2009 4S - Towed to Dealer !

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 AM
cnesq
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 4S - Towed to Dealer !

Hi,

I am new to this board eventhough, this is my fourth Carrera. I kind of worked my way up from a 84 SC, then a 2001 Carrera, then 2007 S Carrera, and now a 2009 Carrera 4S. I love Porsches, but last night my new 4S which is about 45 days new, with 2100 miles on her broke down!

I driven it about 12 miles and as I was pulling into my underground garage it started to gargle and suddenly stalled. I started it again and it ran for about 30 seconds and then stalled again. It was emitting a heavy white smoke which was caused by a clear liquid (water/gasoline) evaporating from the exhaust tips and a strong odor of gasoline. In fact, it was so bad it was actually dripping this liquid from both exhausts. I left the vehicle and ran for dear life fearing it was going to explode. After about 10 to 15 minutes the smoke subsided but the strong odor of gasoline persisted.

I called Porsche Roadside Service and was given a pick-up time of 8 am the next morning. At 8:25 am I called to check on the tow and they had no record of it? and stupid me I had not kept the confirmation number. So they apologized and set it up again and told me to stick around for another hour or so. The flatbed tow showed up and competently delivered by car to a local Porsche dealer.

I was given a Cayenne and sent on my way. The service adviser called me four hours later and told me that the car was running okay, and that the liquid dripping from the exhausts was only water vapor. (the tow truck operator even had come to the conclusion that it was gasoline in fact he was worried about it exploding because I had to start it to get it out of the underground garage but it stalled in about 30 seconds or so. They are keeping it over the weekend because they are going to replace the high pressure pump? just as a precaution.

The only modification I have is a Fabspeed by-pass pipe. Any thoughts, suggestions?

I will post photos when I get my car back. Thanks, and sorry it is so long.

cnesq
Old 10-24-2009, 05:09 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Can't diagnose your problem but even as reliable as these cars are, s**t happens. Hope it's back on the road Monday!

Meanwhile, I see you are one letter short of me, almost makes you a poser, but I alone am me and nobody comes close!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problem that you are experiencing with your Porsche. Did you receive any warning message on the vehicle's computer display?

As for what might possibly be causing this issue, I have no idea, but there are at least some parallels with the account listed here:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...e-problem.html

Best of luck with the repair. I'm sure that the issue will be resolved quickly.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:45 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

I would take it to another dealer for another opinion.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
Hope it was nothing...almost sounds like a car that lost its "spark" and got flooded...ignition type problem or loose battery cable, who knows with these modern cars.
abe
Old 10-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq

Meanwhile, I see you are one letter short of me, almost makes you a poser, but I alone am me and nobody comes close!
Yeah,

I thought you it was you until I checked the avatar
Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Can't diagnose your problem but even as reliable as these cars are, s**t happens. Hope it's back on the road Monday!

Only common issue i have heard of is the fuel pump - likely is that.

Jim - I thought it was you for a sec and that you bought a new car Hope you are well.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Symptoms point to a HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) failure. This happened on early 09s. Easy fix.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As ADias suggests, we have been seeing a trend on the HPFP issue for the DI engines. Once your service shop is aware that you had a problem, they will probably go to the governing TSB and perform that repair and you should be good to go again--hopefully, forever. While we have to applaud the remarkable capabilities of these cars (more power, less emissions, etc.), there is a price to pay in complexity. And sometimes, that gets us stuck! A perfect example (albeit simplistic) is the water pump on my 997S. I have been driving Porsches since 1974 and NEVER have had a water pump failure. Ever. (Then again, this is the first Porsche for me to own with a water pump--and it failed!) That's not good.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:32 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am one of those whose HPFP failed. I never had the smoke symptom you described a preventative replacement is not a bad thing. If they have the parts it is a half day job. And you get new coolant too.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cnesq
Hi,

I am new to this board eventhough, this is my fourth Carrera. I kind of worked my way up from a 84 SC, then a 2001 Carrera, then 2007 S Carrera, and now a 2009 Carrera 4S. I love Porsches, but last night my new 4S which is about 45 days new, with 2100 miles on her broke down!

