Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dentless dent removal for roof/how do I remove the headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dentless dent removal for roof/how do I remove the headliner?

I will go into the stupidity that resulted in my situiation at the end of the post, but.. I have dent in my previously flawless car on the roof about 6" from the rear windshield. I think it can be removed with a dentless repair but they would need to get under the headliner for the repair. On older 911s you need to pull the glass (side and rear) to pull the headliner but the 997 look like it can be pulled down, does anyone know what is involved?

DumbS*%$ move: I had the car on my 4 post lift on the side of the garage that has the non-jackshaft garage door opener (hangs low). I was moving my table saw and other items around that garage so the car has as high as it would go witout hitting the door opener. So I went to pull in the lawn tractor out and hit the garage door opener and walked a step away. My the time I realized I opened the wrong door, the J bar that pulls the door moved down the track and hit the roof. My only saving grace was I had the car cover folded uo on the roof where it was dented and I have no paint damage! I never felt so disappointed in my self.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Paintless dent removal is now done by hot-glueing plastic discs on the outside and gently pulling on the dent. No need to remove the liner. I had 5 dents taken care of that way in September...amazing results.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 AM
bjereb
Intermediate

Pongo,

What is the name of company that did the work? Would like to see if they are located in the states. I have similar issue as JackQ - have a dent where access is an issue. Had it looked at by 2 differnt companies - neither of which suggested hot glue (like Ding King)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

My guy is basically a one-man operation and not part of a franchised chain, but I would think that the better dent guys in the States would be using the latest techniques.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Jack,

I suggest calling Russ Kafka @ 410.698.3179. I have used him twice with great results. He travels from dealer to dealer and will come to you. Give him a call to see what he can do for you.

Good luck.......
Old 01-05-2010, 03:53 PM
JackQ
Advanced

Harvey, Thanks for the recommendation. I will give Russ a call. I feel much better having someone that has had a positive results with a fellow rennlister. I am concerned with the quality of the repair over all else.

Jack
Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 AM
bradmd
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates here? I did the same bonehead move w my lift, now wondering about whether the external approach is viable or if I need to peel back the headliner for access
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I let my 996 hardtop on top of a saw horse when I owned it. Don from Dent Craft Plus here in MN took it out perfectly. He did not need to remove the headliner.
BUT the top was made of aluminum and it takes someone who knows how to take dents out of Aluminum. The normal paint less dent techniques do not work the same.
Be sure you get an expert do your homework or you may have worse problems then what you started with.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 PM
bradmd
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The headliner actually was very easy to remove and fold forward for direct access. remove coat hooks, then a couple of screws and the molding around the back glass pulls out. Then there are just plastic hooks that hold the headliner toward the back of the car, pull headliner toward back glass and down. Reintstalled just as easy and no evidence of taking it down. PDR guy had the ding massaged out in 20m or so.

Quick Reply: dentless dent removal for roof/how do I remove the headliner?