Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The product makes sense
Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Group buy in the works!

Just a note to communicate that a Rennlist group buy for Doordefender Magnetic Car Door Protectors is in the works. More details soon. Stay tuned!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to be a jerk, but that's pretty OCD to me
Old 12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
My only concern is that every car has a different height in which the impact point would be. What percentage of cars is this device not going to protect you against?

I don't think this would provide any value for an SUV parking next to you
I hate freakin SUV's.
The only door ding in my new BMW coupe was from the rear door in an SUV. It hit the car about 4 inches below the bottom the side window, and put a crease in the metal.

Nothing can protect you from the rear door of the typical SUV.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred2
I hate freakin SUV's.
The only door ding in my new BMW coupe was from the rear door in an SUV. It hit the car about 4 inches below the bottom the side window, and put a crease in the metal.

Nothing can protect you from the rear door of the typical SUV.
That's exactly my point. Seeing how about 50% of the cars these days are SUV's, I think this product is not only dumb and OCD...but useless. I also agree with Edgy that by having this product on your car you're just calling out people to damage it.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Smile

This thread makes me laugh at myself! I don't want to look obsessive, but . . .

I've been known to cancel a stop at the grocery or the bank when there is no ABSOLUTELY safe space!

Just drive home. Pick up the Honda. Run the errand.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DPorcella

I've been known to cancel a stop at the grocery or the bank when there is no ABSOLUTELY safe space!

I did the same thing this week. Went to the Wachovia Bank closest to my office, couldn't find a decent (safe) place to park, turned around and went back to office. I stopped at a different branch on way home that always has good parking. I hate door dings.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PHDX2
Given a number of recent posts illustrating the desires of Porsche owners to protect their cars, I thought that it was time to share my usage experiences with Doordefender Magnetic Car Door Protectors (see http://www.doordefender.com/).

Doordefenders are most easily described as magnet-backed, rubber bumpers, covered primarily in an all-weather fabric, with felt material covering the magnet side. Two of these bumpers are linked by a plastic-covered metal cable, providing protection for one side of a vehicle. Each Doordefender includes a security tether to aid in theft prevention (I removed these as I am not concerned with theft in the areas where I park my car). Multiple colors are available.

As you can see in the first photograph, Doordefenders provide excellent coverage on the Porsche 911, extending just beyond the length of its doors. I find that twisting the metal cable that connects the two pieces, as illustrated in the second photograph, ensures that the cable keeps its distance from the paint and it also provides a clean look.

The padding of Doordefenders is robust, providing a high degree of protection from typical parking lot impacts. The magnets are powerful, requiring a bit of heft to remove mounted Doordefenders; however, placement is easy. The felt material that covers the magnet side seems to prevent abrasions effectively.

When I’m placing or removing Doordefenders, passersby will often stop to inquire. It seems that many are desirous of better vehicle door protection. From a distance, I’ve had the opportunity to observe those parking next to my Porsche when equipped with Doordefenders and, interestingly, they seem to be more attentive to careful entry and exit from their vehicles.

As I am very selective with where I park my Porsche, I do not have the need to use Doordefenders on a daily basis. Instead, I carry these in the luggage compartment and deploy them when I have no choice other than to park in areas that are not as Porsche-friendly as I would prefer.

As for storage, Doordefenders fit nicely across the bottom of the luggage compartment, as illustrated in the third photograph. If you use a SCHILD liner, as I do, be advised that a similar fit is not possible due to space restrictions. Users of SCHILD liners perhaps will best be served by first placing the Doordefenders across the bottom of the luggage compartment and then placing the liner on top.

I am impressed with the performance of Doordefenders and believe that the product represents a useful solution for cars that are not equipped with body side moldings. I hope this helps my fellow Rennlist members who are looking for ways to better protect their Porsches.
thanks for the help - new porsche owners for older porsche owner...have ordered "defenders" for the cab

Name:  porsch1july2009.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  173.9 KB

Name:  porscheC.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  118.5 KB

for info - this company (british) testing a new product now
http://www.carband.co.uk/
Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see use of such devices getting lots of attention. Most of it good, "That guy likes his car!" Also a small percentage of unmentionable negative attention (possibly damaging) you wouldn't have otherwise.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The best usage I see for these is to protect my car in my garage from my care less girlfreind that parks next to my car.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Rocci
Instructor

Originally Posted by DPorcella

+1
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisk1200
The best usage I see for these is to protect my car in my garage from my care less girlfreind that parks next to my car.
+1. Change girlfriend to wife.....GR
Old 01-08-2010, 02:35 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisk1200
For the two car garage situation I did something like this with a 1 1/2 inch thick piece of stiff styrofoam insulation like they have at Home Depot.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
not to be a jerk, but that's pretty OCD to me
That's okay. You probably can't help it.

Looks like a great product to me. My wife has several diamond rings that each cost considerably less than -- to be fair-- the price difference alone between ordinary cars and our Porsche. Why is it obsessive to take care of the car with reasonable measures that are no more problem than those she uses to protect her rings? Or would it also be 'OCD' to take off her rings when she's doing things that might damage them?

We park in disabled slots whenever one is available and we've still been dinged. To be honest, unless it's an ER trip or something else seriously urgent, we do as others have described. Come back another time or go somewhere a safe parking place is available.

I don't think it's going to increase the resentment of your car. People who resent fine cars feel that way with or without evidence that "you care". Any fool would guess you care, but I don't believe they ever bother to guess. It isn't that you care that pisses them off. It is that they care. They don't have a nice car, why should anybody else?

We've never encountered that attitude in our own town, but we did get keyed once in a place about fifty miles away when we wanted a weekend away for our 45th anniversary. Someone saw Cindy's NSX in a disabled slot and walked around keying every panel, one at a time. (Well, it would be hard to do them simultaneously I suppose, but it was certainly calculated and careful vandalism in the opinion of the deputy who responded.) That is certainly the kind of resentment we're discussing. "How dare they drive a car like that when they're disabled?" After the anger, and a couple of months of professional class negotiating, I finally arranged for the insurance company to give Cindy's car a new paint job using proper techniques for an exotic.

Life goes on. It's just a car either way, but the point is to take care of things that are important to you as long as the effort required doesn't interfere with taking care of the people important to you, who matter much more of course.

Cindy's rings each cost almost a month of our labor, and the price difference to own a Porsche is a couple of months labor at least. Is there some reason those of us who do care should feel guilty being concerned what happens to the fruit of all that labor? Only a jerk would think th... oh, yeah. You said. Sorry.

Gary

Quick Reply: Magnetic Car Door Protectors