, and he has it in his private collection. The car only has 18K original miles, and it's probably best suited where it sits today.

I must admit that the ranking above changed quite a few times between numbers 4 and 10 before creating what you see above. It all depends on which school you come from.

If I had the opportunity, I would have the current 997S no question, my 964 Speedster, the 1992 C2 (for the track) and the '98 C2S. Just to be fortunate enough to have one in the garage, I'd trade the others in a heartbeat for the 997S without hesitation. Now, if anyone is absolutely hating their GT3 RS, we can talk.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is a list. !!!!!! I can barely remember all of the cars I had in my life much less the driving experience in each one.

Now is that because I am getting older or did I drive some very forgettable cars LOL Think it was the cars. I do remember my 74 Gran Trno or did the Clint Eastwood movie spark that memory

That is a great list of P Cars I have only had one but I did ordered my #2 Pcar a Turbo S Cab last night so I am starting my list a little late in life

Sure is nice to see someone who knows how to enjoy life. As I said before beautiful car.

Keep the enjoyment going Great to hear about your Past and Present cars
Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM
aircooled0801
Instructor

WOW!!! Turbo S Cab...VERY NICE!!! Good luck with the new beast. You have a much better jump start than me!

Please be sure to keep us posted. Can't wait to see it!

As far as cars from the past, I must say that I have an extreme love affair for motorized vehicles. I get it honestly by growing up in a family that has been in the auto business since 1950. I've had over 100 vehicles ranging from 68-69 Camaro's, 67-72 Suburbans and pickups, H2's, Z06's, a solid year of several 50's split window VW buses, etc... but every time I've sold a P-Car to get one of these toys, I've gone right back to a P-Car within 6 months. It never fails, and I'm a proven creature of habit! I also have a severe case of adult ADHD!!!!!!!!

Again, best wishes with your new toy!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congratulations on your newest P-car addiction...

I share in both your joy and excitement having made the 997 C2S leap last fall. Can't wait for better road conditions to get out and get reacquainted with the 997.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
RED 997
Advanced

Very nice! Really like the aero kit on a yellow car. enjoy.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

aero kits are pretty rear...how long were you looking? I'm also leaning towards an S with a kit.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
aircooled0801
Instructor

Thanks again to everyone who has commented! Ditto to all of you and your incredible sleds!!!!

Update: As a side, I installed the clear side marker lights yesterday, and WOW, what a difference!

Slider:

I actually looked for the right car for nearly 4 months. In fact, I had to renew my Autocheck and Carfax accounts several times due to running so many VIN's. I was on the fence at the time between another 993 and a 997. I drove several 997's locallhy but I couldn't justify the $$$ and none of the gentlemen I dealt with were flexible in price whatsoever (and I had cash in hand). I then found a SY/black 997S without the aerokit with 15K miles, and had bought my plane ticket and all. Several days before the trip, the owner advised me he was having issues getting the title, and that there would be some delay between when I picked up the car and when I actually received the title. In other words...NO deal for me! It was truly a blessing, and I should probably send that guy a thank you card. Within 30 minutes of this gentleman sharing the bad news with me, I ran across this car. As mentioned before, I called Danny Stahl of Stahl Motorsports and discussed the car, the history, options, etc... and dealing with Danny was such a pleasure. I obviously did my additional research on Stahl to find nothing but the absolute best feedback. Within 24 hours, we agreed on a price and I feel I got the deal of a lifetime! I only paid a couple of grand more for this car with fewer miles, title in hand, all paperwork including window sticker PLUS the original parts such as the exhaust. I even found the original "Carrera S" emblem tucked away in the DVD front compartment wrapped in a towel. (I love stuff like that!)

Anyway, I seem to have an obsession I guess. Once I lock into what I'm looking for, I'll find it with time and patience, oh...and a lot of luck! I could have bought some other incredibly nice cars, but I highly recommend waiting until you find THE ONE that won't let you sleep at night in fear of someone else snagging it. Otherwise, it could end up being just another car in your eyes while you wait to buy the one you really want. I have found that instant gratification does not payoff in today's world.

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone! Cheers to the coolest P-Car community I've come across yet!

BTW: Sorry for my long responses. I get carried away once I start typing. I'll try to keep my future correspondence to a minimum.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Gj325
Pro

any photos of the clear marker lights you installed?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
aircooled0801
Instructor

I will be happy to download pic's with new side markers today with any luck.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:12 PM
aircooled0801
Instructor

Default Clear Side Markers from Suncoast

As promised...
Attached Images    
Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Gj325
Pro

They do look great. How much trouble are they to install.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 PM
aircooled0801
Instructor

Not a bit of trouble. Both sides took me about 8 minutes total (most time spent on the first one as I was a bit more timid). There are a couple of good DIY links in here, but the owner's manual is also handy from what I hear. I simply pulled the little plug from the inner fender liner, stuck a skinny screwdriver in the hole to find the clip, pushed that in to unlock and it popped right out. I then pulled out the little bulb retaining clip, swapped, and put the clip back on with the new assembly. Install front portion first and then snap right in. Piece of cake, and the cheapest upgrade I know to exist. I paid $35 or so including shipping for these from Suncoast Porsche. Also, it comes with new bulbs already installed and ready to go. I highly recommend!

Quick Reply: First 997 and LOVING IT!