Sponsored by:

Bar Keepers Friend and exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 AM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bar Keepers Friend and exhaust tips

I saw the post on cleaning chrome PSE tips and thought I would mention this.

I just put my car away for the winter. It has a Tubi exhaust and what I assume are the standard stainless exhaust tips. Despite cleaning the tips regularly with a variety of expensive polishes, they had turned completely black.

I tried using Bar Keepers Friend (no affiliation - my wife buys it at Williams Sonoma but I think a number of kitchen and hardware stores now carry it). We normally use it on our pots and stainless stove top as it easliy takes off any baked on crap. The result was phenomenal - with minimal effort, it returned the exhaust tips to new condition. I would highly recommend it.

Hope that helps someone out there.

David
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Just a note of caution for chrome plating: BF is quite effective, however, it does have a pretty strong abrasive in it, as well as a chemical action. Works great on SS, however, chrome is a plating that can be abraded away if not careful. I would use it sparingly at most, and coat with something like Rejex afterward.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM
entdoc
Instructor

Yes - I would be scared to try it on chrome (but I suspect that chrome cleans up a little more easily, anyway). My tips are stainless and, given how they looked, I had very little to lose. I made a solution of the Bar Keepers friend with some water and used it on a rag. Once in solution, it certainly didn't seem abrasive at all. Also, I rinsed the tips well after I cleaned them. Once I was done, there was no visible scratching or etching - looked like brand new.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barkeeper's Friend is a mild abrasive cleanser similar to Bon Ami except that it also contains a stain/rust remover (oxalic acid). Okay on stainless steel but don't use it on any plated metals like chrome.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
yasuro
Pro

i recommend simichrome.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:37 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by entdoc
I saw the post on cleaning chrome PSE tips and thought I would mention this.

I just put my car away for the winter. It has a Tubi exhaust and what I assume are the standard stainless exhaust tips. Despite cleaning the tips regularly with a variety of expensive polishes, they had turned completely black.

I tried using Bar Keepers Friend (no affiliation - my wife buys it at Williams Sonoma but I think a number of kitchen and hardware stores now carry it). We normally use it on our pots and stainless stove top as it easliy takes off any baked on crap. The result was phenomenal - with minimal effort, it returned the exhaust tips to new condition. I would highly recommend it.

Hope that helps someone out there.

David
Thanks for the tip David. I'm going to try this when I get home.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:43 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

my oem 997.2 S tips look horrible, ill try some i guess.. mine are dark from the heat of being hard on the car.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Not to take this thread off-topic, but Barkeeper's Friend is wonderful for removing mineral deposits from home windows that get watered by sprinklers. Some of my lower windows were so bad I was considering replacement, but Barkeeper's Friend and a Scotchbrite pad scrubbed the deposits off quickly. Maybe the oxalic acid does the trick.

Quick Reply: Bar Keepers Friend and exhaust tips