Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan GT-R wins again vs 997.2 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009 | 07:38 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by cfjan
Anyway, not trying to defend GT-R.. but as a Porsche owner, I can still appreciate other brands.
Definitely. Just speculating: If the GTR looked better and not so trendy/weird I might defect from Porsche. Same thing with Corvette: if it looked like it was designed by the Italians for Italian designers (with no regard for mass-appeal) I'd have a hard time not buying one. Though the engineering is..., uh... "non_German" both those cars are bargain$. Just sayin'.
Old 12-17-2009 | 02:42 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by niche
On a recent desert/mountain run I went on, ...
Black RUF Turbo. That's gotta be one of the coolest looking 911s I have ever seen - only THPorsche's avatar affects me in a similar way. Sorry, what was the topic...
Old 12-17-2009 | 10:45 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Would I be faster in the GT-R? Most likely. But I don't win any prize money for being fast. I like the driving experience that my GT3 provides. That's all I care about.

That said, I think GT-R does have plenty of history and legacy. (Comment on the quote below) It was (at least the older ones) raced extensively. Was in LeMan, etc. Which can't be said for any of the recent TT.

Anyway, not trying to defend GT-R.. but as a Porsche owner, I can still appreciate other brands.
You're right and there's nothing wrong with defending it.

It's a great car. Fast, solid...I even like the way it looks.

What's wrong with that?

I don't need to go a few seconds faster around a race track but I can understand the appeal. It's a cool car. Period.
Old 12-17-2009 | 11:25 AM
DWalker
Racer

just FWIW-

The Nissan obviously has great performance, and a lower price tag, but...

The Nissan is half the price of the 997TT, but just wait until you have to actually fix it! It is on my list of cars to never own out of warranty simply because there are 4 computers in the car that run everything. The AWD system has yet to be proven as robust over the long haul (given Nissans penchant for cheaping out, my guess is it is adequate but not over-engineered), and the VQ series of engines have already demonstrated thier shortcomings.
On the other hand, the 997TT is a straightforward car mechanically/electronically with excellent support from all sectors- OEM and aftermarket. While its not cheap to fix, compared to the Nissan it is likely to be surprisingly economical. The AWD system and engine dynamics are proven and over-engineered, as has been a Porsche trait from day 1.

In this day and age it is EASY to come up with a car that goes really effin fast, so that is not the proper yardstick to use when comparing these cars. As example my own Lancer Evolution8 is really damned fast, a car that doesnt do any one thing perfectly, but does a lot of things extremely well. It is definitely faster on track than many other cars, but does that make it a better buy? Not really, because at the end of the day its an economy car stuffed full of high-tech horsepower and handling, nothing more. The Nissan is a 350z with an AWD system a lot of computers to make up for driver shortcomings, nothing more, but maybe less.
Old 12-17-2009 | 09:45 PM
niche
Drifting

Sorry, I had to! Enjoy!

Old 12-17-2009 | 11:09 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DWalker
just FWIW-
On the other hand, the 997TT is a straightforward car mechanically/electronically
You're kidding right?
Old 12-17-2009 | 11:57 PM
Para82
Race Car

Well for what it's worth, a 2004 Mustang destroyed the Nissan Grand AM GTR and took the championship at the SCCA ITE.

Here is the link...
Page 7.... http://www.griggsracing.com/Newslett...21209LoRes.pdf

Where is oldguy? That's Griggs Racing baby!
Old 12-18-2009 | 04:39 PM
s4awd
Advanced

I like GT-R.. not a fanboy or anything, but I appreciate it, as it is quite an engineering feat. I don't own one, as I want something that's more pure, less electronic, more raw, and a high-revving N/A engine.. so I have a 996 GT3..

Would I be faster in the GT-R? Most likely. But I don't win any prize money for being fast. I like the driving experience that my GT3 provides. That's all I care about.

That said, I think GT-R does have plenty of history and legacy. (Comment on the quote below) It was (at least the older ones) raced extensively. Was in LeMan, etc. Which can't be said for any of the recent TT.

I hear you. I'm new to the forums and have basicly been on the GT3 threads, hopefully pulling the trigger on an 2010. I owned a GTR for a year and it was fun but as you, I've really enjoyed cars that "talked" to me.
Old 09-20-2011 | 12:30 AM
Super Snake
1st Gear

I have had an '09 GTR since Nov.2008 and bought a 2012 in May. I love the way the car looks and performs. I also love Porsche's, BMW's, Corvette's, Viper's, Audi's, ect.... My friends introduced me to DE's and I am hooked! They drive Porche's and we attend many PCA DE's and have always meant very nice people who are curious about my GTR. Most are impressed with the performance while some are not sure what to think. I can tell you from experience that it will help make a inexperienced driver much faster but it will NOT drive itself. It will help save you when you make a mistake and that is so important because it is very powerful and you can make alot of mistakes as you practice to become a better driver. I know I am a better driver than I was but not even close to as good as I could be someday with more training (DE's) and practice.
Old 09-20-2011 | 12:20 PM
Mbiondo
Rennlist Member

Who said the GT-R is ugly? I think you meant hideous. It is simply annoying to look at. Period.
Old 09-20-2011 | 12:54 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Who said the GT-R is ugly? I think you meant hideous. It is simply annoying to look at. Period.

Old 09-20-2011 | 12:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

such a funny thread.. a buddy of mine still has '55 chevy with about of 1070hp. I would love to see how his dragster will do that GT-R in a straight line.

It was a lot of interest to GT-R concept when it came out but then after people realised how quick they die on a track it is a done deal by now, no one even cares.
to sustain track driving stress level is what porsche cup cars are made for, and as most p-cars are coming down the tree from cup car level and most competitors are just trying now to grow up in the different direction from street grade cars it is not even comparable.

with any p-car you have pretty much whole motorsports catalog in your pocket, if it is deep enough to keep building up and that`s only part what matters, pretty much.
Old 09-20-2011 | 01:11 PM
kosmo
Race Director

lets beat this dead horse a little more
Old 09-20-2011 | 01:46 PM
PCC
Instructor

"The fact that the Nissan costs 1/2 the price can not be overlooked when looking at value/performance which is a measuring stick in any comparison."

I think that's the key ... the price/performance ratio

I had one of these on my tail last month. I was cruising about 80 mph. I thought it was some ridiculous rice burner so I stepped on the gas (actually floored it) ... was shocked to see him right on my bumper ... 140 mph (no other cars on this three lane highway for all you Mr Rogers types)

We slowed down and I let him pass .... went home and googled the car because I had never heard of it .... it's a ton of car for the money .... that said, it looks like a kit car and I would never buy one
Old 09-20-2011 | 02:21 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Yawn!!

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R wins again vs 997.2 Turbo