Sponsored by:

Wheel fitment on a narrow body 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel fitment on a narrow body 997

So, I am looking at a narrow body 997 (C-2 Cab), and I run 17" snow tires in the winter on my present narrow body 996 (C-2 Coupe). Does anyone know if the 17" snow tires/wheels will fit? I have seen conflicting reports in my "search" -- Has anybody done this?

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

I think you need to start moving forward. Although the 17s may fit a straight 997 (non-S) you're going to find that Porsche recommends the Carrera III wheel for that application for the 997 models. Nearly all the 18 and 19 inch rims will even take snow chains, except the Carrera Sport (XRR) rims. That's why I have the Carrera III 18 inch rims--for snow tires. Everyone else seems to be accepting the larger rims, perhaps you need to consider going to the 18s and 19s. I understand why you want to do this--that that you can run the same snow tires and rims on the new car, but try not to make such decisions all because of a wheel size.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I think you need to start moving forward. Although the 17s may fit a straight 997 (non-S) you're going to find that Porsche recommends the Carrera III wheel for that application for the 997 models. Nearly all the 18 and 19 inch rims will even take snow chains, except the Carrera Sport (XRR) rims. That's why I have the Carrera III 18 inch rims--for snow tires. Everyone else seems to be accepting the larger rims, perhaps you need to consider going to the 18s and 19s. I understand why you want to do this--that that you can run the same snow tires and rims on the new car, but try not to make such decisions all because of a wheel size.
Appreciate your thoughts. If I spring for the car, however, most of my mod monies will be gone for a while, and I already own the 17"ers. None-the-less, your points are well taken - I'll see what happens with my offer on the car.......Thanks!

Quick Reply: Wheel fitment on a narrow body 997