997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you grease the Rear Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009 | 09:24 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Default How do you grease the Rear Spoiler?

Talk about deployment of rear spoiler. How do you grease / oil it. Every time I manually raised the spoiler, it's like opening a old casket. It squeak and whined. Do I use WD40 on the rod? or is there an oiling point? Funny though, when traveling high speed, I don't hear the squeak. Maybe it's due to pressure from the speed. But when it retract, it's not as bad but still noticeable. Porsche Genius here, Help! TIA
Old 12-03-2009 | 10:05 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

I remember reading something about noisy spoilers...do a search and you will find it.
abe
Old 12-03-2009 | 10:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Talk about deployment of rear spoiler. How do you grease / oil it. Every time I manually raised the spoiler, it's like opening a old casket. It squeak and whined. Do I use WD40 on the rod? or is there an oiling point? Funny though, when traveling high speed, I don't hear the squeak. Maybe it's due to pressure from the speed. But when it retract, it's not as bad but still noticeable. Porsche Genius here, Help! TIA
AFAIK the spoiler deployment hardware has no lubrication requirements. I would not spray WD-40 on anything there.

Have someone raise/lower the spoiler -- watch your fingers and hands! -- see how the unit goes up and down. It may just be worn and a bit noisy or something might be interfering with its action. Or it might be worn out and really noisy.

I can't hear either of my Porsche's spoilers go up or down at any speed, even if I raise/lower the spoilers manually. With engine off and both windows down and me working the spoiler switch inside the cabin I can barely hear the spoiler go up and down. Does not sound at all harsh or troubled or labored.

The Boxster's got 226K miles on it so you know the spoiler has been up and down, alot. FWIW.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-03-2009 | 10:55 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Mine also squeals going up when the car's stationary, although it's not noisy when going down. I don't recall my 996 ever being noisy.
Old 12-04-2009 | 12:08 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

I posted this before somewhere. When mine squeaked it was due to a slight mis-alignment. I could tell b/c when down the gaps between the spoiler and lid (on each side) were uneven (one side also sat slightly higher than the other). The tech guys at my dealer re-seated the spoiler and it stopped making any noise (they may have sprayed some silicon on the contact points too but I don't recall).
Old 12-04-2009 | 02:24 AM
1100S
Rennlist Member

when my '05 did that I fiddled with it quite a bit until I found that a few drops of your favourite lube in the drain holes about midway along the bottom of the "banana" plastic tubes did the trick!

Quick Reply: How do you grease the Rear Spoiler?