Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheels - cheap vs expensive

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009 | 10:27 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you can get a look at the new 911 Sport Classic images that show the Fuchs-like wheels (which I suspect ARE made by Fuchs for Porsche in Germany), then you'll get an idea of what I can't quite show you yet.
Yeah I never really thought about the Fuchs look on modern cars, but the wheels on the Sport Classic are intriguing. I look forward to seeing your pics at some point!
Old 10-30-2009 | 05:34 AM
EvilBoffin
Intermediate

Question Question for Edgy01 ...

Dan -

Will those 997 Fuchs-Look's be available in the same sizes as your OEM XRR Carrera Sport's - 19x8.5f and 19x11.5r ?? We really need another source for quality, lightweight wheels in that size combo and in a semi-reasonable price range, hopefully. Most decent aftermarket wheels (Champion's and few others being the pricey exceptions) are offered in 8.5" front / 11.0" rear only, which Porsche never offered as an OEM combination.

The reason for my question is -
I plan to autocross my recently-purchased '07 997S in the SCCA SuperStock (SS) class, and this car needs as much front wheel & tire width as is it can get to help reduce understeer. But to be legal for this class, you can only run factory-available wheel diameter & width combos (dealer-installed doesn't count). The XRR's offer the best OEM sizes for this situation, but they are just too heavy and expensive to be considered optimal for such competition situations.

And I do agree with the OP: spending $5k on a set of Champion's - even knowing how light, strong & pretty they are - just tends to make me take a long ....... pause .......
Old 10-30-2009 | 06:47 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Dan:

I do love Fuchs and have several sets in 16" for my '83 SC ( current track car) The originals are strong yet very light. Have always loved the style. For new folks they were the standard wheel on 911's up to the mid 70's when the cast cookie cutter became the standard wheel ( cost cuts) I run 7's in the front and 8's in the rear on my Sc. I will probably go ahead and get BBS for the Cayman. that is the wheel on my C2S and I'm happy with them. That said the new Fuchs that Porsche is bringing out in limited quantities look great
Old 10-30-2009 | 10:57 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Interesting discussion.

FYI - my OEM Carrera S II wheels are stamped made in Italy (and are also different in that they don't have the offsets on the face). Apparently someone in Italy also makes wheels for Porsche

Quick Reply: wheels - cheap vs expensive