Sponsored by:

UPDATED no fix possible: Drove over a beer bottle

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:15 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default UPDATED no fix possible: Drove over a beer bottle

Some POS left a beer bottle right in my parking space where I had lunch today, I drove right over it. I figure the tires will be fine?

UPDATE:
Checked the tires this morning & one did have a shard of glass in it, too bad it couldn't have been in the tread. I removed the glass with tweezers, but there appears to be a little still in there.
Please take a look at the photos and advise, should I leave it alone, or is there anything that can be done considering it's not leaking?

UPDATE:
Tire is marked, all remaining glass has been removed, & wheel is in my truck ready for a trip to Sullivan Tire tomorrow.
I wanted to add that the Porsche Wheel Mounting Guide Bolt I got form Suncoast Porsche continues to come in really handy, especially with my 15MM H&R spacers, which do not bolt in like the OEM 5MM.

UPDATE:
Took the tire to 2 tire shops and both say there's nothing that can be done, the tire is not losing air, and the cut has only severed a couple fibers, a patch would only compromise the tires performance. So, I guess I have to just live with it.
Attached Images    

Last edited by todd.; 11-23-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:42 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about this.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Someone wedged a bottle against the tread of my front tire while I was shopping and when I pulled out of the parking lot, the tire crushed the bottle. I'm very selective with where I park and I know that the parking area was bottle-free when I arrived. Definitely vandalism!

This occurred late at night, preventing me from getting a good look at the tire, but all was fine on my way home. However, by the next morning, the tire was flat. No chance of repair either as the tire was cut in multiple places. The tire technician indicated that bottles that are crushed by tires sometimes will and sometimes won't cause flats, noting that it all depends on how the tire impacted the bottle.

Keep an eye on this as it could be very dangerous. Perhaps have a tire technician check over the tire just to be safe. I hope that all is well.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:58 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PHDX2
Sorry to hear about this.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Someone wedged a bottle against the tread of my front tire while I was shopping and when I pulled out of the parking lot, the tire crushed the bottle. I'm very selective with where I park and I know that the parking area was bottle-free when I arrived. Definitely vandalism!

This occurred late at night, preventing me from getting a good look at the tire, but all was fine on my way home. However, by the next morning, the tire was flat. No chance of repair either as the tire was cut in multiple places. The tire technician indicated that bottles that are crushed by tires sometimes will and sometimes won't cause flats, noting that it all depends on how the tire impacted the bottle.

Keep an eye on this as it could be very dangerous. Perhaps have a tire technician check over the tire just to be safe. I hope that all is well.
That was your P-Car? Sorry about that.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Originally Posted by At Law
That was your P-Car?
Fortunately not---happened back in my American muscle car days. Still bad!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Watch your back, especially these days.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

TPMS comes in very handy after such an incident, being able to constantly monitor pressure, a really nice feature. I think all it fine with the tires, but it's a reminder that some resent us P-car owners. On a happier note, I got 2 "nice ride" comments later on.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Esp. after a bottle, it's worth checking your tires to see if you can dig any fragments out. Driving with them can force them in further, causing a flat later.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to start looking under my Porsche.

You know depending on where you were it's possible the bottle incident was caught on CCTV...
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need a perimeter alarm system!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Some POS left a beer bottle right in my parking space where I had lunch today, I drove right over it. I figure the tires will be fine?

Todd if i'm not mistaken, aren't you heavily armed? Shame you didn't catch the guy
Old 11-21-2009, 11:48 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Para82
Todd if i'm not mistaken, aren't you heavily armed? Shame you didn't catch the guy
Yes, I had my Seecamp, but such a cowardly act would not warrant using deadly force, a good hard meaningful beating... definitely.
This is the problem with carrying a gun, you can't really get into a fight with someone, it's all or nothing, and only if I was in imminent danger could I really justify pulling it out. I cannot risk how a fight could turn out, and the possibility of my gun being taken from my pocket or holster and being used against me or someone else. Who knows the scumbag could have 3 friends nearby.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
Some POS left a beer bottle right in my parking space where I had lunch today, I drove right over it.
Good grief. Somebody did this in broad daylight???
Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hate to hi jack this thread, but where do you buy the ammo for the seecamp?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Hate to hi jack this thread, but where do you buy the ammo for the seecamp?
M & M Plimoth Bay Outfitters
The Seecamp is finicky, not all ammo will cycle through.
I use Federal Premium Personal Defense 32 Auto 65 Grain Hydra-Shock JHP
Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me in the Benz 2 days ago as I was parking on the street near a bar. I monitored the tire pressure on the way home and so far no leak. Haven't really inspected the tire yet.

Quick Reply: UPDATED no fix possible: Drove over a beer bottle