Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting after "Depress Clutch Pedal"

Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM
s4r
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting after "Depress Clutch Pedal"

I am having some issues with starting my 2008 C2S Cabriolet and thought that others may have come across this. When starting the car, I often get the oil level measurement thing come up on the computer. It seems to happen every 2-5 times that the key is inserted. Sometimes it takes the full 6 seconds and sometimes the oil reading goes off after 2-3 seconds. So after waiting for the reading I get the Depress Clutch Pedal notice and then after depressing the pedal, with the key turned to start, nothing happens. This can go on for 4-5 tries before the car will start. Sometimes it wants to go into the measuring oil level mode again. Sometimes I jump in and it starts right up. I suspected that the clutch pedal switch may be the problem, but why would the computer want to keep measuring the oil level.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You are not alone! I've had similar problems starting my '07 C4S, to the point where I was questioning whether I was doing everything right. I took it to the dealer and they did replace the clutch micro-switch, although I'm not convinced it was failing.

It used to be so easy.
On a 964 I just pop the key in, twist and off we go.
In a 993 I have to disable the immobilizer by double-clicking the key fob twice before it will start.
On the 997 ... I feel like I have to enter into negotiations with the clutch micro-switch and the immobilizer ... and it often just won't start for a number of attempts.

Try this and see if it makes a difference. Turn the key to the LEFT first. This will reset the immobilizer circuit. Then depress the clutch completely and turn all the way to the right and see if it starts more consistently. (The owners manual also says to "step on the brake" however I'm not sure if the brake micro-switch is part of the interlock system, perhaps.) If that doesn't help then we can try to capture and analyze all our inputs; some combination of left-twist,right-twist,depress ultimately works. I'm just not sure what I'm doing differently when it doesn't start than when it does.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

You do not need to wait for the oil reading to start the car... and I bet if you don't the starter circuit does not time out. Incidentally... oil level should be read when the engine is warm and does not need to be done on every start.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM
s4r
Intermediate

Thanks ez, I will try that and a few other combinations and see how it turns out.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:12 AM
CMOS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the clutch switch on my 2007 C4S fail at about 9,000 mi.
It would keep saying "depress clutch pedal" even though I had the pedal firmly to the floor.
Dealer replaced the switch under warranty and it's not an issue any more.
I suggest you get it straightened out at the dealer soon as it could leave you stranded if the switch fails completely.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
s4r
Intermediate

Turns out that it was a faulty clutch switch. Replaced under warranty.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Something else to watch out for is that it won't start if the steering has not unlocked. Normally it will unlock when you turn the key but if there is any pressure on the locking mechanism it may not - in which case a jiggle of the wheel fixes it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting after "Depress Clutch Pedal"