Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 AM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pauljosef, If you're experiencing what appears to be grinding or crunching from 1st to 2nd gear while short shifting (3k revs or so), this seems to be normal with the 997. I bought my 06 C2 a couple of months ago and thought it had a trans issue. After 2 trips to the dealer and a test drive by a porsche rep, they said it was normal. The rep knew exactly what I was going to say, and he said it's completely normal. Shift the car from 1st to 2nd at 6k rev and it's smooth as butter. If you shift at 2k to 3k revs as in traffic or around town, the transmission isn't spinning fast enough for the (1-2) syncros to do their job. This is what the master tech at the dealer explained to me. If I'm cruising through town and short shifting, I just pause a bit between 1st and 2nd gear, and there are no issues. The rest of the gears shift great at any speed for me. The clutch on my 997 requires a lot less effort than my 996, but I believe there is some sort of assisting device. For me it's been an easy clutch to modulate, and getting off the clutch in 1st gear is easy as can be with minimal revs.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 AM
pauljosef
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does sound like it but my main concern is the occasional (only twice) clutch slippage on fast accelerations. I made this inquiry a new 997 forum thread (Occasional Clutch Slippage) and am getting other feedback there. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had this problem?