Sponsored by:

Got my new Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's mounted

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:30 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got my new Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's mounted

OEM sizes fit nicely on my SII rims, drive nice, seem to perform very well too. Most importantly, I'm not sacrificing too much street performance over my RE050A's vs. going with a dedicated snow tire, and it's GREAT to be driving my C2S CAB in 15° temps. I'm a happy guy.

If it's really snowing, I'll take my 4WD truck as I would anyway. The roads in Mass are well plowed, I don't see the point of snow tires, unless it's an only vehicle. Even so, the RE960AS are designed for light snow, and most people in Mass are driving on far less capable tires in all snow conditions. My Wife's AWD SUV doesn't even have M+S rated tires, the RE960AS are M+S rated.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
OEM sizes fit nicely on my SII rims, drive nice, seem to perform very well too. Most importantly, I'm not sacrificing too much street performance over my RE050A's vs. going with a dedicated snow tire, and it's GREAT to be driving my C2S CAB in 15° temps. I'm a happy guy.

If it's really snowing, I'll take my 4WD truck as I would anyway. The roads in Mass are well plowed, I don't see the point of snow tires, unless it's an only vehicle. Even so, the RE960AS are designed for light snow, and most people in Mass are driving on far less capable tires in all snow conditions. My Wife's AWD SUV doesn't even have M+S rated tires, the RE960AS are M+S rated.
Good choice, however, I don't see a point in having Summer+A/S tires and alternating them. All seasons WON'T perform as well under 7 degree celsius (44 farenheit), compared to Winter tires, that is ON DRY ROADS, and in snow there's no contest.

The N-rated Winter tires for Porsche are excellent performers, and since I put the Michelin PA2 on my car, I haven't noticed much handling degredation in lower temps compared to my PS2s. They are not the typical Blizzak winters.

At any rate, enjoy your new tires. I am looking forward to trying my tires in light snow later on this season... it's always fun to drive Porsche in snow (specially C4S)!

PS. BTW, you go through 997s quite quickly!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
Good choice, however, I don't see a point in having Summer+A/S tires and alternating them. All seasons WON'T perform as well under 7 degree celsius (44 farenheit), compared to Winter tires, that is ON DRY ROADS, and in snow there's no contest.
If we got lots of snow, sure I'd go with dedicated snow tires, if I was looking to drive my C2S CAB in the snow, but my part of Mass only sees 3 or 4 accumulating snowfalls a season. My primary reason for the tires is to drive in the alternating temperatures from October thru March, which can vary from 5° to 70°, for that these will work best for me.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 402 Posts

I have 960AS tires on my x-type. They are terrific in summer and for the first 2 years. But I'm now into my 3rd year and maybe 15,000 miles on the tires and the grip in rain sucks compared to before. I used to be able to go flat out around some corners in the rain. Now the back end snaps out so I slowed down. And in the snow I'm basically drifting every corner unless I take the turn at 10mph or less. They just don't grip well anymore in anything but dry, warm weather.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:04 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I have 960AS tires on my x-type. They are terrific in summer and for the first 2 years. But I'm now into my 3rd year and maybe 15,000 miles on the tires and the grip in rain sucks compared to before. I used to be able to go flat out around some corners in the rain. Now the back end snaps out so I slowed down. And in the snow I'm basically drifting every corner unless I take the turn at 10mph or less. They just don't grip well anymore in anything but dry, warm weather.
Good to know, I doubt mine will see 15,000 miles though. I get new 911's long before that.

Quick Reply: Got my new Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's mounted