Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Radar Install - needs some referances/help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009 | 09:11 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Default DIY Radar Install - needs some referances/help

When I was younger, I worked installing radios and alarms in cars - so I am very familiar with the technical aspects of doing this.

I am looking for links or referances to any sites or anyones person experience regarding the 997 in particular:

- the best routes to bring wires from the grill/bumper areas into the interior
- how best to bring a wire from the rear roof area to the interior

I am installing a hidden hardwire unit into my car.

It has front/rear mounted radar/laser with GPS
Old 11-25-2009 | 01:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You can look at this, but it's mostly just when I installed my Valentine 1: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tallation.html

You can also look at the workshop manuals for the 997, to try to gain some insight. Unfortunately, most of the line drawings used do not show wire routing.
Old 11-25-2009 | 03:13 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

The only thing I needs is a referance for things like:

- trim removal
- location of grometts
Old 11-25-2009 | 04:00 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just watched the K40 install on my Cab....and it was a monster job done by two very experienced professionals. All of 3+ hours to do it right.

Some things are best left to professionals (in my case), but if you are going to do this, just be very careful how you pull wires.

The fronts can be pulled through the firewall and into the footwell pretty easily.

The rears, on the other hand, are more difficult and may require one or two tiny drill holes. Depends on what you are installing, gauge of wire, and coupe or cab.

Good luck with it. Just be sure everything is watertight and right before you button it up, or get a local pro to go over some of it with you before you start, just to know where everything is, how it comes out, etc.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-27-2009 | 03:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

For trim removal the best piece of advice that I can give you is this: These cars are assembled in 55 minutes. As such, they are designed to be put together quickly. They come apart NEARLY as quickly. the key here is that they are DESIGNED to be worked upon. Just keep that in mind as you start to work on things. I suggest that you document things with photos as you go. (It helps to reassemble things if you remember what it looked like BEFORE you took something off!)

Good luck!

Quick Reply: DIY Radar Install - needs some referances/help