Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does installing OEM parts by non-dealer void Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Question Does installing OEM parts by non-dealer void Warranty?

I am thinking of PSE, X51 headers and maybe X51 Oil pan. Wanna order them myself and install at a non-dealer shop (great local guys).

I am just not sure if the install by non-dealer would have any effect on Warranty, even if the parts are OEM! Anyone has ever experienced an issue like that in the past?

On another note, what's the solution for having the abiltity to turn PSE on/off, WITHOUT engaging Sport mode?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

PSE on/off just install a switch, hot wired directly to solenoid. I did it on my 06 and am doing it to my 09.
System should have the standard 2 year Porsche parts warranty, however they must show that it was not properly installed to void it. I believe anything from cats back is ok as far as Porsche car warranty.
Anyone else feel free to chime in.
I negotiated a deal with my dealer for install with my switch at a cost savings.

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...arrytrk/parts/
Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larrytrk
PSE on/off just install a switch, hot wired directly to solenoid. I did it on my 06 and am doing it to my 09.
System should have the standard 2 year Porsche parts warranty, however they must show that it was not properly installed to void it. I believe anything from cats back is ok as far as Porsche car warranty.
Anyone else feel free to chime in.
I negotiated a deal with my dealer for install with my switch at a cost savings.

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...arrytrk/parts/
Is there anyway to use the PSE button (for non-S cars), embedded within the dash?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am thinking of PSE, X51 headers and maybe X51 Oil pan. Wanna order them myself and install at a non-dealer shop (great local guys).

I am just not sure if the install by non-dealer would have any effect on Warranty, even if the parts are OEM! Anyone has ever experienced an issue like that in the past?

On another note, what's the solution for having the abiltity to turn PSE on/off, WITHOUT engaging Sport mode?

Thanks
They can. Read your owners manual. There's a section, maybe in the warranty booklet, on servicing and repair and the use of non-OEM parts and having the work done at someplace other than a dealer, etc, and how it can affect the car's overall warranty and the warranty on any items installed.

I know someone will chip in this against the law and it is, unless and this is an important point overlooked sometimes, unless the manufacturer of the item (car in this case) states very clearly what can invalidate a warranty or will not be covered under the existing warranty.

Read the owners manual and warranty booklet very carefully to learn of any prohibitions against doing what you are of thinking of doing.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
I'm having PSE and X51s installed at MCL next week. I got the parts from Suncoast on their 10% Turkey Day (or something) sale off their already-great-prices.

Great guys are everywhere when you're writing cheques - I think the service guys at MCL are first rate. From the wrenches to the service writers (particularly Kyle), I've always received first-rate treatment, including ad hoc drive-up "tweak this and that" kinda service. Sales guys are a different kettle of fish but I couldn't care less.

I'm way more comfortable having my car factory "altered" while still under warranty, doesn't make sense to me to try to shave a few bucks or deal with a buddy. There are lots of great Porsche shops around Van, noteably M & B Euromotors - just checking out the racing stock in the garage is worth the visit. I go there for fluids, etc. on the Porsche and work on my other vehicles.

I'd comparison shop the cost of your proposed installs before you write-off the idea of having MCL do your work.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't take a chance, let the dealer install it, it may cost you a few extra dollars.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM
purrybonker
Pro

I am thinking of PSE, X51 headers...
BTW - are those Carrera Sports on your car? Looks like it, I think they're far and away the best looking wheels on a 997. Of course, I'm biased (another Suncoast based acquisition).

I was looking at your avatar and I finally figured out that you snapped that pic out at Mission am I right?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purrybonker
BTW - are those Carrera Sports on your car? Looks like it, I think they're far and away the best looking wheels on a 997. Of course, I'm biased (another Suncoast based acquisition).

I was looking at your avatar and I finally figured out that you snapped that pic out at Mission am I right?
Yes, they are Carrera Sports and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE EM! It was Mission, good call!

Here's from another side:

In the parking lot:

The Winter package (Carrera Classic 18s)

How much did they quote you for install? I got totally turned off when they quoted me $600 for Oil change, while Scan quoted $270! Since MCL is the only local dealer, they sometimes try to take advantage of people.

