Sponsored by:

2009 C4S on Snow Tires/Wheels. Victor Zehn 18"/Pirelli Sottozero N2's

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 C4S on Snow Tires/Wheels. Victor Zehn 18"/Pirelli Sottozero N2's

Bit of a hassle to put this package together as no one place had everything I wanted.

Decided to setup a winter wheel/tire package to make swap easy, quick, and a garage affair.

Couldn't assemble what I wanted in 19", and 18" offers a tad more sidewall for protection, so I went 18"

I have PCCB and there is NO clearance problems (not even close).

Porsche TPMS sensors/valve stem kits from Tire Rack ~$103 x 4

Pirelli Sottozero Serie II N2. This is the very latest version and Porsche approved (N rating). Good gawd look at the sipes on that tread! Those are going to be some grippy beotches. Tire Rack ~$215 x 2. ~$295 x 2.

"Winter 240 Sottozero tires are Pirelli's "dual-season" Performance Winter tires that were developed to be effective as temperatures approach freezing and below from mid-autumn until early spring by offering hot performance compared to summer tires when driven on dry, wet or icy cold surfaces. Winter Sottozero tires are for the drivers of high performance sport cars, coupes and sedans who don't let their enthusiasm for driving cool off in winter"

"All Winter Sottozero Performance Winter tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol."

Victor Equipment wheels-18". Black finish. Porsche specific, hub centric, strong, good looking, cheap! Won't cry if I scuff them. Discount Tire (local store) ~$280 x 4.

Performance report after some snow/ice miles. I have no doubt ground clearance will be my only issue.

Pics:
Attached Images      
Old 12-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I dig the setup... I didn't have the guts to trust the other drivers around here in the snow. Looks really good!!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Thank you sir!

A poster in another thread commented that he put on winter tires so that he could get the hell out of the way from the wayward idiots. Commented that he had a car coming at him, sliding, and he had no traction to manuever.

That struck a chord and I don't want to be in that situation.

Two weeks ago we had 5-6 days of 0-10 degree temps and that really deserves winter rubber even if no snow/ice/rain (softer compound).

And I don't want to park my car (that is AWD!) from Dec-April due to cold temps and icy spots on the road. One of the ski resorts at N Tahoe has some great sushi, and I like driving the Carrera through the mountains! Ergo- winter tires
Old 12-19-2009, 02:35 AM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a winter set for my C4S... This will be the first time I will drive a P-car in the winter.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:33 AM
jyslou
Instructor

Looks great. Very nice black with yellow combination. I got Sottozero II's a few weeks back. Have worked brilliantly so far.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You guys are some serious risk-takers! I am hoping you guys have incident-free winters enjoying your Porsches. I may follow suit next year, but I live in the land of "my last car was a donkey".
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Got in some snow/slush/wet driving yesterday.

These Pirelli Sottozero tires are fantastic. Driving on the snow was no problem at all. It was awesome fun to power slide around when I wanted to, but I really had to get on it to break the tires loose. Very progressive loss of traction and so easy and fun to play with it.

The previous summer tires traction characteristics were on/off quality and much less forgiving.

Traction was superb. No ice experience yet. So far very very happy with how these tires work in snow/slush. The 18" also ride soooo much better than the 19" with summer rubber. Much less harsh.

After this experience, I will gladly change rubber when the season changes and the temps go down. If you will be driving in <40 degree temps, I urge you to get some dedicated winter rubber. It is not a compromise, it is so much more confidence inspiring and much more safe.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

These Pirelli Sottozero tires are fantastic. Driving on the snow was no problem at all. It was awesome fun to power slide around when I wanted to, but I really had to get on it to break the tires loose. Very progressive loss of traction and so easy and fun to play with it.

The previous summer tires traction characteristics were on/off quality and much less forgiving.

Traction was superb. No ice experience yet. So far very very happy with how these tires work in snow/slush. The 18" also ride soooo much better than the 19" with summer rubber. Much less harsh.

After this experience, I will gladly change rubber when the season changes and the temps go down. If you will be driving in <40 degree temps, I urge you to get some dedicated winter rubber. It is not a compromise, it is so much more confidence inspiring and much more safe.
I'm glad you did it.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Now go get your lug nuts (bolts) powder coated! They look like really sticky tires. Today's snow tires are NOTHING like the ones from decades ago.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Agreed! I got the Michelin PA2s on 18s as well. It actually handles BETTER in colder weather than the PS2! Even on dry roads... and the ride, as you said, SO MUCH BETTER!

I wan't wait to try them in snow...
Old 12-24-2009, 06:14 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Just installed the same wheels and tires last night but with Victor caps. I like your caps better.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
I'm glad you did it.
Damn instigator...

Glad you brought it up!

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Now go get your lug nuts (bolts) powder coated!
I had the same lugs with my AMT Tech 1-109 matte black and I kind of like the contrast between the black wheels and silver lugs and center caps. Either would look good I think and a personal preference thing

Originally Posted by 4 Track Mind
Just installed the same wheels and tires last night but with Victor caps. I like your caps better.
Awesome! You know, Victor is about out of the Zehn style wheels? Some silver still in stock last I saw.

You know the stock Porsche caps just push right out and pop right in the new hubs? Super easy! And the Porsche caps are plastic! Can be bought online for about $15 I think. Post a review when you get some bad weather experience?

PS- My C4S set-up handles wayyyy better than my Cayenne on the 18" Nitto All-Terrain Nitto Terra Grapplers in the snow and mucky stuff. The C4S feels totally planted and connected while the Cayenne feels a bit skittish at times.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 PM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

Big Zehn shipment from ?Australia to US arrived last week. Delivered FedEx to Discount Tire Naperville, IL last night at 5 pm. Excellent service. Out the door shortly after 6 and they were busy. This store services many of the Porsche Financial cars out of Lisle, IL. Reportedly they prefer 295 in back so that's what I ordered. Slick ice and slush last night. Grip less than Blizzaks on an Audi. This is likely more a function of tire width than AWD system. I really enjoy driving in the snow. In retrospect I should have sought a width and compound allowing more aggressive snow/ice driving. If you see lots of snow I'd consider 265 rear and a compound that might sacrifice some dry grip in favor of ice adhesion. These are early impressions based on fewer than 50 stops and 10 turns on ice/snow.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:07 AM
4 Track Mind
Advanced

victorequipmentwheels.com > inventory
Zehn black 18 x 9.5 QTY Available = 0. 18 x 11 & 18 x 8 in stock.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Do you know if those tires come siped?

Quick Reply: 2009 C4S on Snow Tires/Wheels. Victor Zehn 18"/Pirelli Sottozero N2's