Sponsored by:

Adding PSE exhaust button to Sport/PASM car

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Adding PSE exhaust button to Sport/PASM car

I was wondering if it's possible to add an additonal PSE button (the exhaust icon one) to cars that have both Sports Chrono and PASM?

I wanna be able to install PSE without syncing it to Sport.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM
ross74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer is yes. If you retrofit the PSE you get a new console with the extra button. Then when you press Sport the sport exhaust goes on as well, but you can switch it on/off separately
Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

That's sweet. I was thinking about doing this setup as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ross74
The answer is yes. If you retrofit the PSE you get a new console with the extra button. Then when you press Sport the sport exhaust goes on as well, but you can switch it on/off separately
Is there such an OEM console? I have never seen one. If so, that'd be AWESOME!

The PSE button is provided for non-sport/PASM cars, not sure if I can fit it into mine.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:58 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Basically, I wanna make PSE independant of Sports button, like be able to do this:

- Sport on - PSE on
- Sport on - PSE off
- Sport off- PSE on
- Sport off- PSE off

ALSO, I wanna be able to use the PSE button that comes with non-sports chrono cars to control the PSE from the front dash. Is it possible to just add a switch to the available panel (should be able to fabricate one).

More importantly, I want to know if technically, it is possible to wire the PSE to a Sports Chrono car, like a non-sports chrono!

Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 02:33 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Basically, I wanna make PSE independant of Sports button, like be able to do this:

- Sport on - PSE on
- Sport on - PSE off
- Sport off- PSE on
- Sport off- PSE off

ALSO, I wanna be able to use the PSE button that comes with non-sports chrono cars to control the PSE from the front dash. Is it possible to just add a switch to the available panel (should be able to fabricate one).

More importantly, I want to know if technically, it is possible to wire the PSE to a Sports Chrono car, like a non-sports chrono!

Thanks
It is simplest to modify it as if you were installing it from scratch like I did. I installed a PSE in my T4S with sport chrono. The wiring harness from the solenoid goes into the car and normally gets connected to the ECU as well as the "sport" button control on the dash. I ignored the wires that were supposed to go to the ECU (ie I didn't connect them to anything) and simply grounded the ground wire and ran the power wire to a simple switch I mounted in my cigarette ashtray, then to a spare circuit in the fuse panel that is switched with ignition. With this setup you turn on and turn off the PSE at will, with no intervention of the electronics and no need to run in Sport mode. Putting the switch in the ashtray is MUCH simpler than trying to add the PSE switch on the PCM panel that is used for non-sport chrono cars equipped with PSE from the factory.

I wanted to include a photo of my switch, but can't find it right now.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:19 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keninirvine
It is simplest to modify it as if you were installing it from scratch like I did. I installed a PSE in my T4S with sport chrono. The wiring harness from the solenoid goes into the car and normally gets connected to the ECU as well as the "sport" button control on the dash. I ignored the wires that were supposed to go to the ECU (ie I didn't connect them to anything) and simply grounded the ground wire and ran the power wire to a simple switch I mounted in my cigarette ashtray, then to a spare circuit in the fuse panel that is switched with ignition. With this setup you turn on and turn off the PSE at will, with no intervention of the electronics and no need to run in Sport mode. Putting the switch in the ashtray is MUCH simpler than trying to add the PSE switch on the PCM panel that is used for non-sport chrono cars equipped with PSE from the factory.

I wanted to include a photo of my switch, but can't find it right now.
Ok, so can I connect the ECU wire, and then instead of connecting the other wire to Sport button, connect it to the PSE button? and somehow fit it on the dash?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I investigated that option for my 06 and thought the factory switch interfaces with the socket for the panel.
Therefore, I used the ashtray alternative as I will on my 09S.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:32 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

im thinking about the PSE as well as a Tubi.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I was wondering if it's possible to add an additonal PSE button (the exhaust icon one) to cars that have both Sports Chrono and PASM?

I wanna be able to install PSE without syncing it to Sport.
Yes, I have SPASM and Chrono from factory and then added the PSE and got a cool little button w/ an exhaust symbol on it.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Yes, I have SPASM and Chrono from factory and then added the PSE and got a cool little button w/ an exhaust symbol on it.
But ur 997.2!!! it was an option to begin with...
Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
I investigated that option for my 06 and thought the factory switch interfaces with the socket for the panel.
Is that what my 07's ashtray hole recess is for? I always wondered about that.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:41 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Better use for the sunbber!

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...arrytrk/parts/
Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Maybe I am not explaining myself...

I wanna keep the look OEM, and use the PSE/Exhaust icon button on the dash, next to Spoiler/PASM/Sport button... I probably need to fabricate a hole in the switch panel to add another button as I don't believe there's an OEM one with enough slots.

My main question which I haven't been able to answer, is that CAN I USE the PSE button along with Sport button? hooked up to ECU (still like the 50miles automatic PSE ON feature).

I wanna put it next to other buttons, using OEM PSE button (like here):

Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
More details please.
I'm going to buy PSE for my wife.
Did you do the install, or pay $$$ to do it?

Thanks

Craig

Quick Reply: Adding PSE exhaust button to Sport/PASM car