Sponsored by:

X51 Headers redux...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks Dave. I am seriously thinking of just doing X51 headers and PSE, to see how it does. I might do a dyno before/after to see...

Intake cost is quite high and as far as I know it's not plug and play and you need to do some modifications to fit it (can't remember what exactly it was). Wish it was, as I would have done it for sure.
The intake is pretty much plug and play other than the fact you need to cut a hole in the deck lid for the added snorkel. The intake manifolds are a direct fit and no modification is necessary.

Dave
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
It's the best exauhst I've seen, the sound is sweet. I also don't believe it doesn't add ANY HP, whatever it adds would be fairly small nonetheless. I might do 200 CAL, but not sure if I'd then pass emissions, and I like to keep things as OEM as possible as I am CPO and don't wanna give PCNA any excuse!
What ever you do you can always just return it to stock. I love my Borla with the 200cpi cats. Loud and proud!!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
It depends on how you have emissions test done in your area - sport 200 cell cats do work normally when they get hot, so if car is not left to completely cool down at test station you should be OK with emissions.

Common knowledge says best aggressive sounding mufflers out there are Borlas. To me they all sound pretty much alike and Fabspeed is no worse than AWE or Borlas. It is all hype, well, mostly.

Do not overrate role of exhaust mods BTW - I just got my water pump replaced on warranty, I have fabspeed x-pipe cats plus whole caboozle of other stuff and no one really cares about this at dealership.

There was only one documented case on forums where cats did lead to engine destruction - but it happened because it was a prototype version on a supercharged car where catalyst element got melted and sucked in back into engine. No one of major cats brands will do such a trick so it is all quite safe and dealers know that.
Just go with major brands - AWE, Fabspeed, FVD, what else big is out there.

Plus what I was saying before - warranty issues may be originated mostly by aftermarket headers, as most important exhaust parameter for any engine is a diameter on receiving pipe in headers as it controls pressure at engine exit and then less but still important thing is cats as it also affects pressure before catalyst.
Mufflers (which PSE is) is pretty much an irrelevant element and essentially it is just a dead weight we carry to preserve our ears , so, if you want to invest - I would look at lightest one.
Sound wise all aftermarket ones are quite loud, so, put 200 cell cats and headers first and then run car with stock mufflers, then take `em off and run car again. With sport mufflers that roar will be reduced appx 2-3 times and will be 5-6 times louder than with stock mufflers. Then decide what is it you really want.
I actually don't like loud at all, cop magnet.

Porsche PSE is the best sounding, while not loud exhaust I've ever heard BY A MILE! The fact that I can turn the noise down is a HUGE PLUS too since I live in an urban busy place.

I agree 200 Cals may or may not affect warranty, but since I didn't buy my car from my local dealer (only Porsche dealer around), and don't have a long standing relationship just don't wanna give em any excuse. Using OEM is always safer no matter what. In 3 years, I can GO CRAZY, if I still have the car!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

so what's changed in 4 years...nuttin honey...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM
masitr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried searching but no dice. Has anyone done a dyno comparison of different headers?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

After re-reading this thread and looking at the pictures posted of the various Porsche headers it appears the pictures of the C2 and C2s are both from 997.1 vehicles. My '09 C2S (997.2) has equal tube pipes going to a common collector. The issue however is that because of space the equal tube head pipes are bent in a pretzel style and thus have what I might refer to as "kinks" in the bends which would cause turbulence in the exhaust airflow. It appears this was necessary to fit with the cats and primary mufflers which are different from the 997.1 system. Does anyone have a picture of the X51 headers for the 997.2 C2S engine?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 AM
porka
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing to note with awe tuning headers are that they do sit significantly lower to the ground due to the equal length that they are designed too.

the drivers side header can scrape the ground when taking steep entrances unless you go in sideways, which i always do

with that said the x51 are probably more practical. my headers made a big difference .. they added the deep tone back that i didn't have with 200 cells with stock headers.

as soon as i get my car back from the shop ill do some sound clips.

Quick Reply: X51 Headers redux...