Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 997.2 without nav, can I go aftermarket in dash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 997.2 without nav, can I go aftermarket in dash?

Hey guys

I tried to search this out, but I am considering a bunch of options right now. If I went with a 2009 997.2 S car without NAV, could the whole thing be replaced with a Pioneer or Alpine in dash double din unit, or a carputer? At this point I could easily add any functionality I wanted, including streaming sirius via 3G, etc.

I know it would be easier to get a car with it already, but if I found a good deal on a car without, and could drop 2K to build in a nice car PC, that would be pretty neat and feed my need to tinker. What I am worried about is that the screen seems integral to other systems, what would happen? Anyone do this on an 09?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I'm not an expert in this area, but I've yet to see a "mod" that looks clean. I do not have nav in my car and don't miss it because I have never driven the car outside of the greater Dallas area. When I do take rare trips that need nav, I usually have the family and one of my other cars that do have nav. In short, you need to think through the type of travel you will do and if you will need NAV. If you do use nav a lot I would advise getting the upgrade.

btw-I cannot believe you sold a Lotus.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 AM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, true. I like gadgets, but I rarely use it in my BMW now.

I do miss the Elise already, but I'm a family guy, 2 kids. This was a very special occasion car- I had to plan on a calendar when I could use it. I had instances where I had to drive 30 miles to change cars to go get the kids, or needed to plan weather out (the top leaked, it had stickers on it saying "not weather proof"! In short, it didn’t fit my lifestyle, and I found myself resenting my daily routine just because the car didn’t fit. My routine is good and rewarding, and having a car I could pile up the 4' kiddies into will work great for the next 3-4 years.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it can be done.
The decision on the final aesthetics is up to you and your custom audio installer.

If you want to stay 100% OEM, you can always purchase the PCM/NAV kit from Porsche via the Tequipment Catalogue (Sunset Imports in Oregon is almost always the place for best pricing on OEM Porsche parts, they can give you a price for the parts and your dealer can provide you a price for installation (and the inevitable S/W update via PIWIS...no big deal)
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

It's my understanding that a retrofit for the 997.2 is essentially price-insanity. Basically, no retrofit. Porsche's use of a MOST ring (fiber optic) was elected for a variety of reasons and one reason certainly is to maximize their profitability on these units WHEN ORDERED WITH THE CAR. To remove the 3.0 PCM and put something else in there would be a highly custom job that should only be considered as a last resort and if you plan to keep the car a very long time (which most herein do not do). The next guy would probably not appreciate it and would pass on your car. Porsche totally screwed up on many of the 2009 "launch cars" in that they were not equipped with the new navigational system. They made such a point about their vastly "improved" touch-screen navigational system and then didn't put them in. Dumb. As a result many of those cars have been sitting on lots collecting dust. Dealers are hoping to find lesser knowledgeable buyers. If you think you want nav seek another car, or face facts and buy an aftermarket suck-to-your-windshield Tom-Tom or the like.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 AM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys, I put my money down on a car with Nav. This was a launch car that was cheap and collecting dust . In the end I got a car I prefer in a color I prefer, but didn’t get that savings with the Blue launch car. Now I see why it was so cheap!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
CMOS
Advanced

Really? I thought that you could upgrade to NAV on the 997.2 just by adding in the module, and that no retrofit was necessary?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Go ahead. Try it.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Suncoast now has the new PCM with Nav listed on their site for $4k. Would be worth asking them what the typical install process is (labor, reprogramming the computer, etc.). No idea, but if the part is $4k...

Somebody on eBay recently was selling one for $2k I think.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Go ahead. Try it.
Suncoast confirmed my VIN (997.2) could be upgraded with a head unit swap and programing. Upgrading is VIN specific so not all cars can be upgraded. The new units are designed to ease post-build upgrades with minimum effort.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
...Porsche's use of a MOST ring (fiber optic) was elected for a variety of reasons and one reason certainly is to maximize their profitability on these units WHEN ORDERED WITH THE CAR.....
Incorrect.

PAG's decision to adopt MOST was driven by the fact that Audi and Mercedes had already committed to the MOST infotainment platform as a successor to D2B. (I will skip the rationale behind the decision, as it isn't relevant at this time).

Since PAG (pre VW merger) never had enough volume to get an OEM (like Becker) to design a custom product for them, they always took what was available and in production from Audi (and Mercedes) via the OEM, again, Becker in this case.

Ironically, PAG had always planned on going LAST with the implementation of MOST, following Audi and Mercedes (via the Maybach...nice car BTW).

As it turns out, MOST was delayed (primarily due to silicon and vehicle level validation issues....again, the details aren't relevant here), and PAG ended up being the FIRST to put MOST based infotainment into production.
(due to the delay in MOST, there was a one year only, 2002, Bose analog system fielded, which was replaced from MY03+ with MOST).

The same components (headunit and amplifier) were used in the Carrera and Boxster platforms...they are 95% S/W identical...which is why the Cayenne OEM satellite radio kit was able to be installed into Carreras BEFORE Porsche released satellite radio as an OEM option....no, they weren't very happy and couldn't figure out why all of a sudden their inventory of Cayenne OEM satellite radio kids suddenly went off the shelves...
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...7-c4s-cab.html

The MOST cooperation had always planned on allowing 3rd parties (non OEM's) to field products, but the cost proved to be prohibitive (the per node cost for MOST originally quoted was very aggressive and not achievable).

MOST evolved staying with plastic optical fiber and is now being put forward with copper wire replacing the POF and increasing bandwidth to 100MB/s+
PAG is still committed to MOST thru at least 2012.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 PM
timmhaines
Instructor

Default 997 Aftermarket indash

Installed using Nav-tv MOSTHUR997
Steering wheel controls even work!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I put touch screen in my '06 Nav equipped 997.1?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

sheesh-just buy a Garmin or ask for directions-
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I am not sure what are you asking... did you BUY a car WITHOUT NAV and wanna retrofit one into it? or... you are wondering if a car without NAV is *ok* to purchase so you can add your own later.

If former, then you can either add OEM Nav or Aftermarket, with pros/cons for each. More flexibility with aftermarket, but a BITCH to fit into MOST and installation cost may make it more $$ than OEM.

If latter, then I'd say just get a car with Nav, it's very rare to find a .2 without NAV. 997.1 without Nav are a lot more common, but you'd be hard pressed to find a non-Nav 997.2. If you did, it HAS TO BE $4-5K less than the NAV model to make it worthwhile if you wanted to add one yourself.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2 without nav, can I go aftermarket in dash?