Sponsored by:

Porsche in Pittsburgh?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche in Pittsburgh?

Anyone own a P-car in Pittsburgh? What are the roads like? How much drive time do you get given the weather? I may have an opportunity to move there. If it's too much trouble, I will have to sell a car that I have had nothing but fun with. Thanks, in advance.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Im in Pittsburgh. The roads are similar to what you would see in NY/NJ area (ie. not that great.) The highways are pretty good as there is always construction going on. But local roads are hit or miss.
They use a lot of salt here so if that bothers you, you might not take it out that much in the winter months. You will need snow tires if you plan to use it year round.
I was in the same situation 2 years ago when i moved here and in the end brought mine to pittsburgh rather than sell b/c i couldnt stand to part with it. I have another car to use in the winter so that's ok.
There are lots of overcast days here through out the year and lake effect snows. Not the most ideal weather but ok.
As far as drive time, you can use year round here if you want. I do see enough of them with snow tires and all. But as far as fair weather and clear roads is concerned, i find i am able to get it out less often than i would like to. Just too much of a mess on the roads for it to be worth it. So it does end up in a semi-stored state most of the winter. Spring/summer are fine except for frequent rainy days but also a fair number of good driving days.

But in the end the condition of the roads and the weather here doesnt make me want to give up the car.
Hope this helps.

You can PM if you have specific questions
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Sharmat,

Thanks for the info. I have two other cars, but love to drive this as much as possible. I may have to sell if I move. btw-nice car!

Cheers
Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
linklaw
Advanced

I have lived in Pittsburgh since I have been 5 yrs old and am 49 now. I have had several 911s over the years, as well as a Boxster and currently have a 2005 CarreraS. If you want to use your Porsche all year round, then I would recommend snow tires. We don't get all that much snow here, but winter temperatures are often below what is considered optimal for summer tires. The local urban roads are not that great, but the highways and rural two lanes are usually fine. There are tons of great driving roads in western and central Pennsylvania and the scenery and views are beautiful. The local Porsche club chapter has many events at Beaverrun racetrack as well as many social get togethers. If I were you, I would not feel compelled to sell my car because I was moving here. I drive mine almost every day for 9 months of the year and thoroughly enjoy it. My advice would be to keep it and see how you like using it in Pittsburgh. If you don't, you can always sell it later. John
Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Pittsburgh and own a 2007 Carrera S and a 2008 Boxster S. I frequently do early morning drives down through Waynesburg Pa then to WV and circle through Wheeling to get back. There are some great 2 lane twisty roads very accessable from Pittsburgh. These circles are about 120-200 miles. I also have a group of sportbike freinds, and we hit the same roads early Sunday mornings. We basically head to Rt. 250 or Rt 7 using Rt 19 to 218 or other versions of the same. I drive my cars and bikes 8 months and store them the rest of the year. I do bring the cars out for drives all through the winter whenever the roads are salt free just for excercise. There is no reason to think Pittsburgh is not a good place for Porsches.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisk1200
I live in Pittsburgh and own a 2007 Carrera S and a 2008 Boxster S. I frequently do early morning drives down through Waynesburg Pa then to WV and circle through Wheeling to get back. There are some great 2 lane twisty roads very accessable from Pittsburgh. These circles are about 120-200 miles. I also have a group of sportbike freinds, and we hit the same roads early Sunday mornings. We basically head to Rt. 250 or Rt 7 using Rt 19 to 218 or other versions of the same. I drive my cars and bikes 8 months and store them the rest of the year. I do bring the cars out for drives all through the winter whenever the roads are salt free just for excercise. There is no reason to think Pittsburgh is not a good place for Porsches.
Let me know next time you plan to go out!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Will do. I live in the South hills.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

IMHO, the roads are terrible here. I feel bad for the rental cars I drive all over town, let a lone a P-car. The roads are white from the salt as well, so if were to end up driving one here, I'd save it for the summer.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
taylorcoleman
Intermediate

Good day sir. I live in Pgh and have owned F-cars, P-cars, etc. I just sold my 2010 GT3 which I drove all through the fall and into the winter (but only on dry, clear roads -- no ice, snow or salt).

I just bought a 2009 C2S coupe which should arrive in the next week. She will be my DD. With a good winter/tire set, good to go.

Pgh is a great town BTW! GL.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I did not see that story - what made you to trade GT3 for C2S? Just wasn`t convenient enough for daily routines (what is totally understandable and does not require explanations) or was there any other issues?

How do you find engine difference coming from 10 GT3 to 09 C2S?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 PM
taylorcoleman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I did not see that story - what made you to trade GT3 for C2S? Just wasn`t convenient enough for daily routines (what is totally understandable and does not require explanations) or was there any other issues?

How do you find engine difference coming from 10 GT3 to 09 C2S?
My motivating factor to sell the GT3 was because I wanted 1 car. I would have kept the GT3 as my DD, but have 2 little kids and need a back seat. I would have kept my C63 but I love Porsche too much. So, the C2S 997.2 was the best choice for me. She hasn't arrived yet, but I'm already ordering some tasteful mods
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
My motivating factor to sell the GT3 was because I wanted 1 car. I would have kept the GT3 as my DD, but have 2 little kids and need a back seat. I would have kept my C63 but I love Porsche too much. So, the C2S 997.2 was the best choice for me. She hasn't arrived yet, but I'm already ordering some tasteful mods
I see, it makes total sense. In all GT3 greatness rear seats are quite an important factor from family perspective.

I also drive my 4 year old around in 997 when weather permits and he likes it a lot. Driving 997 car is really an addiction, plus after I got front suspension reworked now it is truly an amazing machine. Overall responsiveness and road feedback is simply amazing.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grew up in Pittsburgh have traveled the US and the PA road are some of the worst in the country. I go back quarterly to visit my Dad and they are trying to make them better.You have been down dirt roads smoother than parts of the turnpike. But it is what it is and your car will fun regardless. The 2 lanes can be fun. Going out to Somerset or Washington you can find fun roads.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i also grew up in pittsburgh and i'd have my 911 if i was there

gordon - we need to catch up!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

no ****: uens for Pittsburgh? We were in the South end of Mount Lebanon. My Dad lives in Latrobe near Saint Vincent's.

Quick Reply: Porsche in Pittsburgh?