Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visor warning label removal - common thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom N
I used a Torx driver to remove the mirror assembly from the car as I did on my 2002 rather than pull the mirror off the arm.
OK, I'm emboldened. So how do you take the visor off? Or did you leave that on and only remove the mirror assembly?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

OK - got it. Carefully! remove the black plastic covers around the arm at the roofliner with a trim tool - they are thin and fragile and cover an identically sized mount, so the trick is to get the trim tool between the cover and the mount and not between the mount and the roofliner. There are four tabs holding on the cover - front/back/sides - use the trim tool in a corner and gently pry. Then a torx-25 screw will be revealed.

Definitely seems better than pulling off the visor which didn't seem to want to budge.

Off to get some alcohol - wonder where to find the 3M stuff - or will Goo-gone work or lighter fluid maybe?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Off to get some alcohol - wonder where to find the 3M stuff - or will Goo-gone work or lighter fluid maybe?
3M Adhesive remover is citrus based, just as Goo-Gone is, so I would expect them to work equally well.

Keep us apprised!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

On my 06S I used the alcohol on the gray side and it came out OK, still saw a shiny spot where the sticker was. On the Black mirror cover I used a coverup, which looked great.
My visors were standard, not leather.
On my 09S I used the black coverup, I had left over on the visor side (Now Black) and ordered a new set of black mirror covers, which look great..
Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Tom N
Instructor

OK - got it. Carefully! remove the black plastic covers around the arm at the roofliner with a trim tool - they are thin and fragile and cover an identically sized mount, so the trick is to get the trim tool between the cover and the mount and not between the mount and the roofliner. There are four tabs holding on the cover - front/back/sides - use the trim tool in a corner and gently pry. Then a torx-25 screw will be revealed.

Definitely seems better than pulling off the visor which didn't seem to want to budge.

You are on the right track. 3M product is available at most auto parts stores. Mine is 15+ years old, a great product to have around.

Keep the sticker wet for 15+ minutes, and they should peel/roll off relatively easy. If not, add alcohol and soak some more.

I tugged on the visor, but the rod didn't want to let go, hence I removed the whole unit.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:19 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by RH512
Since I bought my C4S off the lot it didn't have the leather visors (XMP order code).
Suncoast shows them as special order with no stickers for $900. Anyone have a better source?
This is sign that the economy is picking up! When it's ok to spend almost a thousand bucks avoid being annoyed by a sticker. (Or is sticker actually code for stripper, and everyone here is trying to clean up some stain?)

Last edited by SeanInLA; 10-21-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

You guys are hard core! For $12 those vinyl cover ups are almost indetectable and take 5 seconds to apply!

Nice new ride Eric. I have HP envy.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 AM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
This is sign that the economy is picking up! When it's ok to spend almost a thousand bucks avoid being annoyed by a sticker. (Or is sticker actually code for stripper, and everyone here is trying to clean up some stain?)
Old 10-22-2009, 01:44 AM
jonezy
Advanced

Default no choice

someone tucke a porsche quick guide on the top of the visor and the label melted or stuck on to it so when removed it tore the corner off the label, so I dont have much choice.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

OK. Success.

First, I don't think a cover label is going to work on a Sand/Beige car. I cannot believe a non OEM product is going to match. Unless your car is black, probably forget about that.

Second, the process on that link works and what an improvement. My bathroom now smells like an ER, but that's OK.

My mods to the process:

1 - remove the entire assembly - just seems more correct and my visor did not want to let go anyway.

2 - 91% alcohol and don't even think about less than 15 minutes.

3 - careful pulling as noted - go slowly and DON'T let the edges stick/rip and stay on or they will be hard to remove - it all needs to come off in one piece as described. It's like a piece of rubber - like a balloon.

4 - No paper towels for clean up - use a rugged shop cloth or similar with some teeth to it. The adhesive is strong and fights back. A paper towel is not tough enough.

