Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997S as track car may suck

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Is PSM independently fused in the 997.2? I'm familiar with some other marques where the standard procedure for fully disabling PSM is to pull the ABS fuse. Perhaps a similar approach is possible with the Porsche.

Sorry to hear about the quirk, I'm sure it's tremendously frustrating.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nosubt2
This sounds like my problem exactly with the back end waging coming out of a sweeper. Let me know if you obbtain any more info to take to my dealer.
See the first 6 or 7 threads under this search ("rear bushing")

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4721365

Last edited by adfsouth; 11-02-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 997s for driving and as a track car so I could sell the race car, truck, and trailer and just do DE.
I am now having second thoughts
Two other 997 at the Daytona DE had problems with the PSM not working onthe high banking. Not good!
My 997S at Roebling road and it makes a rear shake as I exit turn two. Not all the time, but it means I do not get on the gas as I used to. Blamed on the PSM again.
I tried no PASM, PASM on, shocks on only, all combinations and still it would let me down out of that corner.
I am thinking that this new technology is not good for DE cars.
Others have reported that they replaced all this PASM with aftermarket so as to be able to race the cars.
Anyone want to trade a GT3 for a nice 997S 2006??/
OK my answer comes from a Dealer Mechanic that is also the chief for a stable of 997 race cars.
He knows the Roebling track. His explantion is I am on the throttle early and the car is not spinning the tires but making the tires hop due to rapid throttle input. Then the PSM kicks in to try and stop this nonsense. this gives the wiggle I had. His solution is to turn off the PSM while on the tack, but leave Sport on. Also I might have to hestitate getting on the throttle. He said the PSM will still come on if you really get stupid and get the car really out of sorts.
This is the best answer I have heard so far.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
maybe you should try turning PSM OFF.

my 997s limitation on the track is only me
+1

It is a magical combination of street and track.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
+1

It is a magical combination of street and track.
Doesn't matter if PSM is on or off
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Andrew,,i did notice that your butt was twitching a lot on turn 17 sebring last month when i was following you....dont know if it was the bumps or bushing issue..have you checked yours...?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is for the comfy ride to the wine & cheese club.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Stupid question, by PSM failure, do you guys mean that PSM kicks in? by applying ABS to sort out the car?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:58 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Please re-read my post...turning PSM off does not help and still tiggers PSM failure. Unfortunantly PSM either on or off is always lurking in the background.
No, you did not say that. You said you've tried it with PASM on and off, not PSM. You do know the difference, don't you? I wondered when I saw your original post because my PASM has no on/off. It only has normal and sport settings, but I figured your older model might be different.

Hint: the 'S' in one of them stands for 'suspension' and in the other it stands for 'stability'. What you describe sounds like an intervention to maintain stability. The only way I know of to induce that with PSM set to 'off' is when both front wheels enter the ABS range. That seems unlikely leaving a corner so it doesn't sound like vehicle error.

By the way, did you know the GT3 has PSM as well?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:33 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Stupid question, by PSM failure, do you guys mean that PSM kicks in? by applying ABS to sort out the car?
Yeah, I've been curious about that too. You guys do sound like you're continuing a conversation begun elsewhere. Can you give the rest of us a glossary?

Neither the problem the OP described nor MDrums's issue sound like a failure at all. I'm not clear why PSM is on at all if we're talking about an experienced driver on a track, but each to his own. But assuming it is on, where is the failure? And who decided it was PSM and not something else? The bushing problem adfsouth describes seems a much more likely cause for such behavior.

Furthermore, we don't take race cars onto banking without modifying the suspension specifically for the track we're visiting. I appreciate you'd like a universal car, but no one makes one. A superb road and track car does not mean one that goes anywhere and does anything. Our full race cars do not, so why should we expect that of a car that has to throw civil road behavior into the design?

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but damn it, the Carrera S is a road car that loves going on tracks. Not a race car with fenders and street legal lights. If you want to run the banking at Daytona to have fun for an afternoon, that's fine. I'd like to myself if I didn't live on the wrong coast. But if you want to race at Daytona, then get a race set-up on your suspension. Remove all the road bushings and replace them with steel, change the springs, put in a roll bar and... oh, I remembered a short cut: buy a GT3 Cup.

Gary, a bit grumpy tonight, but glad he
isn't driving a race car to a wine tasting
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by simsgw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums
Please re-read my post...turning PSM off does not help and still tiggers PSM failure. Unfortunantly PSM either on or off is always lurking in the background.

No, you did not say that. You said you've tried it with PASM on and off, not PSM. You do know the difference, don't you? I wondered when I saw your original post because my PASM has no on/off. It only has normal and sport settings, but I figured your older model might be different.
Forgive me, MDrums. When you said to "re-read your post" I referred back to the first post. The one by the OP. It was he who said that about PASM.

My mistake,

Gary
Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

Hint: the 'S' in one of them stands for 'suspension' and in the other it stands for 'stability'. What you describe sounds like an intervention to maintain stability. The only way I know of to induce that with PSM set to 'off' is when both front wheels enter the ABS range. That seems unlikely leaving a corner so it doesn't sound like vehicle error.

By the way, did you know the GT3 has PSM as well?
This thread really is a continuation of another one - where he notes that even if you turn PSM off on the Carrera, it will turn itself back on under certain circumstances (extreme banking at Daytone being one). I'm assuming that the GT3 does not do the same thing.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

I bought my 997s for driving and as a track car so I could sell the race car, truck, and trailer and just do DE.
I am now having second thoughts
Two other 997 at the Daytona DE had problems with the PSM not working onthe high banking. Not good!
My 997S at Roebling road and it makes a rear shake as I exit turn two. Not all the time, but it means I do not get on the gas as I used to. Blamed on the PSM again.
I tried no PASM, PASM on, shocks on only, all combinations and still it would let me down out of that corner.
I am thinking that this new technology is not good for DE cars.
Others have reported that they replaced all this PASM with aftermarket so as to be able to race the cars.
Anyone want to trade a GT3 for a nice 997S 2006??/
is your suspension totaly stock or moded?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:55 AM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Default 997s might suck

My car is stock except for Eibach springs and I had an agressive alignment that I have had before
Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

My car is stock except for Eibach springs and I had an agressive alignment that I have had before
no disrespect, but it would be hard to blame the factory PSM program when the suspension has been altered.

My suggestion is to call Porsche Motorsports in California and see if they have any suggestions. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 997S as track car may suck