Sponsored by:

Color Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:16 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color Discoloration

Was washing the car over the weekend and noticed the difference of the color between the rear spoiler and the body panels. Is it due to two different materials aging under the sun or due to the heat from the engine? My p-car color is cobalt blue. Does it only happened to metalic color only or it happen to all car? Think warranty will fix it? It's a blemish that bother me now.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Pics?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 133 Posts

All these parts are painted separately by the source suppliers. Thus, there will be some differences. I would strongly suggest that you live with it. Any repaint will be screwed up, and give you nothing but more trouble down the road.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed on the slats over the engine some paint discoloration, i'm just living with it.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
ruf911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look closely at all the different parts of the body panels whether it be galvanized steel, aluminum, PU, fiber-glass, or plastic composite. There would be a slight color variation between them all during different intensities of light, cloudy dull weather versus sunny bright weather. The actual color when applied on all these parts are the same color, except that certain materials require a different amount of flex agent resulting in the color aberration. Look around at any car, compare the color on the PU bumper shells versus the steel body, and the color shade is always different with the lighter colors being the worse. I found that MB and BMW cars are best at bumper/body shell color match, whereas the Porsche arctic silver metallic being the worst match. The Porsche warranty stipulates no guarantee of paint matching, page 33 of warranty book "This Warranty Does Not Cover: Paint Matching. (Porsche Cars N.A. reserves the sole right to decide whether painting the repaired or replaced panel to match the original finish is practicable. Porsche Cars N.A. will not, under any circumstances, pay for painting the entire car solely for paint color matching.) I had noticed this miss-color matching phenomenon for many years, and it still bugs me when I look at my Porsche!

Quick Reply: Color Discoloration