Sponsored by:

PCM 3 - iPhone/iPod interface quirks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts
Default PCM 3 - iPhone/iPod interface quirks

In my 997.2 S I have both Bluetooth and the iPod Audio Interface.

My iPhone works fine with Bluetooth. My iPod or iPhone work fine via the iPod interface (using the new Y-cable which requires both the iPod and USB connectors plugged-in to charge the device).

However, when the iPhone is connected through the iPod connector it ceases to work via bluetooth (going into airport mode) and says so on a warning message. I find that odd, as one can use an iPhone to play music while the phone remains active making/taking phone calls. What is your experience with this? Is this also the case on other makes offering Bluetooth and iPod connectivity?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Tom N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a old 3rd Gen iPod that works perfectly with the cable without the USB tang.

I have a 3G iPhone that works great with the bluetooth interface as a phone. I have not tried to use the iPhone for music having read that there are issues, hence I dusted off the very old iPod for music.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom N
I have a old 3rd Gen iPod that works perfectly with the cable without the USB tang.

I have a 3G iPhone that works great with the bluetooth interface as a phone. I have not tried to use the iPhone for music having read that there are issues, hence I dusted off the very old iPod for music.
My iPod Photo (4th gen) plays fine without the USB plugged-in, but requires the USB plugged-in to charge.

Try your iPhone. I bet it will play music through the iPod interface but it will tell you that phone service will be off. My experience is with an iPhone 3GS - I do not know what happens with previous generations.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Anyone tried his iPhone through the iPod connection?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My iPod Photo plays music AND charges via the single-ended iPod DIN to dock interface cable. My phone, in my pocket, works via the Bluetooth interface. It doesn't answer the OP's question, but does say that iPod Photos do work with just the plain jane single ended cable. I have heard that if you have the double ended cable for the newer iPods, but an older iPod that would work find with just the single ended (IEEE1394 charging) cable, it would not work with the new cable... apparently a cable can only be (or the new 2headed was only manufactured to be) used to charge in one fashion - either via FireWire (IEEE1394) 12v line, OR USB 5v line...but not both.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 PM
CHV
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
...My iPhone works fine with Bluetooth. My iPod or iPhone work fine via the iPod interface (using the new Y-cable which requires both the iPod and USB connectors plugged-in to charge the device)....What is your experience with this? Is this also the case on other makes offering Bluetooth and iPod connectivity?
My 997.2. Hmmm I was very disappointed w/ the ipod interface w/ a brand new car. I dont have a Y cable, just the one that was in the car when I got it 3 weeks ago, that w/ a single plug, plugs into the ipod circular port. It will play music from my iPhone 3G and while plugged in the bluetooth works fine. However, it doesn't charge it. Does your Y connector charge your iPhone? Is this something new'ish I could get from the dealer?

I had to go through every ipod I had in the house to find an older one that would actually charge and work w/ the 997.2 ipod adapter, and then keep the iPhone in my pocket for its bluetooth connectivity.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Minok
My iPod Photo plays music AND charges via the single-ended iPod DIN to dock interface cable. My phone, in my pocket, works via the Bluetooth interface. It doesn't answer the OP's question, but does say that iPod Photos do work with just the plain jane single ended cable. I have heard that if you have the double ended cable for the newer iPods, but an older iPod that would work find with just the single ended (IEEE1394 charging) cable, it would not work with the new cable... apparently a cable can only be (or the new 2headed was only manufactured to be) used to charge in one fashion - either via FireWire (IEEE1394) 12v line, OR USB 5v line...but not both.
Correct. I reported that. My iPod Photo only charges with the new Y-cable if both connectors are plugged in.

I just received feedback from another person who says that the iPhone does indeed work with the iPod port and bluetooth (phone) if one ignores or cancels the warning to go into airport mode. Interesting!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CHV
My 997.2. Hmmm I was very disappointed w/ the ipod interface w/ a brand new car. I dont have a Y cable, just the one that was in the car when I got it 3 weeks ago, that w/ a single plug, plugs into the ipod circular port. It will play music from my iPhone 3G and while plugged in the bluetooth works fine. However, it doesn't charge it. Does your Y connector charge your iPhone? Is this something new'ish I could get from the dealer?

I had to go through every ipod I had in the house to find an older one that would actually charge and work w/ the 997.2 ipod adapter, and then keep the iPhone in my pocket for its bluetooth connectivity.
Yes, you can get the new Y-cable from your dealer or SUNCOAST and with both the iPod and the USB connectors plugged-in it will charge the iPhone.

With either cable the iPhone will throw a blue window warning suggesting to switch to airport mode. Ignore the warning or cancel and it will work fine in both iPode mode and phone connectivity via bluetooth.

I think this answers the issue I raised. Thanks to all and in particular to Howie on 6speedonline who posted the definitive reply.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So that whole airport mode issue seems to be purely an iPhone problem... the iPhone trying to switch modes based on what it thinks is the most common situation... I guess iPhone users cannot reconfigure when that window comes up (if at all).
Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

I got a dedicated iPhone connector from Suncoast and it works seamlessly w/ my iPhone: plays music, charges and I can use the PCM interface to scroll thru various playlists and tracks. The iPod interconnect that came w/ my car only works with my iPod classic, ie when I connected my iPhone, my iPhone wouldnt charge, or freeze or not play music intermittently. So, I suggest you purchase a dedicated iPhone or iPod connector depending on what you are using. -Jay
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
I got a dedicated iPhone connector from Suncoast and it works seamlessly w/ my iPhone: plays music, charges and I can use the PCM interface to scroll thru various playlists and tracks. The iPod interconnect that came w/ my car only works with my iPod classic, ie when I connected my iPhone, my iPhone wouldnt charge, or freeze or not play music intermittently. So, I suggest you purchase a dedicated iPhone or iPod connector depending on what you are using. -Jay
Please read the thread. The iPhone works correctly w/ the new OEM Y-cable in iPod mode and phone if one ignores the airport mode warning.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Please read the thread. The iPhone works correctly w/ the new OEM Y-cable in iPod mode and phone if one ignores the airport mode warning.
Beg your pardon.... trying to multi-task at work and failing miserably. I do get the airport mode warning when I connect in my BMW as well as Lexus. I ignore the warning and the thing works like charm in my 911, lexus and bmw. I hope I now answered the actual question you were asking. -Jay
Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

updated today and no problems anymore.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
Beg your pardon.... trying to multi-task at work and failing miserably. I do get the airport mode warning when I connect in my BMW as well as Lexus. I ignore the warning and the thing works like charm in my 911, lexus and bmw. I hope I now answered the actual question you were asking. -Jay
Thanks Jay! You confirmed the process and in other makes as well. I guess there's something in the Apple software interface to suggest going to 'airport mode' and that should just be ignored.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

There is a software update for the PCM.....email me and I'll go into detail on what you can read off of it now to determine if you need the update. Had it done today, about 20 minutes.

eric@bumperplugs.com

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: PCM 3 - iPhone/iPod interface quirks