Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The lease vs. buy debate (accounting types?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
The lowest total cost of ownership is one (vehicle or spouse)!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

touche
Old 01-03-2010, 01:02 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I did this debate when I bought my car. It ALL depends on your situation.

Lease has the following advantages:
- Can return it in case of major accident [big plus for Porsche]
- Can write off the interest if you are self employed, or buying part of a business
- Much easier to trade-in to another car when lease expires (no hassle of trying to sell)
- The chance that today's depreciated assumed value of the car is higher than actual (imagine if your lease expired in 2009, probably buy-in was higher than what you could get for the car)
- Lower monthly payments in general

Finance advantages:
- Generally (not always) better interest rates
- Overall lower cost of ownership (if car is held for long)
- More flexibility for changing cars (no waiting for lease to expire)
- No lease terms in regards to how you mod a car, milage you drive, etc...

It all depends on your situation. I think in general, if you can ride off Lease taxes, lease is the best option. If not, then you gotto do some calculations, for me, it turned out that by financing though my Line of credit, it was a much cheaper option as I couldn't ride off the lease payments.

I believe Suzy Orman always advises against lease.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Suzy Orman? Seriously? The Dr. Phil of financial advice. There's no one size fits all. You have to get out your spreadsheet and do the math. And get out your crystal ball and try to guess whether any money you keep aside will grow or shrink in the next few years.

I think my dad had it right: buy a two year old car, cash; no finance charges, biggest depreciation is done, car is still new enough to last a while - then repeat as necessary. I have never had the discipline to do that, but on paper, it is the sensible thing to do.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:12 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Suzy Orman? Seriously? The Dr. Phil of financial advice. There's no one size fits all. You have to get out your spreadsheet and do the math. And get out your crystal ball and try to guess whether any money you keep aside will grow or shrink in the next few years.

I think my dad had it right: buy a two year old car, cash; no finance charges, biggest depreciation is done, car is still new enough to last a while - then repeat as necessary. I have never had the discipline to do that, but on paper, it is the sensible thing to do.
I've never had that discipline either plus, I a) love new cars (as in, I am the first one that owned it), and b) I find that I get bored easily (major ADD) therefore, since I can also run thru my company, leasing was best option
Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, that's exactly what I did as I explained. Bought a 2007 C4S this August with 6K miles on it, CPO! Also, my calculations showed it was cheaper to finance than lease. I never keep that much cash around.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Steve...hell if I listened to my own advice just a tenth of the time I would be better off let alone my Dad.

Dave

Quick Reply: The lease vs. buy debate (accounting types?)