Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 C2S engine failure help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

You got lucky as others said... the only thing I can think of... see if you can get em to give you an X51 engine instead!!! probably not gonna happen but it doesn't hurt to ask!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
997's (and 996's) will never really be collector cars, Way to many of them made. Although the way prices are going (cars down and replacement engines up) there may be enough of these cars being junked over the years to make them scarcer. Early 996's are now going in the teens, and the price of a 3.4 replacment engine is now over $14,000, plus core and labor. You can find 2005 997's under $40K now. Fortunately the 3.6 and 3.8 engines are less than the 3.4, but that won't last for long.

In the meantime the replacement engine is bound to increase the value of the car.
I'm not so sure I agree with your first paragraph. After all, production volumes for mid-Sixties Mustangs were huge but they are desirable in the collector market. Maybe you're thinking of a different demographic of buyers -Porschephiles vs. guys who always wanted the 997/996 when they were younger but couldn't afford one. Who knows, maybe someday 1999 996s will be treasured as the first examples of water-cooled 911s!

You & I are in total agreement that the replacement engine is a good thing for the OP.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by SY-997
I agree that having the engine replaced under warranty is a good thing for the OP, but think the longer-term value would be higher if the car had the original engine. To the collector community, a "matching numbers" car generally has more value than a "replaced motor under warranty." But unless the OP intends to keep the car for many more years (much longer than the 3-4 years he's kept his prior P-cars) I would guess the 997 won't be bought for collector purposes and therefore won't be valued as such.
Steve: I think that a PAG swapped engine will make for a numbers match car.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:50 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

I do find it interesting how "common" this IMS failure appears to be. Whether its just the internet rumours or not but I'd love to search Rennlist and 6speed and find out how many have occured. Sort of makes me uneasy now having bought my 06...
Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cams, I'm with you on the concern with the number of failure incidents.

I was just in the market for around 6 weeks and came across multiple cars that had engine failures.

Having said that, I love my car so much that if I had to spend $15k for a new engine, I would just do it and continue driving the car and enjoying it.

At this point (and perhaps I'm still in the honeymoon phase), if I sold my 911 it would be to buy a newer one...

Just drove my 335i to work today because it was raining and it took me a lot of time to get used to how different it felt. Brakes felt jumpy, body roll was very noticeable, clutch felt like a Toyota, and the 300HP just didn't seem enough for such a heavy car. Most importantly, I received very little feedback through the suspension. In summary: the 911 is a very unique experience even if it comes with the occasional engine failure!

-T
Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Also, AFAIK, If they do it under warranty Porsche will permanently alter their records to make all the numbers officially match.
Number matching is irrelevant for these cars. Not important in a mass production world. Nothing will be done to 'match' anything.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

As someone who will be in the market soon for an '05-'07 997, an '05 with a brand new engine would definitely get my attention considering the apparently high rate of engine failure.

Last edited by ClaylG; 01-14-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I do find it interesting how "common" this IMS failure appears to be. Whether its just the internet rumours or not but I'd love to search Rennlist and 6speed and find out how many have occured. Sort of makes me uneasy now having bought my 06...
See, this is how internet rumors burn out of control. Please go back to the OP and read what he wrote. This is NOT an IMS failure. In fact, if he'd had the LN bearing retrofitted, he'd now be out whatever he spent and (according to my dealer at least) finding a non-Porsche part installed in the engine would give Porsche a legal "out" in terms of denying CPO coverage on the replacement.

Also, if you do the research you will find that in terms of the IMS, your MY06 has a revised (larger) bearing and shaft compared with the MY05.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
drollin
8th Gear

Just to be clear. My 997 C2S cylinder number three has a crack in it and no longer is holding compression. My understanding is that it is a crack in the nikasil liner which then causes metal shavings to be running around in the motor and probably caused damage to bearings, etc... This was not an IMS failute. I had a RMS failures on both my 1998 boxster and 2002 996 but this was an easy one time fix of $1,500 and then was done.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drollin
but usually makes the resale value tougher as buyers assume that the car is damaged goods even though logically you would think it would make the car more valuable as it is a new engine. I have had three Porsches over an 11 year period (1998 boxster and 2002 996) and never had any major issues outside of rear main seal leaks.

My question to everyone here is there anything I should be asking for now before they install the new engine and any other helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Daryl
I had almost the exact same thing happen to my 2004 996, and it had exactly zero impact on my resale value. I wouldn't worry about that. Besides the 2005 997's are depreciating at a pretty rapid rate anyway.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had my engine replaced 6K ago for a similiar reason (scored cylinder wall). The new (remanufactured) motor feels better then the old one ever did and I believe it has the updated RMS as well. I was thrilled to get a new motor.....especially one I didn't have to pay for Plus, they come with a 2 year warranty which will come in handy as your 2005 warranty is getting to the end of its usefull life.

All positive in my opinion....
Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
NYC_Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had potential buyers of my M3 try to low-ball me b/c of the replaced engine (replaced by BMW outside of warranty - great customer service!). I just ignored them. They're either clueless or worse - they're hoping you are.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
I had potential buyers of my M3 try to low-ball me b/c of the replaced engine (.
No disrespect but that would bother me too. Why? Because the straight 6 M3 engine has a bad rep. It's producing maximum HP/Tq for it's design; it's totally souped up by the factory. If you're buying a used one you have that real worry to adapt to. OTOH, Porsche isn't known for creating engines that are at their absolute limit of HP production. Again: I'm not BMW bashing since I own one too.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM
drollin
8th Gear

So to summarize everyone's view. This is mostly a good thing for resale value later and buyers will realize this is a good thing. Everyone is convinced that Porsche will give me a re-manufactured engined which from talking to my service manager did not seem like the case but I will follow up when I get more clarity. Oh and people think this is like winning the lottery so I guess I should be playing my numbers today. Funny thing is not having my car for three weeks hardly feels like I am winning anything.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:37 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drollin
Funny thing is not having my car for three weeks hardly feels like I am winning anything.
Yeah that 3 week thing sucks; once it's over though it's quickly forgotten. Luckwise, you're probably DONE with major engine problems for the next 200K miles.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S engine failure help