5 - Goo-Gone is useless. I resorted to WD40 and some strong vinyl interior cleaner. These visors are probably the toughest part of the car - they'll be around when man is long extinct. Maybe the 3M stuff would work, or maybe that lighter fluid someone suggested is a better idea. Start with the least harsh and work your way up just to be safe.

6 - The Sand/Beige side was a lot of work getting it clean - and, as most comment, there's a shiny rectangle left, but not so bad - leagues better than the warning label. And a little vinyl dressing seems to have "blended" it a bit so that it is barely noticeable.

7 - the mirror side was cake - label came off after 15 sec, some WD40 followed by the vinyl interior cleaner and not a sign of it left - like it was never there.

Looks great now - I mean so much better.

Thanks for Tom N suggesting the torx screw and removing the entire thing. That's where I got hung up the last time I started on this; the visor didn't seem to want to twist off and I thought, better to just live with it. NOT!

Half way into it, I was thinking, well $900 doesn't sound so bad and then I'd have leather too...

Seriously, if you hate the labels just go for it - not that bad after-all. Check that off the bucket list.

Last edited by stevepow; 10-22-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:54 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
35 years from now (if we are still here) we are going to be fighting for those stickers when we restore our cars.
abe
abe's off his meds again.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Tom N
Instructor

OK. Success.

First, I don't think a cover label is going to work on a Sand/Beige car. I cannot believe a non OEM product is going to match. Unless your car is black, probably forget about that.

Second, the process on that link works and what an improvement. My bathroom now smells like an ER, but that's OK.

My mods to the process:

1 - remove the entire assembly - just seems more correct and my visor did not want to let go anyway.

2 - 91% alcohol and don't even think about less than 15 minutes.

3 - careful pulling as noted - go slowly and DON'T let the edges stick/rip and stay on or they will be hard to remove - it all needs to come off in one piece as described. It's like a piece of rubber - like a balloon.

4 - No paper towels for clean up - use a rugged shop cloth or similar with some teeth to it. The adhesive is strong and fights back. A paper towel is not tough enough.

5 - Goo-Gone is useless. I resorted to WD40 and some strong vinyl interior cleaner. These visors are probably the toughest part of the car - they'll be around when man is long extinct. Maybe the 3M stuff would work, or maybe that lighter fluid someone suggested is a better idea. Start with the least harsh and work your way up just to be safe.

6 - The Sand/Beige side was a lot of work getting it clean - and, as most comment, there's a shiny rectangle left, but not so bad - leagues better than the warning label. And a little vinyl dressing seems to have "blended" it a bit so that it is barely noticeable.

7 - the mirror side was cake - label came off after 15 sec, some WD40 followed by the vinyl interior cleaner and not a sign of it left - like it was never there.

Looks great now - I mean so much better.

Thanks for Tom N suggesting the torx screw and removing the entire thing. That's where I got hung up the last time I started on this; the visor didn't seem to want to twist off and I thought, better to just live with it. NOT!

Half way into it, I was thinking, well $900 doesn't sound so bad and then I'd have leather too...

Seriously, if you hate the labels just go for it - not that bad after-all. Check that off the bucket list.
Steve,

Your post coupled with the Renntech photos from Orient Express should become the definitive treatise on the visor decal removal process.

Point 4 is important. You need a rag for the final glue removal, not paper towel. Point 2 was the big difference for me this time vs. the 02. Let it soak!

Congrats on refining the cheapest way to improve the look of the interior.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
nfldcoffee
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the link to the ebay Item number: 130339635261 for cover-up decals , which are only $15 for a set of two and, in my opinion, is the safest and best solution .
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i ordered the leather visors from suncoast - nice stitching and they have a nice map light on the passenger side visor.

$1k - what the h@ll - they really are nice; actually as the ad says, i think they are priceless!
Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i ordered the leather visors from suncoast - nice stitching and they have a nice map light on the passenger side visor.
Don't both visors have the lights? (I always had the leather visors, so that's all I know).

Quick Reply: Visor warning label removal - common thinking?