Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your use of protective film on your Porsche.
Paint only
19.23%
Headlights only
2.56%
Both paint and headlights
38.46%
Neither paint nor headlights
39.74%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Paint/Headlight Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint/Headlight Protection Film

It appears that many of us turn to paint protection film to shield our Porsches from roadway debris, but what about headlight protection film?

The headlights certainly seem vulnerable to chipping and pitting, but I seldom hear owners mention use of this particular type of film. Personally, I use both and could not be happier with the appearance and protective qualities of the film on my car. The paint protection film was dealer installed and I installed XPEL headlight protection film (see http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp) on the vehicle myself.

Just thought I would introduce a poll on protective film, generally, but would appreciate any feedback---good or bad---regarding your experiences with headlight protection film, particularly.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a car...drive and enjoy...btw no film on my car. I like it natural, you tend to loose sensation with protection.
abe
Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a full film package on my '06 C2S - just about everywhere - including headlights. It's from a company called Clear Amor and seems to be pretty decent (better be as the PO spent $1500 on it). Been on for 4 years and no peeling or yellowing yet but only 9K miles on the car and it's Seal Grey so isn't as obvious as with some other colors. I don't really like it on the front as it looks like a bad paint job but this application is as good as the best I've seen.

Now I need a clear film for the entire windshield as I just got a nice little pit from a rock yesterday and I've only put 600 miles on the car so far. Boo-hoo, that's the way it goes... ha.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....and abe is right by the way!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Originally Posted by abe
...no film on my car. I like it natural, you tend to loose sensation with protection.
abe
Pretty funny, Abe. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Originally Posted by bradyb
Now I need a clear film for the entire windshield...
Have you looked into protective film for windshields? A company called ClearPlex (see http://www.clearplex.com/) apparently offers such a product. Might be worth investigating.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:23 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHDX2
Have you looked into protective film for windshields? A company called ClearPlex (see http://www.clearplex.com/) apparently offers such a product. Might be worth investigating.
I had to replace my windshield within a matter of days of buying new. Huge rock chip right in the center of the driver's vision point.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I had to replace my windshield within a matter of days of buying new. Huge rock chip right in the center of the driver's vision point.
Ouch---that’s painful to hear. Chip-free driving from here on out!

Last edited by PHDX2; 10-30-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Its a car...drive and enjoy...btw no film on my car. I like it natural, you tend to loose sensation with protection.
abe
Perhaps you LOSE some sensation, because things are really LOOSE there....
Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i tend to think that you need protection if you're using it more or taking it places that pose more risk...
Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 AM
erenyes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Perhaps you LOSE some sensation, because things are really LOOSE there....
She is getting a little long in the tooth....
Old 10-30-2009, 08:49 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Out of curiosity, I checked into ClearPlex windshield protection film (see http://www.clearplex.com/) today, calling an installer listed on the company’s website. The installer quoted a fee of $150.00 and indicated that the film lasts approximately 12 months, after which it would need to be replaced, as clarity diminishes resulting from wear and tear. Abrasions caused by windshield wiper blades are a common culprit. Despite the short life span of the product, the installer communicated that customers have been very satisfied with the film.

The installer was located in Utah, home of ClearPlex, but, according to the company’s website, installers also are located in Pennsylvania. These locations certainly are out of my travel area, but perhaps other Rennlist members might be able to benefit.

Interesting product.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:47 AM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I purchased my used 2007 C4S two months ago it had a rock chip in windshield. I contacted my local Novus franchise dealer and they came out to the house, repaired it in less than an hour with NO cost to me (it goes through your insurance company and does NOT raise the rates because they would rather repair a windshield than replace one, regardless of your deductible). Check for a NOVUS franchise near you: www.novusglass.com. The repair is barely noticeable. BTW they also repaired a more serious rock chip "spider" chip on my BMW that a windshield company said would not be repairable , and it came out excellent. They have a patented process for repairing glass and it was very interesting to watch and to see the alteration from damage to repair.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:14 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Looks like this poll has run its course. Thanks to all for participating!

Quick Reply: Paint/Headlight Protection Film