Sponsored by:

T-Minus- - Slate Grey 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:13 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default T-Minus- - Slate Grey 997

Wanted to start a tread. With a couple of questions.

I'm acquiring a C2 - the price difference to a comparable C2S - isn't reasonable to justify the "S". Just doesn't work out - makes more sense to leap frog the "s" to a GT3... idk? that's my logic.

I'd like to add some cost affective mods for potential DE events as I joined PCA last night.

Exhaust-
I hear the stock cans are pretty satisfactory with the x-51 headers and awe cats. I was also considering a complete system and was going to check and see what my friends at the p-car dealership. Always good to have friends that are porsche techs!

Intake-
? Is Evoms a good upgrade ?

Chip-
GIAC - softtronic - etc... I get lost--- so then I start considering complete packages from FVD..

Anyone have the complete kit from FVD with a chip?

Light Weight Flywheel-

Love to hear inputs - seems to me that is a great way to really give the car better response - driving experience??

I've been doing a bunch of searching, but I'd like to start a tread so ppl could follow my purchase, post pics, etc.

- Electronics-
Dension Ice link and a V1.

Okay back to some more reading...
Old 12-06-2009, 02:24 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

I was unloading the dishwasher and realized how much Porsche is in my everyday life.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I would think that with all that money spent on those mods you could have bought an S!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by German_Saint
I was unloading the dishwasher and realized how much Porsche is in my everyday life.

Is that a Porsche cat in the picture?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
I would think that with all that money spent on those mods you could have bought an S!
+1
I assume the OP is buying a used 997 so the spread in price between the two is even less than new. Why spend $$$ on mods just to get to the level of a "S" (and still not have the brakes).
Old 12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeShark
+1
I assume the OP is buying a used 997 so the spread in price between the two is even less than new. Why spend $$$ on mods just to get to the level of a "S" (and still not have the brakes).
I would tend to agree. If you are buying a C2 and planning to spend to upgrade to make it a better DE car, just buy a C2S. The PASM makes it a much better track car from the get go, better brakes and a little more power.

When I looked for a car it was never going to get to the track because the 968 does just fine for me in PCA club racing. For day in and day out street driving I saw little to justify a C2S over a C2, this assumes you find a C2 with the options you want.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Chris L/FL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to agree with the other comments regarding a C2S...you're talking a far amount of $$ for the upgrades you mentioned. As far as the software upgrade, I would recommend you research the Revo product...I've been very happy with it in my C2S.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

The spread is much more than it was brand new.

This was the first 911 I ever sold. ( I sold p-cars for a little bit.)
The customer then traded it for a S-Cab 1 year later. Put another customer who I had created a friendly relationship with on the car since he was looking for a 911. keeps cars *Mint* - I cut him a bit of a deal just in case and what do you know??? It came back to me Karma. I assume when he said it was cleaner than when I gave it to him he was referring to the inside of the wheels, which where probably filthy still from germany. Today- clean.

It was pretty neat tonight - I was going through the owner's manual and found my business card and my hand writing in the maintenance log.

I just don't think you can find vehicles in the condition that I found and especially for the price - (There wasn't a car in the country even close.) Not even considering the facts I know this vehicles history better than anyone and it has a special story for me personally.

SO - HERE IS MY NEW GIRL _

Slate Grey Metallic
Natural Leather Grey
Bi-Xenon
Sport Seats w/ full leather
Heated Seats
19' Carrera Classics
3- Spoke Str whl Multifunction (only option where I'd prefer a sport wheel.)
Wheel Caps with color crest
Bose
CD Changer

$85,115
+ paint sealant and clear bra.

11,350 miles

Last edited by German_Saint; 12-07-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

At_LAW

- That is a Porsche cat! Or it just decides that when I lay clothes on the bed he decides he needs to be on it.

JW911, JoeShark, Giacomo, Chris -

I completely agree - I had to do some hard number crunching, but what I really wanted was a pristine 911. This car also to me is good karma as some of my best relationships have come from this vehicle. Weird - don't ask - but it was the launching car that sent me to the tops of Porsche Sales.

I absolutely LOVE - the manual seats as I got really tired paying to fix 993 seat cables when I had them in my inventory. Lighter? ha

- THank you all for the replies so far - I hope to get the girlfriend to shoot the car with her equipment when she gets a chance.

Cheers ALL - KEEP EM COMING!

SO ---about the exhaust and light weight flywheel?

Anyone know what a P-car dealer charges to change the flywheel? I'm figuring 5 hrs off the cuff.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:35 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you located in the US or Paris (your name)

I have do maany mods to 997's so I will give you the best advice you can get.

1. Exhaust: If all you car about is sound, then the best bang for buck is the PSE hack. This sounds better than 90% of the aftermarket exhausts and its only costs you about $200.

If power, weight savings, and sound, go for a GMG exhaust ( I prefer the center exit conversion).

2. Suspension: Bilstein PSS10 or JRZ RS (This just depends how far into DE you want to get).

3. Lightweight Flywheel: This is a great mod, but labor can be 10+ hours. Its best to do this mod when your clutch needs to be replaced or when the car is being warrentied for something engine wise and they have the transmission out.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would only do these mods if you will be tracking your car, if not then just enjoy it in its stock form.

After you start tracking you will notice that your Carrera brakes are not the best for the track and might need to be upgraded to Carrera S brakes or better.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:57 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Oh no - it has a check up due in 3 weeks on the info screen. -perfect

I'm going to see what I can put together with my porsche tech friends and get some prices. I sold some aftermarket upgrades for turbos that the dealership installed so it's nice to already have those relationships- (money in their pockets).

Short shift - hmm check.

-I can't wait to do the driving school (honestly) - since I see how many people give this response for improving a vehicle. Although it's not really upgrading the car is it - just the operator. Making the operator more proficient is great, but doesn't get me some more HP, short shift throws, and dumping weight in important areas.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default mod

Rather a unique well modded none S then a stock S anyday.... mod away!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
DLJ
Racer

Wink

Originally Posted by At Law
Is that a Porsche cat in the picture?
Pretty sure it is a later model (no whale tail) LOL
Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Rather a unique well modded none S then a stock S anyday.... mod away!

MICK- Thank YOU SO much! I was hoping that when I put my car up I'd get this response. Ok where do I send the $5 for the great reply?

Porsche Short Shift
Porsche X-51 headers
Awe 200 cats
- Software
---only silly change I'd add--- change the stock c2 tips.

- Intake-
Does it really make a difference? or is it just loud?

I think I understand where everyone merged the C2 and C2S prices as I was just offered a very healthy amount today ($6.5k) more for the vehicle than I paid yesterday. "No."

Last edited by German_Saint; 12-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: T-Minus- - Slate Grey 997