997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan GT-R wins again vs 997.2 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009 | 12:10 PM
texas911
Race Car

Competition is good for the consumer. Not so good for the manufacturer.
Old 12-14-2009 | 12:40 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Does that GT-R really compete, from a car sales perspective, with Porsche? While there may be some overlap in the target market, it just doesn't seem like it would be significant. I don't see a GT-R having much impact on the (would-be Porsche) consumer - maybe I'm wrong.
Old 12-14-2009 | 12:55 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

New Porsches are selling for significantly lower than MSRP whereas GTR are sold-out and from what I can gather in the resale market, holding up value very well (too well for my taste 'cuz I want one.) Having said that, at the end of the day, I'm gonna forego a GTR or a Turbo and just go buy a Ferrari, which seem to be taking the hardest hit from this economic recession (V8s basically offered without...) F-cars probably make a perfect toy for wknd joy-rides.
Old 12-14-2009 | 01:31 PM
lig
Racer

Originally Posted by stevepow
Does that GT-R really compete, from a car sales perspective, with Porsche? While there may be some overlap in the target market, it just doesn't seem like it would be significant. I don't see a GT-R having much impact on the (would-be Porsche) consumer - maybe I'm wrong.
When it comes to replacing the C2S - a GT-R is definitely on my short list. I'd prefer one a bit lighter and smaller if possible but a real contender.

The only other contenders are the R8, AMV8 and believe it or not Boxster Spyder.

I don't really care about what badge it may wear - it's a kick *** car IMO.
Old 12-14-2009 | 03:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russo
Performance comparisons between brands is an exercise in pure futility. The people extolling such and such a brand over another have no idea what's so ever that the ultimate variable always overlooked is the talent of the monkey driving the car. The funny thing is some people purchase brand x because some magazine writer bloviated the virtues of that car. Subsequently, some of these drivers show up at track event expecting to blow away every car out there quickly realize their complete ignorance and lack of talent. Most of these driver do not return. A very few do come back only to drop out several events later. My philosophy, purchase the car that rocks your world and then take the time and money and learn to drive it to its fullest.
TOTALLY AGREED! The most gain is the driver's skill... 0.3 of a second could totally go the other way with a different driver.

I actually think GT-R is a GREAT CAR, no question... would I buy one? probably not... is it one of the best bang for the buck cars in terms of performance, you bet!

At the end of the day, it's up to the individual and what's important to him. I just SOOOO INCREDIBLY enjoy the sound of the engine, looks of 911, the interior and fit and finish, the way the car rides, and the feeling I get everytime I see the car parked before getting in! GT-R might be faster for one lap around the track, but I would not trade that for how a 911 feels!
Old 12-14-2009 | 05:22 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevepow
In my own experience, the GT-R does compete for Porsche would be buyers. Porsche has a lot of heritage going for it that my generation grew up with. It's one of the reasons I chose the 911 over it, but I did think long and hard about getting a GT-R. OTOH, when my teenage son is able to afford such a car, he'd lean towards the GT-R given its new gen image and his Playstation childhood.

I actually was in Tokyo in Oct. 2007 to see the world debut of the GT-R. A few months later I was back again with a friend who had one on order. He wanted to see one in person, so we went to the Nissan HQ in Ginza. Ironically, this friend later canceled his GT-R order when he found a lightly used 997 Turbo for about the same price as the marked up GT-R.
Old 12-14-2009 | 06:41 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

I test drove a GT-R last summer in Naples, and the thing is a beast. The roar of the engine is awesome, and it has neck stapping acceleration. I thought I had read somewhere that the GT-R beat a Porsche Turbo's best time at the Nurburgring. I could be wrong. While I would not replace my 997 with the GT-R, I would definitely consider buying one as an additional car.
Old 12-14-2009 | 07:38 PM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by TheMethLab
I don't care how fast a GT-R is. I think it's an ugly car.
Yep, you got that right. Butt ugly.
Old 12-14-2009 | 07:45 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

I've decided - I'm getting the GT-R and Boxster Spyder. I'm going to pass on the 997 Turbo S which I was going to get. I'll keep my 09 997 turbo though.
Old 12-14-2009 | 08:04 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russo
overlooked is the talent of the monkey driving the car.
That's hitting the nail on the head!!

Put Walter Röhrl in those cars and let's see what the results would be.
Old 12-14-2009 | 10:11 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Think there may be some overstatement about driving skills vs. ease of going fast. I heard the same arguments when the ///M division came out with SMG and somewhat hear it on Rennlist regarding the PDK. Heck, I also hear it when people go to extraordinary lengths to defend the rear-engine layout of our 911's.
Old 12-15-2009 | 03:51 AM
Minok
Drifting

For those buyers out there that think its about "we built a car faster than yours"... I guess thats a plus.

To me its totally meaningless.
Old 12-15-2009 | 03:56 AM
boolala
Race Car

I think that the GT-R is one ugly car I would never buy but.......

Mercedes, too, at one time thought they had a lock on prestige, history and brand loyalty until Lexus came along and almost brought them to their knees.
Old 12-15-2009 | 09:33 AM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minok
For those buyers out there that think its about "we built a car faster than yours"... I guess thats a plus.

To me its totally meaningless.
I think it's well documented that it's not only faster, it's more stable, handles better and is indeed more of a track star than anything offered from Porsche, at a fraction of pcar prices! One wants a museum piece to stare at in a garage, go buy a Porsche Turbo. !ant a car that'll thrill ya on the tracks? It seems the logical thing to do is to take down a GT-R... one can take down two for the price of a Turbo, in case one crashes going around turns hotter than hot....
Old 12-15-2009 | 01:24 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
I think it's well documented that it's not only faster, it's more stable, handles better and is indeed more of a track star than anything offered from Porsche, at a fraction of pcar prices! One wants a museum piece to stare at in a garage, go buy a Porsche Turbo. !ant a car that'll thrill ya on the tracks? It seems the logical thing to do is to take down a GT-R... one can take down two for the price of a Turbo, in case one crashes going around turns hotter than hot....
You should post this insight in the 997 turbo forum in order to get a diveristy of opinion on the matter.

Turbo owners are really a very nice, open minded, group of people.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R wins again vs 997.2 Turbo