What X51 did you get? the header only?

Last edited by alexb76; 12-17-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Love em - my summers are Carrera Sports and lobster forks for winter, haven't put em on yet though. I really hate taking off my summer wheels.

I'm putting on the headers and PSE with connection to the Sport button, it's about a grand to install at MCL. I'm not so sure MCL upcharges - I'm betting they bill according to the book. But, as I said - I can't say enough about the service.

Oil change in Pheonix last spring was no more expensive than MCL. But, who knows...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purrybonker
I'm putting on the headers and PSE with connection to the Sport button, it's about a grand to install at MCL. ...
I have read a post a while back (not sure if it was this web site) that a person had purchased the PSE and either install it them selves or had an non pcar shop install it. They had a problem with the weld joints inside the mufflers going bad. The pcar dealer would not warranty the PSE since it was not installed by them. This may have been an isolated case. Who knows?

Anyway, I purchased the PSE and had it installed by the dealer for $150 labor a few months ago on my 08 C2. They did not hook up any of the vacuum hoses or wiring. Therefore, the PSE is active all the time. I love the sound all the time. I suggest you hear a pcar with PSE and see if you want to go in that direction. It will should save you $$.

Good luck.......
Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Harvey in MD
Anyway, I purchased the PSE and had it installed by the dealer for $150 labor a few months ago on my 08 C2. They did not hook up any of the vacuum hoses or wiring. Therefore, the PSE is active all the time. I love the sound all the time. I suggest you hear a pcar with PSE and see if you want to go in that direction. It will should save you $$.

Good luck.......
Definitely the solution to save a bundle on the installation tab!

It's the wiring part of the install that burns all the time. I have heard PSE cars and definitely like the sound. With a cab and longish road trips, I also like the idea of being able to dial the sound down a notch if I feel the urge, particularly with the X51 headers. So I don't mind paying more for the original-equipment type solution.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

The Winter package (Carrera Classic 18s)

^Those are actually Carrera III wheels. The Carrera Classic is only available in 19" and has a slightly different spoke design.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:19 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Per federal law (Magnuson-Moss) they cannot void your warranty, expecially when you use OEM parts. Of course if a non-dealer installs something wrong and that causes other problems, I'm sure Porsche has an out. Best course, as others have suggested, is get your OEM parts installed by your Porsche dealer, then there's no argument or nagging concern. If set on ordering your own parts, say at Suncoast, and having your local non-Porsche shop install, be certain you have 100% confidence that they will back-up their work and if say something goes wrong with their oil pan installation and you lose oil and blow the engine, they will be prepared to replace it. I'm most nervous about "internals" and I'd put a new oil pan in that category. Things like headers, cats, and mufflers I don't worry about at all - they are post-engine parts and to me worst case is an install that's not perfect and maybe a weld gives.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Per federal law (Magnuson-Moss) they cannot void your warranty, expecially when you use OEM parts. Of course if a non-dealer installs something wrong and that causes other problems, I'm sure Porsche has an out. Best course, as others have suggested, is get your OEM parts installed by your Porsche dealer, then there's no argument or nagging concern. If set on ordering your own parts, say at Suncoast, and having your local non-Porsche shop install, be certain you have 100% confidence that they will back-up their work and if say something goes wrong with their oil pan installation and you lose oil and blow the engine, they will be prepared to replace it. I'm most nervous about "internals" and I'd put a new oil pan in that category. Things like headers, cats, and mufflers I don't worry about at all - they are post-engine parts and to me worst case is an install that's not perfect and maybe a weld gives.
I think that sums it up quite well
Old 12-18-2009, 03:28 PM
purrybonker
Pro

How much did they quote you for install? I got totally turned off when they quoted me $600 for Oil change, while Scan quoted $270! Since MCL is the only local dealer, they sometimes try to take advantage of people.

What X51 did you get? the header only?
I would be curious to hear your Scan quote, are you going for the full install or leaving out the wiring to PCM?

Quick Reply: Does installing OEM parts by non-dealer void Warranty?