Sponsored by:

Dealership staffing....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:22 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealership staffing....

I was poking around last night and visited the web page of the local P-car dealer and was shocked to note they appear to be down to what sure looks a minimum staff. They've got one salesperson listed (thankfully they kept the really good one); a manager, parts guy, one technician (a very good one) and a service manager (another keeper). Last time I was in there dealing on a car they had at least 3 sales people. I looked on-line because last night when I was driving back from the airport I drove by and saw the GM/Hummer lot - both sit adjacent to the P-car shop and are owned by the same person - the GM lot was about 1/3 full (it used to be packed) and most of those were used non-GM cars. The Hummer lot had a few trucks.

Christ - I hope they don't go under. Nearest service would be 6 hours away in Seattle, and I'll admit I don't like going to Seattle. I had to take my sons Mini (he doesn't drive, has no interest in it) over there last year to get the catalytic converter replaced, they'd done a recall on it. Nightmare drive...if I end up having to this for the Porsches I'll dump them.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Rich, Are you up in northern Idaho? I would suggest the Boise Dealer. The drive would probably be as long. but at least a bit more interesting. It is an adventure owning these cars far from dealer or independent shop support.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by helispud
Rich, Are you up in northern Idaho? I would suggest the Boise Dealer. The drive would probably be as long. but at least a bit more interesting. It is an adventure owning these cars far from dealer or independent shop support.
Yep, up in Sandpoint. I've been to the Boise dealer a couple of times when I've been down there and had a minor problem. They were very helpful and knew what they were doing, really nice people. Other choice is Portland, I've got family there so I wouldn't have to spend the night in a bedbug infested hotel. I have places to stay in Boise too, but I find Portland much more interesting and it's at least an hour quicker to get to. I had my '08 cab at the Portland dealer a couple of years ago when the windshield wipers fell off, they were very helpful too. Try driving one of these things without wipers in a downpour. It's tricky.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I was in a dealership last summer when I was Cayenne shopping. I talked to a VW/Audi giy who was covering for the non-existent sales people in the attached P dealer. He said they hadn't sold a P-car of any description for 3 months. (Aug 2009). They are still trading.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Sunset Porsche does have a good service department with good people (their sales department could take a lesson or two from these guys). Another advantage you would get for going there is no sales tax in Oregon.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped by my local dealer the other day to take a quick look at a Cayenne for my wife. I was shocked by how few cars they had on their lot - probably 25% of what they had in stock last time I visited.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoeShark
Sunset Porsche does have a good service department with good people (their sales department could take a lesson or two from these guys). Another advantage you would get for going there is no sales tax in Oregon.
I don't know about where you live but if you buy a car outside of your state of residence you'll need to pay sales tax on it when you register the car in your state. At least that's how it works in rob 'em blind Illinois.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I think those Porsche dealerships that are attached to the VW/Audi dealerships are better positioned to survive the downturn. Tough times....
Old 01-18-2010, 12:01 PM
NJcroc
Racer

As sales decrease so does need for staffing. Porsche has cut production to keep values in line but prices still are soft. A good store will stay around and good people will also. The ones who were making a living off of the good times will suffer worse during the down times.

If you look at 2009 porsche sales you will see the country only sold 19k cars and trucks including the new Panamera. Its all up from those numbers

Alex Hilgetag
AC Porsche
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
boolala
Race Car

Any minute now some salesman is going to chime in and tell us how he has had his best sales month ever.

Never fails with these threads.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

^probably, but it won't be me. Business has been better in the last 4 weeks than it was for half of 09(any half, you pick), but it is nowhere near 5 years ago. So, i'll take the up tick in business, hope it's the start of the upward trend and not just a blip, but it isn't celebration time.

Regarding staffing, we're light staffed right now, but there just isn't any reason to have a sales manager and 2-3 sales people, when a sales manager +1 will cover the business.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
I don't know about where you live but if you buy a car outside of your state of residence you'll need to pay sales tax on it when you register the car in your state. At least that's how it works in rob 'em blind Illinois.
You're right. However I was thinking for the OP about getting his service work done in Oregon. In that case, I think he can save by not paying for the sales tax that he would pay at the Washington dealership service departments.

Quick Reply: Dealership staffing....