Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the 997's depreciate as badly as the 996?

 
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 PM
  #46  
MLindgren
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The D
Posts: 1,757
Default

Originally Posted by stubenhocker View Post

You're kidding right? The 997's Gen1 suffered from IMS and RMS problems! I wouldn't touch one out of warranty! It gradually improved from 2006 onward, but the trouble still lurks!

The Gen2 997 will hold its value much better because of the engine redesign which is FAR better than the Gen1 version!
I've not read of a 2006+ car that had an IMS/RMS failure. Pretty bold to make that prediction on the Gen2 car being much better given that it is so new. I think I've read about more HPFP failures on the new car than I have IMS failures on the old car. Regardless I have seen way more failed RMS and other problems on the 996. You can't tell me with a straight face you think the 997s are anything near what the 996 was in terms of quality. No way.
MLindgren is offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 AM
  #47  
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Ahmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cary NC
Posts: 3,409
Default

I wonder how much the "internet reputation" of engine failures really influences the prices these cars dictate in the used car market...

Used car depreciation is very hard to predict, I -as a person who buys his Porsches used- welcome any drop!

BTW, the last true Porsche was the 356, pfft, please.
Ahmet is offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 02:31 PM
  #48  
CarGuy21
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I think the best approach is to buy the car, drive it until the doors fall off, then buy the next one.

Big second on that!!
CarGuy21 is offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
  #49  
utkinpol
Super User
 
utkinpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 5,888
Default

Originally Posted by MLindgren View Post
I've not read of a 2006+ car that had an IMS/RMS failure. Pretty bold to make that prediction on the Gen2 car being much better given that it is so new. I think I've read about more HPFP failures on the new car than I have IMS failures on the old car. Regardless I have seen way more failed RMS and other problems on the 996. You can't tell me with a straight face you think the 997s are anything near what the 996 was in terms of quality. No way.
New DFI engine is also quite a dark horse IMHO - I`ve read multiple complaints of how much oil this engine uses. In one case issue was even pushed into Porsche approved engine replacement.

Also carbon build up on valves is other DFI issue to consider. Once '09 DFI cars will start hitting 50K miles mark in 4-5 years I guess we will know how good they are in reality, but so far I would not hurry with any suggestions.

'06+ 997.1 cars seem to run mostly OK based on lack of complaints on forums. RMS leak seem to be more common among garage queens than on cars that are actively driven. So, so far so good with 997.1s.
utkinpol is offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
  #50  
Fahrer
User
 
Fahrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,410
Default

If I were leasing the car I really would not care but I purchased mine as a keeper. I went with the leftover 2008 because it 1) was a very good deal, 2) is the last of the 997.1 so things like the IMS shaft have been improved and the RMS has been also improved 3) does not include the new unknowns such as the DI technology with HPFP and possible carbon buildup or the new alloy surface for the engine. I know that the 997.2 eliminates the IMS and RMS issues. Also, it has more HP and a bit more mpg but these are not so important. Only time wil tell.
Fahrer is offline  
Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
  #51  
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member
 
Graygoose997's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Reality
Posts: 7,635
Default

Originally Posted by Ahmet View Post
I wonder how much the "internet reputation" of engine failures really influences the prices these cars dictate in the used car market....
The problem of porous engine blocks, which was a Boxster specific problem, and required engine replacement back in the 98-99 models has been linked to the 996 repeatedly, even though not a single 996 suffered from that issue.
Graygoose997 is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
  #52  
jumper5836
Super User
 
jumper5836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: great white north
Posts: 8,138
Default

lol talking about the red headed step child. The 997.1 is ugly because of the increased engine compartment's height making it look like a basket ball rear was shoved in the rear end. The lines of the rear lid don't line up and there is no rear red reflector like the early 911's. If you throw a GT3 wing on it, it will hide the hideous changes they made. Still the 911 classic lines are broken and its just plain ugly without the wing. Those wana be 993 lights and that fugly front bumper can also be fixed by fitting it with a GT3 front bumper . With the increased weight, extra sensors, electronics, air bags, alarms and fancy interior a base 997.1 is no faster then a 3.4L 996. Sorry but your 997's will depreciate just as bad as the 996.
jumper5836 is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
  #53  
yemenmocha
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
yemenmocha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,010
Default

