Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running The 997 During The Winter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running The 997 During The Winter???

Like many of us here, my 997 has been and will be
sitting in my garage for several months with the battery
maintainer trickling away.

I plan on driving it whenever the weather clears a bit, however,
we just received 14" of snow, so it will be sitting for some time.

Does anyone recommend starting the car every week or
so and just letting it run in the garage for a while?
Or is it best to just let it sit?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

All things mechanical need to run once in a while. Most topics I've read on storage indicate starting a car at least once a month to get things moving around.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have read he opposite. If the car is in hibernation leave it be. More wear takes place at that first start after standing than any other time.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I have read he opposite. If the car is in hibernation leave it be. More wear takes place at that first start after standing than any other time.
+1
Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

If you can´t drive the car so that it reaches operating temperature let the car be. Idling in the garage does not give the same results. Put the battery on trickle charging and wait until the weather is getting good enough. Some say you may leave the car all winter without starting utan några problem. I have done so with my motorcycle many years. But with the car i have choosen to start it and drive it to operating temperature every 4 - 6 weeks during the winter months if the weather permits.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 PM
jkramer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the key is bringing it up to full operating temperature. The worse thing to do is run a car for a few minutes and then turn it off.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
zekeman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...why I got rid of the performance tires and changed to all season. We just had 12" of snow here...when it clears and dries, the car will be on the road. I decided to drop the summer performance tires completely and not change out tires on a seasonal basis...it's pretty much a good weather car only.
Z
Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each his own, but I have been driving my 09 C4S in the snow for 6 weeks now, and it is fantastic. Snow tires are a must of course and the ride on my 18" 's is SO much better. And it handles great on these tires (Pirelli SottoZero's)on dry pavement. And it is a drifting KING on the snowy corners if you enjoy that sort of thing.

These cars are a freakin hoot to drive in the snow. Why would you ever let a steadily depreciating asset sit and lose money (drip, drip, drip) in a dank, dark, moldy garage for 6 months of the year? Insanity I tell you! lol
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by savyboy
To each his own, but I have been driving my 09 C4S in the snow for 6 weeks now, and it is fantastic. Snow tires are a must of course and the ride on my 18" 's is SO much better. And it handles great on these tires (Pirelli SottoZero's)on dry pavement. And it is a drifting KING on the snowy corners if you enjoy that sort of thing.

These cars are a freakin hoot to drive in the snow. Why would you ever let a steadily depreciating asset sit and lose money (drip, drip, drip) in a dank, dark, moldy garage for 6 months of the year? Insanity I tell you! lol
+1. I love driving the C4S in the snow also. Great handling and love the look on others expression when they see a Porsche in snow. It would be a waste just to stare at it sitting in the garage during the cold months.

John
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the comments guys.

I plan on taking it out once the weather clears a bit.

However, for the time being, it's going to sit. The factory
Pirellis are horrible in one inch of snow, let alone 14 inches.

So, a brief general consensus is to not start it and
let it run without driving it?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
(Sigh). My C4 cab has been sitting in our Denver garage since November 1. Today I fired it up and moved it a few feet to rotate the snow tires. Then, we piled into my wife's Subaru and drove up to the mountains. On the way, we saw two C4 cabs out and about. (Sigh). I think I may join the 12 months per year crowd.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I put winter tires on the GT3 so I can at least take it out on sub-freezing days when the roads are clean (no snow or ice). It's better than letting it sit all winter in the garage. However, if you are going to do that, be sure to overinflate the tires to prevent flatspotting. Check your manual but I think the long term storage inflation spec is over 50 psi. Just remember to drop the pressure back to the correct range before you go back out on the roads.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was reading my 964 Enthusiast's guide last night and it said specifically "Leave it alone while in storage". But I also have read that you should warm up and circulate the oil. So, for the past several years I've been starting and let run for 15 minutes, allowing at least 5 minutes at full operating temperature. Then rolling the car a few inches to help avoid flat spots.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

On public roads I enjoy driving most when there's snow or ice. Trying to push the limits of the car and your skill without winning afoul of the law is frustrating when it's dry. When heavy snow falls I can look forward to fun that rivals a day at the track. This is especially true as I try to learn to drive my first 911.

While I was initially disappointed with the grip of my sottozeros 295 rear I changed my mind after a couple spirited drives in snowy parking lots.

For those of us in the upper Midwest these Ice Trials look like a good time.

http://www.w-a-g.org/
Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

you need winter tires. the factory tires are useless (read not safe) below 40 deg. pick up a cheap set of wheels and put blizzaks on them and have fun with the car in teh snow...

Quick Reply: Running The 997 During The Winter???