Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spent Sunday detailing the baby, 21 photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Love the car and especially the garage. Question, do you like the clear bra? Would you recommend it as a must have or something that you would not consider again? Thanks again. Keep her looking clean.

Jay
Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Jay Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go-C4S-injune- Thanks for your positive feedback! As far as the garage goes, I'm sure you have companies on the East Coast that do custom garage installations. We have several good ones out in Los Angeles. When I was planning my custom garage, I weighed out all of my options. The companies I could have hired were charging an arm and a leg, CRAZY prices! The bigger issue for me was that I'm a complete detail oriented perfectionist. My wife would choose to call it "OCD!" Considering the hundreds & hundreds of details that were going to go into the garage, I was absolutely positive that nobody could plan and perform the installation up to my standards. Thus, I took on the project myself. Although it took up 6 straight weekends, I was thrilled with the end result. Not to mention the wonderful sense of accomplishment from doing it with my own two hands!

DJ23- Hey Jay, so far so good with the Premier Films clear bra. Premier is the absolute standard for these custom film installs, their work is second to none! My opinion certainly might change in a few years once it gets scuffed up a little bit. But, for now it keeps the rock chips at bay and the black paint job looking good! If I purchased a light colored high-end car in the future, I would be on the fence on whether or not to install the clear bra. But, for black, dark blue & dark grey paint jobs, I would absolutely recommend Premier Films for a clear bra installation.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Jones; 12-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good, always makes the driving more fun too
Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I like MOST of what you did--but the 20 inchers are just too much for me. But then, it's just my opinion.

Don't forget in the future to pop those lids and let us look under the hoods, too. Have you installed Das Shield yet?

Assume you added a center cooler?

Trust you have all that stuff secured inside the front cubby hole? (V1 remotes):
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 AM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes, I remember your garage... Awesome! And the car is top notch too. Love what you have done with both! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 AM
Jay Jones
Rennlist Member

First off Dan, I want to sincerely say "thank you" for all you give to this board. I joined Rennlist in 2007 when I first started to seriously consider my first Porsche purchase. I can't tell you how many posts of yours I came across. All were informative & insightful, I learned so much! I just wanted to take a moment and let you know that you are very much appreciated.

Okay, to answer a few of your questions....

The 20" wheels always stir up quite a debate amongst Porsche enthusiasts. Some folks find them a little too "blingy" for their taste. Personally, I absolutely love the way they look on a 997, just a personal preference. I have driven 997's with 19" wheels, the ride quality & handling is pretty darn close. I honestly always believe that when Porsche owners claim the 20" wheels dramatically affect ride quality, most have never driven a 997 with 20's. I could be wrong on that, just a hunch.....

The Das Shield has absolutely been installed, so the inside of the hood is safe and sound!

I have not added a center radiator yet. It is actually something that I have considered, still on the fence at this point.....

The V1 remote display is secured to the top of cubby hole using some thin double-sided tape. I actually studied your V1 installation thread before I moved ahead with my installation. I love the cover you fabricated to keep your remotes hidden, nice work! I would like to come up with something similar to hide my remote as well.

Thanks again for everything Dan, you make a difference!

Jay
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Jay,
Both the car and garage are great! Thanks for sharing!
Question: what wax do you use and what if anything do you use on the clear bra!
Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait!!! I figured out something your garage is missing! You need a PORSCHE banner! There was a post recently with a link for buying a white or black one (I bought both)...

And, I want to +1 for comments about Dan's contribution to this Board. When pondering what to do with my P-Car, I often find myself wondering, "WWDD?" Someone needs to design a bracelet-thingy...Thanks, DAN!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 138 Posts

Jay, lovely job of detailing the car.

The garage is terrific too. It's going to be my spring project.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Bravo Jay, job nicely done. Car looks great and I concur with you regarding 20" wheels.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Jay Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GraSox
Jay,
Both the car and garage are great! Thanks for sharing!
Question: what wax do you use and what if anything do you use on the clear bra!
Thanks!
Currently, I have a coat of Rejex on the car. I have used various high quality carnuba waxes as well. The clear bra can be clayed and waxed just like the paint. I always use a very mild clay on the bra, nothing abrasive whatsoever. I don't polish the areas with clear bra, I'm too concerned about damage/scratching. But, applying a coat of wax or sealer to the clear bra is completely acceptable according to Premier Films.

Jay
Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Jay--you're becoming a slave to all that BLACK! Install a center cooler sometime so that you take advantage of the center air redirect you installed. Which tires are on the 20s? I suspect that makes a difference, as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Jay Jones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Jay--you're becoming a slave to all that BLACK! Install a center cooler sometime so that you take advantage of the center air redirect you installed. Which tires are on the 20s? I suspect that makes a difference, as well.
You are correct Dan, I'm truly becoming a slave to the black car! Nothing compares to a freshly detailed black Porsche 911, simply breathtaking in my opinon. I will keep your center cooler recommendation in mind for the future, thanks for that. Lastly, I run PS2's on the 20" HRE 590R's, they are fantastic tires!

Jay
Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A badass garage for a badass car.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:02 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very tastefully done!

Quick Reply: Spent Sunday detailing the baby, 21 photos