Sponsored by:

New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:15 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts
Default New Wheels

I have an opportunity to buy a sick set of wheels. Brand new Pirelli Zero Nero rubber, 305s in the back and these 20" wheels are custom made w/ cnc technology, by my friend that ownes a prominent speed shop in nyc. Here are a couple of pics! He will sell them to me for $4k since I am an old friend. They only have about 1k miles on them, mint condition and rubber is brand new. Seems too good of a deal to pass up! What do you guys think of them, i think they will look sick and the deal is sicker. The rubber alone is an easy $2k just to buy.
Attached Images   
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice set of wheels. With the short sidewalls on those tires I'd be concerned about bending a rim or two on the roads especially here in the Chicago area where potholes are quite prevalent.

Seems like a great deals given the cost of comparable wheels and rubber, too.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
Nice set of wheels. With the short sidewalls on those tires I'd be concerned about bending a rim or two on the roads especially here in the Chicago area where potholes are quite prevalent.

Seems like a great deals given the cost of comparable wheels and rubber, too.
You undersand that 20"'s are performance killers? Increased rotating mass? More unsprung weight (the worst kind)? Rough ride? Greatly increased susceptability to damage from road hazards?

How much do they weigh???? Custom made? Ugh...you are way braver than me.

If you really only care about looks, then go for it. If you care at all about vehical dynamics and dependability (and some people don't), then the decision is a no brainer.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I know lots like the pouser bling of 20" wheels but that short side wall of rubber will not help in cornering, the wheels are very heavy and you will feel slower off the line and the heavier rotating mass will mess with the shock tuning in the corners and bumpy roads.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it. You WILL regret it.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:24 PM
TheMethLab
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I know lots like the pouser bling of 20" wheels but that short side wall of rubber will not help in cornering, the wheels are very heavy and you will feel slower off the line and the heavier rotating mass will mess with the shock tuning in the corners and bumpy roads.
Yea I don't know what Porsche was thinking putting that "pouser bling" on the Carerra GT.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:31 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you decide to stroke a check for $4gs.....you might want to find out what the offsets are.

Can't tell from the pics but they look odd....are they two piece ??
Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, not a good match for a Porsche. 20" wheels?!? Bone jarring ride, more prone to damage, overal heavier. And $4k is a lot more than I'm seeing great wheel / tire sets go for here at the forums.

I guess if you are determined for some reason to go with 20s, make sure you upgrade your rotors so they don't look tiny. As is, the rotors on our 997s look small behind the 19" OEM wheels I have, look perfect behind the "best performing" 18" wheel size I use at the track.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:38 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

A 997S is not a Carrera GT - that is not a valid comparison nor comment. The dynamics of those two cars are radically different. More unsprung mass and greater diameter than the proper factory specification does not equal better performance. The GT NEEDS those larger wheels.

I bet there is a reason they are for sale after only 1k miles. Especially in NYC.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a pass on this one. I wouldn't put 20's on my car. The offsets do look very strange. Your "friend" may be trying to pawn some custom junk off to you.

Phil
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM
TheMethLab
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=BillJ;7097457]A 997S is not a Carrera GT - that is not a valid comparison nor comment.

"pouser bling" Wasn't a valid comment. Mine very much was.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:47 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Not really - a 20" wheel has no use on the 997 except to degrade performance for the sake of looks. Defeats the purpose of the car. Go to the track and you will see No 997s running 20" wheels.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 PM
TheMethLab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillJ
Not really - a 20" wheel has no use on the 997 except to degrade performance for the sake of looks. Defeats the purpose of the car. Go to the track and you will see No 997s running 20" wheels.
I've spent quite a bit of time on the track. You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm very aware of the performance decrease of a 20" rim on a 997. You're missing the point. Which seems to be the trend here. Calling 20" wheels "pouser bling" was stupid and not constructive. If the guy wants 20" rims then that's his business. RonCT gave the guy a good answer so he can weigh the pros and cons. Making him feel badly about wanting a certain look for his car is a stupid thing to do.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Ok i will buy that arguement - point taken that the comment someone else made about it being "pouser" was stupid and understand where you were headed. :-)
Old 11-25-2009, 01:35 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get why its stupid, to opine that the 20" wheel is more about being a poseur. It's a valid opinion that shouldn't, in my opinion, be attacked. A great deal of people replace OEM wheels for oversized ones for what purpose? Performance? Most of us know that if anything it detracts from it. Thus, to opine that the reason is for esthetics is a valid point. Most beginner enthusiast's get caught up in the poseur mode until they take the time and initiative to inform themselves.

Quick Reply: New Wheels