Sponsored by:

Put the Snow Shoes on the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Put the Snow Shoes on the car

Although the weather has been pretty darn good for Taxachusetts (going to be 55 today), I decided to swap out the wheels and put the snow set up on.

This will be my 4th winter on this set of Conti TS810S on my pseudo-turbo twist 18s. As posted before, I run a 32mm spacer in the rear as the tires are only 265.

Last year in my C4S, I hit a pothole at about 70 mph and thought for sure I blew out a front tire. The tire retained air (including throughout the warm season) which I found amazing considering the dent in the rim (see pics). To be safe, I bought another front rim from Damon at Tire Rack and swapped over the tire. My old car did not have TPMS and I decided not to buy sensors for the snow tires. I'll just live with the warning lights this winter or take it in and have the PIWIS deactivate the system.

So,....let it snow baby!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great colour! Glad to see it's an all year car. None of this winter storage pansie stuff.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:24 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put mine on today as well. Good chance to clean up the calipers, wash the summer wheels and put them to bed for the winter. Weather here similar to MA today, but the forecast doesn't have a high temp much above 40 for the next week; likely below 40 for my drive times. So its time to put the snow shoes on.

I went with knock-off Carrera 5-spokes from WheelEnhancements with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires and TPMS. This will be their third winter which means they will be approaching 20k miles - pretty amazing for a winter tire and I never get anywhere near that on a summer set. I also damaged a rim last winter (slid into a curb) but I was able to have it straightened and painted as the damage was minor. Good excuse for an alignment too.

Washed the winter floor mats and will put them in as soon as they're fully dried; shampooed the summer mats before storing as well.

While its great to get all this done, when it comes to cars winter sucks!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Coochas, you have one of the only cars that actually demands that you avoid the clear side markers and retain the OE orange ones. Good choice!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Happy birthday, Dave! A smart move, not putting in the TPMS sensors for the winter use. You'd really not get your money out of them, and their age clock will always be ticking away.

We're the same age--but you have something WAY over me! lol

Where can I get matching BLUE side lights?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Great colour! Glad to see it's an all year car. None of this winter storage pansie stuff.
Thanks. I like driving it year round and since I have no plans to move some place without winters, this is the way it will always be!
Originally Posted by p-cardriver
Put mine on today as well. Good chance to clean up the calipers, wash the summer wheels and put them to bed for the winter. Weather here similar to MA today, but the forecast doesn't have a high temp much above 40 for the next week; likely below 40 for my drive times. So its time to put the snow shoes on.

I went with knock-off Carrera 5-spokes from WheelEnhancements with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires and TPMS. This will be their third winter which means they will be approaching 20k miles - pretty amazing for a winter tire and I never get anywhere near that on a summer set. I also damaged a rim last winter (slid into a curb) but I was able to have it straightened and painted as the damage was minor. Good excuse for an alignment too.

Washed the winter floor mats and will put them in as soon as they're fully dried; shampooed the summer mats before storing as well.

While its great to get all this done, when it comes to cars winter sucks!
Wow,....you're way more diligent than I am!
Weather here looks like we'll be down in the 40s and 30s soon enough. I even just ordered my first snow blower!
Originally Posted by JW911
Coochas, you have one of the only cars that actually demands that you avoid the clear side markers and retain the OE orange ones. Good choice!
I agree. Speed Yellow and that Macademia Brown work with the pumpkin lights too.
Originally Posted by Edgy01
Happy birthday, Dave! A smart move, not putting in the TPMS sensors for the winter use. You'd really not get your money out of them, and their age clock will always be ticking away.

We're the same age--but you have something WAY over me! lol

Where can I get matching BLUE side lights?
Blue lights just might get you called a boy racer Dan!
I hear ya about the age clock ticking away. Uggggggh.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Weird Dave, I just put mine on today too. I'll take some pics and post.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Dave
I thought about putting snow tires on my car....

By the way, nice color
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the weekend when I too swap out my summer tires for winters and put the hardtop on.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

A year old and your Turbo, well driven as it is, still looks like it just came out of the dealer. Listening to you makes me want to drive my car "to come" in the winter regardless of weather. I tip my hat to you. Not many here on this board drive their 911's, especially their Turbo's, in the winter. Drive safe my friend.

Jay
Old 11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mass sucks, I hit one of those drainage holes that stick out into the fast lane on 95 Saturday, the cover was off. Massachusetts needs to take responsibility for taxes us to destroy our cars.

As for the tires, considering how little is snows in Mass, why not go with Potenza RE960AS Pole Position or a similar M+S rated All Season for light snow, and get far increased performance over a dedicated snow tire? If it's snowing that bad, the ground clearance is going to keep you off the road anyway.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Talk about Thanksgiving. I'm so glad I'm out of Massachusetts at this time of year, screwing with snow tires. I think the roads in Mass are some of the worst in the country. Speed? You don't dare with those roads.

Quick Reply: Put the Snow Shoes on the car