I driven it about 12 miles and as I was pulling into my underground garage it started to gargle and suddenly stalled. I started it again and it ran for about 30 seconds and then stalled again. It was emitting a heavy white smoke which was caused by a clear liquid (water/gasoline) evaporating from the exhaust tips and a strong odor of gasoline. In fact, it was so bad it was actually dripping this liquid from both exhausts. I left the vehicle and ran for dear life fearing it was going to explode. After about 10 to 15 minutes the smoke subsided but the strong odor of gasoline persisted.

I called Porsche Roadside Service and was given a pick-up time of 8 am the next morning. At 8:25 am I called to check on the tow and they had no record of it? and stupid me I had not kept the confirmation number. So they apologized and set it up again and told me to stick around for another hour or so. The flatbed tow showed up and competently delivered by car to a local Porsche dealer.

I was given a Cayenne and sent on my way. The service adviser called me four hours later and told me that the car was running okay, and that the liquid dripping from the exhausts was only water vapor. (the tow truck operator even had come to the conclusion that it was gasoline in fact he was worried about it exploding because I had to start it to get it out of the underground garage but it stalled in about 30 seconds or so. They are keeping it over the weekend because they are going to replace the high pressure pump? just as a precaution.

The only modification I have is a Fabspeed by-pass pipe. Any thoughts, suggestions?

I will post photos when I get my car back. Thanks, and sorry it is so long.

cnesq
Have you been dong alot of short trips lately? Were you driving "down" into the garage?

What could have happened is water has accumulated in the exhaust system and upon going down the garage drive -- some can be quite steep -- the water ran forward a bit and the noise you heard was the water and exhaust gurgling.

I've seen vehicles pull away from a stop light on level ground and a cup or more of water comes surging out. A few times I've been behind the same vehicle at a second or even third light and some water comes out every time the vehicle pulls away.

When you get the car back have someone follow you while you drive the car normally and report if they can see any water coming from the exhaust pipe exits.

The gas smell is a normal smell with an engine. I believe that if raw gas had been running out of the exhaust pipes the CEL would have been on, possibly even flashing.

The converters would oxidize (burn) most of that gas and would have gotten extremely hot in no time.

I believe these new engines will tend to accumulate more water in their oil and generate more water vapor, or make that cooler water vapor than the older engines. The most obvious result will be substantially more water coming out of the exhaust.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
... I believe these new engines will tend to accumulate more water in their oil and generate more water vapor, or make that cooler water vapor than the older engines. The most obvious result will be substantially more water coming out of the exhaust.
Why do you say that? There 's nothing in the 9A1 design that would lead to that. And of it did, it would be serious trouble. It just does not happen.

The OP could have a lot of moisture in the exhaust cans due to condensation. But I think his problem is not that. I bet it is a bad HPFP.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i still wonder if i have HPFP issues but dont feel like driving an hour to porsche for them to be like "no u dont, adios"

i have long starts sometimes and sluggish after starts,.. but i never have WOT studdering...
Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 AM
cnesq
AutoX

The only indications came after it stalled the dash lighted up and told me to "visit a workshop" like I could not have figured that part out myself. Just regular driving - some short trips but some long ones also. The garage entrance is not sloped so it would not cause water to flood the engine if there was water in the exhaust system.

The dealer was trying to insinuate that the problem could have been from the Fabspeed Bypass but when I pushed him he said it was most likely the high pressure fuel pump.

Well, I will keep the board updated - and I am hoping that I get it back tomorrow. But to my surprise the Cayanne loaner I have is not that bad. (six cylinder stick shift).
Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, of course they tried to blame it on the exhaust, never fails.

+1 on the fuel pump or the venturi tubes.

Quick Reply: 2009 4S - Towed to Dealer !