Originally Posted by jumper5836 View Post
lol talking about the red headed step child. The 997.1 is ugly because of the increased engine compartment's height making it look like a basket ball rear was shoved in the rear end. The lines of the rear lid don't line up and there is no rear red reflector like the early 911's. If you throw a GT3 wing on it, it will hide the hideous changes they made. Still the 911 classic lines are broken and its just plain ugly without the wing. Those wana be 993 lights and that fugly front bumper can also be fixed by fitting it with a GT3 front bumper . With the increased weight, extra sensors, electronics, air bags, alarms and fancy interior a base 997.1 is no faster then a 3.4L 996. Sorry but your 997's will depreciate just as bad as the 996.
LOL is this the same copy/paste message you've posted elsewhere? You're pretty much the only person I've seen who complains about the rear of the 997, especially with that silly basketball analogy. Anytime someone mentions "egg yolk headlamps" or "ugly interior" or "step child 996" this tirade seems to appear.
yemenmocha is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
  #54  
jumper5836
Super User
 
jumper5836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: great white north
Posts: 8,138
Default

Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
LOL is this the same copy/paste message you've posted elsewhere? You're pretty much the only person I've seen who complains about the rear of the 997, especially with that silly basketball analogy. Anytime someone mentions "egg yolk headlamps" or "ugly interior" or "step child 996" this tirade seems to appear.
Nope but I've probably improved on it and added a few more things. As like the same people who always throw in their comments to put down the 996, I stick up for it. Sry everyone has their right to their opinion.
jumper5836 is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
  #55  
CamsPorsche
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 4,052
Default

Originally Posted by jumper5836 View Post
lol talking about the red headed step child. The 997.1 is ugly because of the increased engine compartment's height making it look like a basket ball rear was shoved in the rear end. The lines of the rear lid don't line up and there is no rear red reflector like the early 911's. If you throw a GT3 wing on it, it will hide the hideous changes they made. Still the 911 classic lines are broken and its just plain ugly without the wing. Those wana be 993 lights and that fugly front bumper can also be fixed by fitting it with a GT3 front bumper . With the increased weight, extra sensors, electronics, air bags, alarms and fancy interior a base 997.1 is no faster then a 3.4L 996. Sorry but your 997's will depreciate just as bad as the 996.
haha...not likely as the 997 isn't as ugly as the 996. If someone walked up to me and asked me good deal on a 996 versus okay deal on a 997 I know I'd take the 997 all day long.

<<<<<what's not to like about this ***?
CamsPorsche is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
  #56  
yemenmocha
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
yemenmocha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,010
Default

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche View Post
haha...not likely as the 997 isn't as ugly as the 996. If someone walked up to me and asked me good deal on a 996 versus okay deal on a 997 I know I'd take the 997 all day long.

<<<<<what's not to like about this ***?
apparently it is pregnant with a basketball.
yemenmocha is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
  #57  
yemenmocha
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
yemenmocha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,010
Default

I guess what's supposed to be preferable is this rear:



this front:

yemenmocha is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
  #58  
gpk
User
 
gpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Austin, Texas, Earth
Posts: 36
Default

If you really want to know, put your 997 up for sale and see what happens. You won't be happy.
gpk is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
  #59  
jumper5836
Super User
 
jumper5836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: great white north
Posts: 8,138
Default

Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
I guess what's supposed to be preferable is this rear:



this front:

nah , nah
This rear



and this front

jumper5836 is offline  
Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 PM
  #60  
crcjr1963
User
 
crcjr1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 61
Default

That is a nice looking 911!
crcjr1963 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the 997's depreciate as badly as the 996?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: