Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK with-out Sport Chrono Package (big ben)= Bad idea? (even for the right price?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK with-out Sport Chrono Package (big ben)= Bad idea? (even for the right price?)

Seems most of the remaining 2009 C2S's don't have the Sport Chrono package but they do have a big discount.

Is it a bad idea to buy a PDK without Sport Chrono? It's held is such high esteem on Rennlist, I am thinking a 911 without Sport Chrono is a really bad idea.

IMO, it looks like a wind up Big Ben clock my grandparents had. But if it adds performance and changes the driving experience, I can easily deal with it.

Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i know everyone goes "ape****" without the sportchrono on the PDK but honestly i dont mind it a bit.. i had sport chrono on last car and it doesnt add HP, just changes stuff around so it feels a little quicker with the same amount of gas applied....

NOW i will say launch control sounds but, but besides bragging rights.. when will you EVER use this in real life unless your a 1/4mile track junkie/egomaniac?

sport mode feels sharper when shifting (more kick) but then again, this is all bragging rights imo.. ive driven both, and owned a car with and a car without and i find it not worth the $ and especially not worth passing over a car for... definitely doesnt make the car faster.. just makes it where you push pedal less for more gas.. (so move foot more) and the shifting just makes it a tiny bit crisper.. which is "eh" to me.

i bought my 997.2pdk without and dont miss it one bit..
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
keenan9
Rennlist Member

Test drove a couple of PDK cars without Sport Chrono, and fell in love with the PDK transmission. That said I got my car with the Sport Chrono package. Taking delivery this Friday.

You will love it either way. I was actually very close to pulling the trigger on one of the 2009 cars without Sport Chrono becuase it was such a fantastic deal (better than 20% off MSRP).
Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Either way is great but if you want the ultimate performance the Sport Chrono unlocks othe rfeatures of PDK. Drive both and check it out.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The car is fine without it off...but to me more fun with it in Sport. And I know I can make the car behave the same way in M as with D-S and somewhat in D, but that doesn't mean it's not a fun feature. And I'm not sure any of that is something you will appreciate with short test drives - maybe if you really focus on it. I didn't.

SC takes the two behaviors of the PDK and gives you six. Sport+ you may rarely use, but in M, I sometimes like the shifting response.

The actual chrono clock bit, I've never sorted out - maybe one day I will. The clock can swivel - that's my latest discovery and about as far as I am with it.

There are other things it gives you in terms of personalizing the car that you may otherwise have to get the dealer to do (if they can - ask if you care about these):

- auto-door locking on/off
- brightness of orientation light on bottom of mirror
- drl behavior
- welcome home lighting delay
- rain sensor wiper activation behavior
- A/C startup behavior
- download recorded timed lap data via USB (have to USB too)

So that's the whole deal with SC: PDK features, chronograph features, individual (tied to Key) programmed features.

If you are getting a really good deal and you don't think you will second guess yourself later without it, then there you go.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Do not have SC on my '09 C2S with PDK and do not miss it. That said the '2010 Cayman that is coming to be used as a track and autocross car will hace SC and PDK. Bottom line in normal use don't need it as PDK will shift great without it. The launch control feature of the Sc is a gimick in my book and not worth it. B y the way they do not Sc on any of the cars at the PSDS abnd they track and autocross just fine. Its your choice and either way you still have a great car with a fantastic transmission
Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 AM
arshadj
2nd Gear

The best thing to do is drive it yourself - see if you find it lacking in performance. If it feels fine, then go ahead! (My advice without injecting any ideas of my own!)

The perceived lack of performance in normal mode is because of the gear change program - it just wants to get to 7th asap. So if you're feathering it, you'll find it in 7th at 40mph! But put it in manual and you've got all the control!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sport chrono, "Sport/auto" and "Normal/auto" is night and day. You will get quicker/better throttle response with sport in either auto or manual. For me "Normal' mode is just bland. If I have to choose between PDK/no chrono or 6-speed, I will take 6-speed. No offense to others.

John
Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only dive mine in manual, but if I were to do it over I would probably get the SC for all it's functional benefits. That said I can't say how often I would actually push in a button to get better performance, the whole idea of that is ridiculous on a $100K+ Porsche which should offer it's best performance anyway, maybe a button for SC+. I can say that in auto mode the PDK is a joke, I've seen 6th gear at 28MPH.
I totally enjoy driving mine in manual mode, even in traffic.
You need to decide how you are going to drive the car, then weigh the benefit of SC especially if you plan to drive in auto vs. the discount. If you plan on driving in manual and the discount is big enough, then I wouldn't worry about the SC.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

There are a couple dozen S coupes left in the country with sports chrono, tell me what color you're interested in and I can tell you who has one.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevepow
The car is fine without it off...but to me more fun with it in Sport. And I know I can make the car behave the same way in M as with D-S and somewhat in D, but that doesn't mean it's not a fun feature. And I'm not sure any of that is something you will appreciate with short test drives - maybe if you really focus on it. I didn't.

SC takes the two behaviors of the PDK and gives you six. Sport+ you may rarely use, but in M, I sometimes like the shifting response.

The actual chrono clock bit, I've never sorted out - maybe one day I will. The clock can swivel - that's my latest discovery and about as far as I am with it.

There are other things it gives you in terms of personalizing the car that you may otherwise have to get the dealer to do (if they can - ask if you care about these):

- auto-door locking on/off
- brightness of orientation light on bottom of mirror
- drl behavior
- welcome home lighting delay
- rain sensor wiper activation behavior
- A/C startup behavior
- download recorded timed lap data via USB (have to USB too)

So that's the whole deal with SC: PDK features, chronograph features, individual (tied to Key) programmed features.

If you are getting a really good deal and you don't think you will second guess yourself later without it, then there you go.
the above settings is what i was most excited about with Sport Chrono. BUT...
auto door locking, can be set by dealer if you want.
brightness of orientation light is useless... can just adjust the main lighting at night and dim it.
drl is pointless on 997.2
welcome home has a preset 30 seconds i think, i dont know why ud wanna change.. i never did
rain sensor just allows on or manual.. i think they work too well anyways as all i get is a screech sound when on cause go too fast
AC startup was cool but stock the car just goes to what it was doing last which is usually more ideal.

laptime seemed cool until you realize you drive the car daily and you cant reallu "race" to the grocery store.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the above settings is what i was most excited about with Sport Chrono. BUT...
auto door locking, can be set by dealer if you want.
brightness of orientation light is useless... can just adjust the main lighting at night and dim it.
drl is pointless on 997.2
welcome home has a preset 30 seconds i think, i dont know why ud wanna change.. i never did
rain sensor just allows on or manual.. i think they work too well anyways as all i get is a screech sound when on cause go too fast
AC startup was cool but stock the car just goes to what it was doing last which is usually more ideal.

laptime seemed cool until you realize you drive the car daily and you cant reallu "race" to the grocery store.
Yep all true. The extra so called comfort things with SC really do not add up. The only reason to get SC is if you want the more sporting nature with Sport and Sport PLUS mode so that PDK can shift faster, either manually or in auto and to relax the PSM. IF you track or autoX the car or live somewhere that you can drive very spirited then SC is a must.

Funny thing about these forums is some of the guys that do not have SC say they do not miss it...how can you not miss what you do not have?

My best advice is to test drive a car with and with out SC...then you will know.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep all true. The extra so called comfort things with SC really do not add up. The only reason to get SC is if you want the more sporting nature with Sport and Sport PLUS mode so that PDK can shift faster, either manually or in auto and to relax the PSM. IF you track or autoX the car or live somewhere that you can drive very spirited then SC is a must.

Funny thing about these forums is some of the guys that do not have SC say they do not miss it...how can you not miss what you do not have?

My best advice is to test drive a car with and with out SC...then you will know.
funny thing is i even like manual mode, but i realize its pointless 95% of the time.. because auto shifts at better time anyways, and i love how when you brake hard the pdk drops another gear or two to put your rev's up higher, and the instant you give it any gas it downshifts perfectly and goes... people complain about "i wanna drive on the highway in 5th or 6th to get better response.. but i can drive in 7th.. and then blip gas and instantly goes.. why would anyone drive on the highway in 5th over like .02 seconds difference after a blip?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trader220
There are a couple dozen S coupes left in the country with sports chrono, tell me what color you're interested in and I can tell you who has one.
Too lazy to look up the P-Car color names but I know I like GT Silver, Silver, Blue, Gray, White. Black interior. C2S; maybe a C4S. (And as much as I like the Sport Bucket Seats I don't think I could handle them in a daily driver.)
Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Pick a top 2 color choice and what options are must have and I can tell you if its out there and where it might be

Quick Reply: PDK with-out Sport Chrono Package (big ben)= Bad idea? (even for the right price?)