Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HRE Wheels -- Thoughts / Quality ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HRE Wheels -- Thoughts / Quality ?

I have been snooping around for an additional set of
wheels for my 997 and have seen several sharp HRE wheels
at the P Dealer and in magazines.

What are your thoughts on the quality of these wheels
for the price (they are high priced) and what
is their history (are they tied to Porsche in any way)?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:23 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

too much bling for me personally.

they are expensive, but also known for their quality

if it were me, i'd go Champion RG5's
Old 10-22-2009, 03:07 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a good link for comparing choices:
http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...uction=&car=19
Most wheels there are shown on a variety of 911s for a better idea of the look.

and another with some opinions and responses from HRE:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...?highlight=hre

HRE have very nice wheels, but maybe too much bling for me too - I'd like a set of RUF wheels unless the new Fuchs SC wheels become available. Champion RS184 are close, but RUF looks more beefy.

My other consideration is ease of clean up.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
jerry1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had a set of HRE P40's on order from Wheel Enhancement since Sept 9. Was told two to three weeks delivery. Called in late Sept. and was advised factory was out of blanks for the fronts, would be another 6 to 8 weeks. I called HRE and confirmed. Waiting somewhat patiently, lol.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i will be ordering P40's when my Volks sell.. great wheels.. maybe a little expensive for what you get, but sexy none the less.. i hate how everyone has them but i love how they resemble the RS spyder/racing wheels.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

The HRE monoblock series (which includes the P40) are light, one piece, and very well engineered and designed. The P40 has more sculpted details than the photos reveal, it is quite a piece of artwork in its own right. The offsets are perfect, obviating the need for spacers. The set I got for my C2S Cab came in at $5400 w/ the brushed and coated aluminum centers w/ crests which is not a lot of money on a car that lists for $120K. FWIW I received excellent service from Wheel Enhancement.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Take alook at Forgeline wheels.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I really like the P40s as well. If I get another 997, I will get a set...and I would get them from WheelEnhancement. They have provided me with excellent service over the years.

HRE came on the scene as a 'bling' wheel, but they have been earning a good reputation with the more performance-oriented enthusiast in recent years, despite not having a history of racing behind them.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a set of P40's on my car. Could not be happier. Overall quality is outstanding and the finish is perfect. I also think the P43's look great as well, especially on a narrow body. I actually think the P40's look better on widebody's and/or Cab's and P43's look better on narrowbody coupes (just my opinion of course).

For those that say they are to common on Porsche's, I guess I'm either lucky or I live out here in the boondocks of the Pacific Northwest because I have yet to come across a single Porsche (or any car for that matter) wearing HRE monoblocks (P40's or P43's). I've come across a few cars running HRE's but they were the older 3-piece styles. Even in my most recent outing with the local chapter of PCA, my car was the only one running HRE's.

Bummer to hear that the wait has gotten pretty long on these. When I ordered mine from Dan at Vividracing back in May, I ordered them on a Thursday over the phone, they arrived the following Tuesday and they were mounted and I was rolling down the street with them on the next day. Total time from ordering to having them on my car was four days.

Here's a picture. Not to blingy for me.
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 AM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The HRE monoblock series (which includes the P40) are light, one piece, and very well engineered and designed. The P40 has more sculpted details than the photos reveal, it is quite a piece of artwork in its own right. The offsets are perfect, obviating the need for spacers. The set I got for my C2S Cab came in at $5400 w/ the brushed and coated aluminum centers w/ crests which is not a lot of money on a car that lists for $120K. FWIW I received excellent service from Wheel Enhancement.
Looks great on your white cab.

FWIW to the OP and anybody else looking, Dan at Vividracing offered me a tremendous credit on my OEM lobsters when I bought my HRE's. I shipped my lobsters back in the box the HRE's came in and I got my credit on my credit card one day after he received the lobsters. This certainly helped ease the hit on the price of the HRE's (and most importantly it helped me sell the HRE's to the wife )
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running P43's on my car. Very happy with the quality and strength. They've taken some big hits without so much as a ding or bend which is much more than I can say for 3-piece wheels i've run in the past.

They are not much lighter than the Lobster Forks. Maybe 1lb per corner. Lobsters are pretty light already. Ditto that on WheelEnhancement.com... Great guys and excellent service. Here's a some pics.
Attached Images     
Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 PM
porschestrabeturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love my p43's
Old 10-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the P40's and can tell you the quality is excellent and I haven't had any problems at all. I like the look and don't think they are "bling" at all. If they were chrome that would be another story.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My P43 is brush aluminum, so it does not have the bling look. Its offset is perfect with my cab.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:46 AM
s4r
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had HRE 545 for about a year. I got them from GMP which advertises here on Rennlist. Cost was about $5500 or so. They are great looking wheels and seem to be well made. Very customizable where you can order polishing in certain areas, brushed in others etc. I got the inside black so that you don't see all of the brake dust. The wait was about 3 weeks.

HOWEVER, I am in Charlotte NC which has pretty decent streets. I have found that I have gotten flat small flat spots on the outer rims without having hit any large potholes. It could be the 19 inch low profile run flat tires, but I find that I drive around very defensivly looking at the road surface to protect my wheels.

That is a great deal on the credit for the stock lobsters. I wish GMP had done that.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: HRE Wheels -- Thoughts / Quality ?