Sponsored by:

The 997 forum.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:07 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
I'd say the M5board and the bimmerfest 550 forums were some of the best. Some of those guys also had Porsches and I don't really recall so much aggression nor overflows of testosterone on those boards - it would probably not be tolerated - and I'm not talking about admin coming to the rescue - it was just not the way there. So while I may have realized it is idealistic to expect that in general, I don't think it is always the case in "automotive forums" nor do I think the social dynamic is necessarily different in car forums than other types.

Maybe it follows the car: the e39 was a laid back sleeper; no show and all go - a different kind of "average" owner.
Very interesting.

You've mentioned a lot of good points throughout this thread.

Good posting.

Phil
Old 11-20-2009, 02:25 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve great post. When I went back through it I saw some places that I could have pulled the throttle back. BUT I saw that PARA82 was taking it the right way and the little digs he was getting back at me were in the right tone to continue, THAT was just when the other guy jumped in and it just made for bad timing. Para and me were rubbing it into each other but no the one hell raiser. We were upping the anny in our little satirical jokes with each other not intending to be mean but with tongue in cheek.
The thing that bothers me is, I can go to another forum and people are just ripping the 911 a new Ahole, up one way and down the other the GTR forum being a good example, justTRASHING the 911. OR a Z06 forum, and when we are going over a satire here we are accused of being arrogant. Just blows me away! I dont go into their forums and talk trash but I should be able to come into my own home forum and do some satire on a over the top Ford commercial.
It just so happened Me and Para were ramping up our fun ALL marked up with HUMOR MODE ON disclaimers and he came in ripping me for real. Like the point about Lambo and Ferrari owners think we stink, well when I was looking 08 GT3 RS I could have instead got a 430 or Gallardo, but to me they werent value driven as the GT3RS was. So its knot like "OH you can even breathe their air" I guess that was his way of trying to put me down but it was far from the truth. And at the same time
Para and I were having fun on our satire.
THe M5 forums bring in more money and you have fewer kids with m3 s in there so that like our GT3 forums or turbo forums. Maturity plays a hand in there
Stevepow Great post and rebuttle and I am glad you saw where I was coming from. Most who read the whole thing DID get it! thanks you guys!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just can't let it go can you? I've purposefully stayed out of this topic because I said what I had to say in the thead itself.

YOU were the instigator of the name calling with me. I know somebody else called you an ******* before you fired back with an insult to that person. I made the comment about "being modest" and it got your nose out of joint from the get go. Then you tell me that Porsches are better than Ferrari's and Lambos. If that's your opinon, then fine. I'm telling you there are many many many others that don't share your opinion and if you don't think that SOME F/L owner's think about their cars vs. Porsche the same way YOU think about Porsche vs Ford then you're living in a fantasy world.

Could I have backed off? Sure. I didn't because you then started in with PERSONAL insults to me (Ameritrash, comprehension skills, etc). The big kicker was post #44 (you actually called me a ****ing moron). Go back and read it. At that point it was GAME ON for me. On top of this you make generalizations (mullets, trailer parks, Walmart, etc.) for those that drag raced their cars. All of this stuff that you spewed out just made my case that much stronger ---the case that you are an elitist snob. And don't give me this "humor mode" BS about those comments being said in jest. They weren't and you know it.

Low and behold I come across your most recent post here and you continue to mention MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. I hate to break it to you but those guys driving "those lowly" Z06's, ZR1's, GTR's, M5's, etc. are doing quite well financially and could own a Porsche 911 if they wanted to.

Yes, I do agree the majority of the other forums are littered with kids that have no respect. But, in all honesty, you (as did I) displayed the same thing here.

Ok - your thread about the Ford SHO was your attempt at satire. My question is, why do you care? They didn't say that car was better than your Porsche. The whole thing came off as elitist to me, satire or not. Your comments that followed didn't help your case.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

This is nothing you should go be a mod on any Stock market board or worse an options board. I have never seen so many people who just outright lie about what they trade and claim they make. Its pretty funny from my persepctive since I can look at time and sales and see they didnt make the trades they claim and since my background is as a derivatives expert I can see the massive flaws in their claims. This place is tame as a puppy.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

At that point it was GAME ON for me.
That's good entertainment right there.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:39 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by amerlemans
You just can't let it go can you? I've purposefully stayed out of this topic because I said what I had to say in the thead itself.

Yes, you've been showing restraint and we appreciate that.

Oldguy, please don't go into the "read the entire post" rant again. We've heard it.

Time to move on.

Can I make a suggestion? This applies to all. We have a great tool available to us here to help clarify the intent of our posts,, these Emoticon dudes. Let me share a quick story of personal experience. I was visiting the 928 forum and it got to the point that one RL'er decided to start the name calling game, at me. I thought he was being rather ridiculous and didn't want to start a little pissing match that would make us both look bad. So, this was my response; "". His response to that was " Yeah that was rather harsh, sorry", and it was over, that quick. Of course YMMV. My point is it's always best to make a de-flammatory response, as opposed to an inflammatory response.

Phil
Old 11-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Trader - I resonate with your post. I seem to be one of those fools who always pays more for his cars that the other guys - who gets worse gas mileage and slower track times. Or maybe the other guys are fibbing
Old 11-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Trader - I resonate with your post. I seem to be one of those fools who always pays more for his cars that the other guys - who gets worse gas mileage and slower track times. Or maybe the other guys are fibbing
Bob the thing that always confuses me on those boards is how there are more Ferrari owners there than the total number of Ferrari's ever produced. I may have to rethink this whole internet web board thing since you introduced the concept that some people might be fibbing on a web board.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Phil
I moved on a while ago. I do appreciate your guidance tho and pointing out that we have emoticons
I didnt rebring this up--- this thread did

I appreciate all the PMs who said they read it and appreciated my post for what it was, humor.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:33 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Phil
I moved on a while ago. I do appreciate your guidance tho and pointing out that we have emoticons
I didnt rebring this up--- this thread did

I appreciate all the PMs who said they read it and appreciated my post for what it was, humor.

Cool !!

Phil
Old 11-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

You left out the whole ***** size thing....I'm not braggin' or anything.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:13 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dave - we all know that photo is doctored. why you made that thing smaller is a testament to your modesty.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not just on web forums--it's everywhere.

I have never talked to so many people who have friends,
or are themselves, multi multi millionaires. I'm always
in the wrong line of work.

Quick Reply: The 997 forum.....