Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can tuners program PDK shift patterns?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can tuners program PDK shift patterns?

We know tuners can modify engine settings, but can you guys/they also modify shift parameters.

Specifically, what I would like to see in a PDK is the following DOWNShift

- Pull and HOLD the left paddle ='s disengage current gear, stay in neutral
- Driver controls throttle blip and rev matching
- RELEASE left paddle ='s engage next gear

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Lomotpk
Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Quite honestly after driving the PDK system for over 10 month including four days a the Porsche school I like the system the way it is. That said, for the Cayman I have ordered to autocross and DE I have added sport Chrono to "adjust" the shift program. I also like the fact that holding the downshift lever the tranny will cycle through the gears down to the best gear for the speed.The same will happen if the shift lever is held aft in the manual mode. I also like the fact the paddles ( ok switches for the purist) are replicated on both sides of the steering wheel.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Lomotpk
We know tuners can modify engine settings, but can you guys/they also modify shift parameters.

Specifically, what I would like to see in a PDK is the following DOWNShift

- Pull and HOLD the left paddle ='s disengage current gear, stay in neutral
- Driver controls throttle blip and rev matching
- RELEASE left paddle ='s engage next gear

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Lomotpk

Thoughts? Does Rube Goldberg come to mind?

No thanks. It's going to be tough to beat Weissach.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Quite honestly after driving the PDK system for over 10 month including four days a the Porsche school I like the system the way it is. That said, for the Cayman I have ordered to autocross and DE I have added sport Chrono to "adjust" the shift program. I also like the fact that holding the downshift lever the tranny will cycle through the gears down to the best gear for the speed.The same will happen if the shift lever is held aft in the manual mode. I also like the fact the paddles ( ok switches for the purist) are replicated on both sides of the steering wheel.

You are one of the few who clearly understand PDK. The secret seems to be safe with us.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
and let's not divulge the 110% application "trick", to be learned only at PSDS!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Default For Fun, not Speed

I always find it interesting when asking questions on boards like this.

The ethos as expressed to newbies is "we're a big warm family, there are no dumb questions, etc"

Yet, rarely, does anyone answer the questions I ask - the first time.

They blab on about why you shouldn't be asking it.

My question was simple: Can tuners program PDK shift patterns?

The reason I ask is also simple: fun, not speed.

I would like a 'fun mode' in which I have to heel-toe to execute a good downshift.

This would be for street driving and tooling around.

This is like taking off PSC to chirp around corners in town. ("But why would you want to turn it off? It's faster around the track with with on! You're a noob. Porsche Engineering is always right. etc")

You know, fun.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
I think you missed the fun part!

Tuners can do anything, and claim even more!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know if a tuner could do that. Call a few of them and let us know their answers.

BTW, a manual transmission will allow you to do exactly what you describe. Just yanking your chain a little.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Lomotpk
Instructor

I appreciate the chain yank.

My question is a simply because the days of the 6 speed are numbered.

So I've been thinking critically about what - specifically - makes a six speed fun. For the purpose of trying to figure out if we could engineer some of the fun back into the PDK's
Old 11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Lomotpk, I totally understand what you are talking about when people never seem to answer the question. However I would say that no one on this forum could honestly answer your question. Your question would have to be answered by a tuner. I can say that as a PDK owner that I have not heard of any PDK re-programming yet. I know nothing ever came out for the old Tiptronic either.

When you say you want a fun mode to heel and toe with....I do not understand how you would do that or ever need to do that on any single (ie Ferrari F1) or dual clutch Porsche PDK) transmission...there is only the brake and throttle as the car clutches for you even in manual mode.

The only thing about PDK I wish for is that in normal mode it would hold the gears a little longer. The engine seems to bog as PDK tried to shift to a higher gear by keeping the RPM's at or below 2000rpm.

Other than that I have almost 10,000 mile on my 09 Carrera S with PDK. I also probably more track miles/days than anyone here with PDK. So far as of tonight I just completed my 20th track day with PDK. I normally put it in manual mode with Sport Chrono Plus on. However this last event I played around with auto mode and PDK will shift itself pretty much where you would want it to shift...truely amazing.

Last edited by mdrums; 11-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:34 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

drive the pdk first, it thinks ahead. and rev matches downshifts.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Super7
5th Gear

I would love to have way to re-program the PDK. I have driven the new 911 PDK on the track and in the Sports + mode it is absolutely perfect for that application. The non sport mode is perfect for my wife on the street. But...what I want is a mode that is in between Sport and Sport + for diving on the street. For the street sport + takes the RPM up too high and the Sport shifts to early for me. I just put it in Sport + and shift manually but I would love to have intermediate automatic options.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Super7
I would love to have way to re-program the PDK. I have driven the new 911 PDK on the track and in the Sports + mode it is absolutely perfect for that application. The non sport mode is perfect for my wife on the street. But...what I want is a mode that is in between Sport and Sport + for diving on the street. For the street sport + takes the RPM up too high and the Sport shifts to early for me. I just put it in Sport + and shift manually but I would love to have intermediate automatic options.
+1
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 AM
Happy911S
Instructor

I don't think that any tuner has the knowledge to change the shift of the PDK. Certainly, not programming of things like modification of how it works like going to neutral if a paddle is held. I suspect this would have to be done by Porsche. Even if a tuner could do it, I don't think it would be worth his time and effort because everyone would want something different.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Happy911S
I don't think that any tuner has the knowledge to change the shift of the PDK. Certainly, not programming of things like modification of how it works like going to neutral if a paddle is held. I suspect this would have to be done by Porsche. Even if a tuner could do it, I don't think it would be worth his time and effort because everyone would want something different.
I agree. And even for the super-remote chance there would be a Tuner who can do that (and honestly Ruf would be the only which would come to mind), your warranty would be defunct at this point.

Quick Reply: Can tuners program PDK shift patterns?